• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Diggis Contemplates BAT

Started by Diggis, June 23, 2008, 01:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Hey, Next up I'll do some transitions to Cal's canals, haven't done that yet.   They also work really well with Mas's works too, which was a happy coincedence.  I'm not sure how much would be involved in matching SG's original work, but given the number of models and lots, it's no small task.  I'll see how I go.  I want to create a set with a grass bank texture, then some pieces for the banks and water for interest as well.

Diggis

OK, I've been working on Waterfalls...  I saw you perk up Pat...  :P $%Grinno$%

I've been working on the top and the bottom piece, and have a few pics to pique your interest:

Pat

LoL Shaun its almost as you was talking to me lol.... Looking real good there, just a small thought is to have the falls a litte bit wider and irregular if that is possible... Other then that I cant wait to see them in game!! Ohh btw did you make a dock pieces at all?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Diggis

Quote from: Pat on August 19, 2008, 10:30:35 AM
LoL Shaun its almost as you was talking to me lol.... Looking real good there, just a small thought is to have the falls a litte bit wider and irregular if that is possible... Other then that I cant wait to see them in game!! Ohh btw did you make a dock pieces at all?

Thanks Pat.  These are for the stream, and there isn't too much I can do to make them more irregular, although I have some plans for the edges a little.  I will do some for the ponds which will have a bit more flexability.  There is also some effects on the lot to give motion to it.

I haven't done dock pieces yet, but have a plan to do a bits and pieces set including small docks and beaches.

Pat

sweet OK I can't to get ahold of the streams waterfalls and then the ponds  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

callagrafx

Those are probably more suited to a less steep drop...to make them more realistic, the water should be predominantly white IMO, at the mo, they look more like rapids than falls. 

Also, waterfalls don't have edges to them at all, and end up in a pool, so a 2 tile wide x 2 tile deep LOT for the base with a pool might be worth thinking about.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?ndsp=21&um=1&hl=en&q=waterfall&start=0&sa=N
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

OK, in light of Lee's comments I've been working on a slightly different approach.  It was something I was trying to figure out earlier and gave up on, but have tried again...
My initial test:

My latest rock face:

I'm going to add a few details in there, plus some texturing and there is a issue with the water colour which I need to fix.

Oh, and this is only a test for the top, I'll do a custom base or two for it too, along with a variation for the top too.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

Jmouse

I see quite a bit of improvement over your last photos, Shaun. Don't know how the water-modeling process works, so I can't be of any help in that area. But if you're interested in random observations, you need to take care that the water doesn't appear to run uphill before going over the falls. I'm really impressed with the progress you've made, though, and I know you'll get the details worked out.

Later...
JMS

Pat

oooh wow!!! its all I can say shaun, this is the most realistic falls Ive seen and Im so glad you are not gonna give up on this one...

FrankU

Well, this is a very interesting approach that I haven't seen before on any SC4 location.
The waterfall is quite realistic. Very good!
It reminds me of some waterfalls in RL that I visited where you can walk behind the falling water... Always a romantic-mysterious place with lots of moss, water and darkness.

art128

very interesting  :P i like it as well  &apls
nice work diggis ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

paroch

Great stuff Shaun - these will be VERY popular when you get em done and dusted.  The element of transparency (or at least perceived transparency) in that last picture is a very nice touch.

Diggis

Taken a break from waterfalls for the day, have begun work on a variety pack for the water.  This will be part of a small series to add life to your waterways.

nerdly_dood

That dude has a HUGE bobber there :D But othersiee it's a great start on this variety pack!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

callagrafx

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 29, 2008, 03:50:32 PM
That dude has a HUGE bobber there :D But othersiee it's a great start on this variety pack!

Carp fisherman  :D :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jmouse

Very clever, Shaun! Mmmm, didn't I already tell you that today? ;) Anyway, the props in the boat are a really nice touch. Anxious to see what other ideas you come up with for this series.

Later...
Joan

Pat

Shaun looking real good there if I do say so!!! So what else is planned if you dont mind me asking?

Diggis

Thanks everyone.  I'll try get some more pics today if I get to it.

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 29, 2008, 03:50:32 PM

Yeah, it's the smallest size that will show up in game.  Any smaller and it dissapears.

art128

<WOW> Amazing detail diggis  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CasperVg

Very nice, I've used your pond/river kit today, and I'm really impressed, great work on it, and I'm looking forward to the Variety Pack.  :thumbsup:

Maybe you could do some canoes in various colors, perhaps with a prop family for random colors.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube