• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Grif's (Bob56s) Lot Area

Started by bob56, November 21, 2009, 03:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob56

Hi all, I decided I am going to take up custom-content making...I haven't really tried this completely before ( I did it about a year ago, but the end lots weren't very good). I hope that now that I have a thread and some ideas, that I can improve my skill.

I started off with residential growables. They are 'grass lots' In other words, they are 1x2s without a true building.. Right now I have 1 made. I will work on this project as much as time allows. Your comments and critiques are much appreciated.

Here is the lot. Its a R$$ growable. It makes use of prop families, and there is no 'true' building. (I made a tiny box in BAT as the building. I think that is okay, let me know if I'm wrong). In the end it will probably have to have 1-3 residents, since I want this to be a growable. I've seen many empty grass lots used for parties as just canopies. Heres what I have:

These were plopped to show the prop diversity, but I have grown them.
This is all one lot, but with many different prop families utilized.

Please give me your comments! I hope to have more soon.

--Grif
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Travis

Looking good so far. :thumbsup: Fills quite a needed gap, IMO.

QuoteHere is the lot. Its a R$$ growable. It makes use of prop families, and there is no 'true' building. (I made a tiny box in BAT as the building. I think that is okay, let me know if I'm wrong). In the end it will probably have to have 1-3 residents, since I want this to be a growable. I've seen many empty grass lots used for parties as just canopies. Heres what I have:

I would recommend using the blank model listed under "other models" in PIM-X, instead of a small BATted box. With a filling degree of .7 or so using this, you'll get the desired 2-3 residents, along with more accurate stats. ;) I'm not the authority on this though, perhaps Barby or Tage could be of more help? :P

bob56

Thanks, Travis! I hadn't realized that there was a 'blank lot' in the PIM. I'm working on converting them now.

Here's another one. This is R-$$$. There are two versions. I don't know which one to use for sure. So anyone please tell me if you like the first, 2nd, both, or neither.

Here's the first one. It has flowers, and a bench,

The 2nd, with a smaller garden, park prop (chair, grill, ect(in families)). It also has some car parking. I'm not sure about if I want to keep the parking or not. Let me know.

Both are with 3 residents, and use the blank lot from the PIMX.

Please let me know what you think!

--Grif
You can call me Grif

thingfishs

Hey Grif,
what a great idea. I don't know if it's been done before but this is the first time I've heard of residentials growing without buildings. In the suburbs that I know not every block has a building on it. Some blocks are bare (with weeds) while the owner waits for the right time to sell. Some are adjacent properties to the owner and thus utilised in many ways, parking cars for eg. Some have rubble after the house has been demolished. Admittedly these blocks are in the minority (especially in the nicer areas) but having them represented I think would be a real bonus to the game.
Personally I much prefer your first lots (with the cars & shade thingy) I would like to see some more variation (along some of the lines I've suggested) and less "shade thingies"
As for the garden ones, sorry, I don't like any of them. To me having such formal gardens randomly appearing in suburbia doesn't make much sense, we are better served by manually placing parks.
I'm happy to give you a hand if I can.

bob56

thingfishs: Thanks for the comment. after watching the R$$$ ones grow in-game, I decided I didn't like them as growables. I will however, put them in a folder that may be for future park sets. I am still slowly working on the others, and a couple new growable lots as well (this month has been busy)

Also, for anyone that may have an answer, I had the idea of making a modular, ploppable 'bridge' set for my city, with curves and intersecting networks. I've lotted the pieces, and have been able to get them TEd in water. The only problem is, I can't seem to get the modular pieces to fit together. When placing a piece next to a pre-existing piece (in water), it turns red and says 'space occupied' I don't know if this has something to do with the orientation of the water tiles I used in LE (the arrows ), or if it is something else. Please comment if you know what to do!!

I will post pics of the bridge set and the growable empty lots when I have more time (next week I have off).

Thanks!!

--Grif

EDIT:here's a picture of the problem. Where I want to place the new piece is right next to the old piece. (btw this is a very crude version of the model, the final will be much nicer. this was just to try the concept.

--Grif
You can call me Grif

CasperVg

QuoteThe only problem is, I can't seem to get the modular pieces to fit together. When placing a piece next to a pre-existing piece (in water), it turns red and says 'space occupied' I don't know if this has something to do with the orientation of the water tiles I used in LE (the arrows )
It doesn't have anything to do with the orientation of the water tiles, but with the nature of TE-lots - due to a game limitation you cannot plop two TE lots next to eachother (a 1-tile gap is needed)

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube