• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Highways!

Started by Travis, April 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonjumper

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Risu

Quote from: canyonjumper on April 05, 2011, 05:58:02 PM
marsh, stop showing off :P
Yeah! >:( You make us all look like scrubs!

...Wait a minute....

Opkl

In marsh's picture, why are the cars going the wrong way? Did anyone else noticed that? I love the water texture and the trees btw. :thumbsup:

jdenm8

Quote from: Opkl on April 07, 2011, 02:44:44 PM
In marsh's picture, why are the cars going the wrong way? Did anyone else noticed that?

Technically, they're not going the wrong way. Marsh plays the game in LHT (UK) mode.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Haljackey

Ah HA! I noticed something!

Level your terrain a bit more so the entire width of the road is visible.

I'm so mean.  $%Grinno$% Great work Marsh!  :)

Kevin1a

@jacksunny
You're city looks great.  You're sunken highway looks nice too.  There was one thing that bothered me: you had some slopes in there that were almost certainly steeper than 45 degrees.  This slope mod (or any other slope mod you might prefer)
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=33 will make those sections look more realistic.  I think it's the same one I'm using, but I'm not sure.  All I remember is that the one I'm using came with several different files so I could choose how extreme I wanted the smoothing.  You're use of frontage roads is cool too.  I've always wanted to use those in a city, but I build a lot like my local traffic civic planners: right up to the road with no thought for the future.

@marsh  It looks really good.  Kind of reminds of I-70 in the United States as it goes through Glennwood Canyon West of Denver, Colorado.  The scenery is very different, but the way one side of the highway is higher than the other, and even ducks under the other side in narrow spots is similar.  Is there any chance of us getting a picture of the same spot looking in from the ocean?  Please. :D

marsh

Opkl: As jdenm said I play the game in [Left Hand Drive] mode. ;)

Haljackey: Lol.  ::) Actually that is not the game. I plopped a traffic generator there so that there is actually traffic on the roads. And the only way to make it not-ugly was to photoshop it out.  :P Just a mistake in photoshop is all.  :D

Kevin1a: Thats where some of the inspiration comes from. I've driven that road a few times.  :)

j-dub

I think the lines are obvious photo editing, it gets narrow then normal in that left lane, not to mention the yellow line getting blury then fading into the pavement, but looking at jacksunny's palms, then marsh's, the trees look a lot more detailed, I suspect some contrast/brightness/color altering?

marsh

You guessed it.  ::) My resolution is at 1920 pixels wide. So re-sizing them to 1024 makes it a lot nicer.

Kevin1a

Quote from: marsh on April 08, 2011, 02:19:46 PM
Kevin1a: Thats where some of the inspiration comes from. I've driven that road a few times.  :)

It takes a real road-geek to make an association like that from one picture in a pixely video game from 2003.  I think my obsession might be getting out of control.  ;D

[/URL]  I realize it's only a glimpse, but this is the most space constrained highway in my current city.  It was originally an avenue, but luckily I managed to buy up and raze the adjacent land before the super high density development moved in.  Nevertheless, any future congestion will probably have to go un-alieviated.

Opkl

Quote from: Kevin1a on April 10, 2011, 01:06:30 AM
It takes a real road-geek to make an association like that from one picture in a pixely video game from 2003.  I think my obsession might be getting out of control.  ;D

[/URL]  I realize it's only a glimpse, but this is the most space constrained highway in my current city.  It was originally an avenue, but luckily I managed to buy up and raze the adjacent land before the super high density development moved in.  Nevertheless, any future congestion will probably have to go un-alieviated.

I think you could fit a 6C/8C in there. It would be tight, but it would work.

jdenm8

Nah, with the space you've got there, you will be able to go right up to RHW-10S, you'd just have to rotate the soundwalls so they're on the other side (and probably get rid of the tree props on the LOTs).

Evillions8

Quote from: marsh on April 08, 2011, 11:03:54 PM
You guessed it.  ::) My resolution is at 1920 pixels wide. So resizing them to 1024 makes it a lot nicer.

Huge monitor???  :P

No wonder when I try to make mine like yours, it never shows up as the same quality.

Kevin1a

My monitor is 1920 too, but I run it at a lower resolution so the game doesn't lag on my aging system.  Bought the monitor super cheap off a friend of my brother.  Perhaps I should start upping the resolution when I take pictures.

You're right, I could probably fit a wider road in there, but it might cause some issues with the ramps that you can't see in that picture.  Also, I have a policy of using only entry and exit pieces that allow room for merging unless absolutely necessary.  In my RHW (might be out of date, I should check) these pieces really only exist for RHW4 turning it into an RHW6S when adding a lane and back into a RHW4 when losing a lane.  Otherwise I would be using the RHW6C already because I think the jersey barriers in the middle look more like an urban highway than the RHW6S does.

noahclem

Good news Kevin1a!  ;D Ramps with merging lanes do exist for RHW 8C/6C (8C after MIS joins, 6C on other side). There also the big RHW 8S/6C+MIS piece and the RHW 6C/4+MIS piece (if you don't mind left hand exits and entrances). Great looking highway again, BTW  &apls

Kevin1a

:thumbsup: Fantastic!  Are they included by default in the latest RHW or do I have to download some kind of expansion pack?  And more importantly, and I know it annoys many of you: do they come in Eurotextures?

jdenm8

They should be in the next RHW and they might have Euro textures, they might not. It greatly depends on whether we have the time.

Haljackey

RHW conversion in progress

Double the lanes!

The big boy

Exla357

Quote from: Kevin1a on April 07, 2011, 07:23:07 PM
@marsh  It looks really good.  Kind of reminds of I-70 in the United States as it goes through Glennwood Canyon West of Denver, Colorado.  The scenery is very different, but the way one side of the highway is higher than the other, and even ducks under the other side in narrow spots is similar.  Is there any chance of us getting a picture of the same spot looking in from the ocean?  Please. :D
Yeah, I drive there a lot, it is very similar, except for, you know, the ocean and whatnot ;D
Ryan (Haljackey): Nice RHW, as always. I await more road videos from that hillside metropolis of yours. What do you call it, anyway?

canyonjumper

lol Ryan, the 'Big Boy' looks great ;D
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.