• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb325

Thanks everyone, next in the queue is a little dumpy mid-rise building from Sydney's Elizabeth st. I did it because I liked the big old jumble of letters on the awning (that really is part of what's on the awning) as opposed to it being a high example of architectural style...

A corner growable:

And an overhanging diagonal ploppable for those diagonal frontages:

It can work on two diagonal corners, but I have only shown it against a diag-ortho corner:

art128

That's a fine looking building. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WannGLondon

Love those dumpy buildings!
Call me Warren.

mattb325

Thanks guys

Next up something special.

Originally built in the mid nineteenth century, then torn down by the communists in 1931 only to be rebuilt from scratch between 1995-2000, is Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.

NOTE: THIS MODEL WAS MADE BY GIRAFE.

All I did was add the statues/reliefs around the sides of the building, render and nitelight it.
Everything else (ie, 95% of what you see) is Girafe's work.

I will release it under his name after I've finished modding it, but for now, some teaser pics to get the general public excited for Girafe's jaw-droppingly beautiful model:

It's been a pleasure to finish this one off for one of my BSC team-mates so that the SC4D community can enjoy a true masterpiece.

DebussyMan

Ohhh, I remember this model now!
I remember Girafe sent it to me a very long time ago... but never got the time to finish it back then. The models are long gone now from my archives. Glad you've finished it, Matt, and a great job at it as well!  &apls  :thumbsup:

And I'm sorry, Girafe for never finishing it  ()sad()

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

Alan_Waters

As a resident of Moscow I say: this is amazing! Bravo, Matt!  &apls &apls &apls

Silur

Hi, Mattb325 and Girafe ...
I live in Moscow too.. Your model is more best than original  :thumbsup:  &apls  &apls  &apls

In real life, this is an ugly reinforced concrete monster.

art128

Girafe certainly did a good job at modeling that church. Those nightlights compliment it really well. Specially the stained glass is superb. Bravo.  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

That is stunning! Great to see a Girafe treasure being modded and released. Such an incredible talent with some fantastic unfinished content.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Girafe

Thanks to Matt for bringing this model alive. Love the stained glass at night  :thumbsup:
Thanks mate  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

fantozzi

Looks like this is the second youth of SC4.  &apls  :bnn:  &apls

thingfishs

Very well done, that golden roof texture is just gorgeous - nice work, giraffe and matt :thumbsup:

Badsim

Great cooperation ( how much unfinished treasures could be released like that ? ::) )  for that masterpiece, thank you both !

&apls &apls &apls

And thanks, Matt for all your other releases. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Silur on May 11, 2020, 03:45:16 AM

I live in Moscow too.. Your model is more best than original  :thumbsup:  &apls  &apls  &apls

In real life, this is an ugly reinforced concrete monster.

:D

That's an original point of view !  ;D  After all, the Eiffel Tower can be considered as an old  pile of ugly scrap metal too ...  $%Grinno$%

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

mattb325

Thank you all, as you may know, the Cathedral has been released, here: https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3966

A couple of other releases....certainly not as spectacular:

A coastal WWII gun turret

Here:
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3968

Chez Winterton

There is a whole can of worms with custom content created by the 64-bit Mac update and I have been slowly reviewing the TE'd lots that I have made (there are a lot of them, so it will take some time) and came across a station that Barby had made for me long ago. I normally refrain from tinkering with any of the lots that Barby made for me. I like them just as they are, but with CTDs, needs must, although I got nostalgically sidetracked and batted her actual house and garden in Brittany. ::)

It's available here: https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3969

And, just another one I am working on. This is an old Art Deco building from Sydney's King St. Another Sydney building with a flash gordon vibe...the city has dozens of examples, new and old.

It will be available soon.

Also, if any MAC users have issues with any of my stations or other TE'd lots before I get to them (last count I think I have about 60 to go through), please just let me know here or a PM as opposed to other sites: the response will be much quicker.

mattb325

Working on another Sydney icon, David Jones Department store on Elizabeth St:

Also has Christmas livery:

Will be available soon (I haven't done the nightlites yet  ::) )

fantozzi

I remember in the era before CD, when we still had to deal with those black vinyl frisbee things, there were "Smash Hits". And if I look on this David Jones Store, the vivid reflection on the dark windows, the many nuanced details and the appealing texture work - may I call it a "Smash Bat?" according to those pop songs we used to talk in those days before school started: "did you hear this new smash hit by Matt B Overdrive, You ain't seen nothing yet ..., smashing, isn't it?"

mattb325

Thanks Fantozzi. I remember 'smash hits' compilations....just like a bought version of its predecessor, the 'mixed tape'  :D

Like many folks, I recoiled at the vision beamed around the world last week of the use of tear gas to disperse protesters for a photo-op.

Now I don't bother making many churches, but I thought this otherwise quaint architectural victim of propaganda deserved its moment in the spotlight. I have not bothered with the second empire style building behind the church that was joined to the main church via a walkway at a later date. This, incidentally, is also the same part of the building that was used by Trump for holding the bible aloft in his propaganda shot, so I'm more than happy to dispense with it from the sc4 version.

It will be released soon.

BartonThinks

There's no shortage of churches out there, but I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit. I can't think of another BAT that captures this particular style, and as usual for your BATs, this one is excellently crafted.

Jack_wilds

Here is some additionals concerning the church, its histry, how it popularly nicknamed the "Church of the Presidents"....

St. John's Episcopal is a historic Episcopal church in Washington, D.C. The Greek Revival building, designed by Benjamin Latrobe, is adjacent to Lafayette Square, one block from the White House. Every president has attended the church since it was built in 1816. James Madison began the tradition attend spiritual services on Inauguration Day. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960. Church of the Presidents has a special designated spot called Presidents' pew. Abraham Lincoln was considered the most regular attendee, who habitually joined evening prayer throughout the Civil War from an inconspicuous rear pew.  it is President James Madison established the tradition of a "president's pew," selecting pew 28 for his private use in 1816. During a renovation in 1843, the pews were renumbered, and the president's pew became pew 58.
President Chester A. Arthur commissioned a memorial window for his wife, who died in 1880. displayed in the church's south transept it is visible from the White House.

See below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Episcopal_Church,_Lafayette_Square

Tarkus

Just to chime in with my Admin/Webmaster hat on . . . I think it may be worth issuing a reminder of Site Rule #12:

12.  Overt discussion of a political or religious nature is not permitted.  This applies not only to posts and topics, but usernames, signatures, and any other part of a member's profile.  Such topics have their place, but this is a site for a city simulator game. There are other places for political/religious discussion.

I do recognize that the current situation in the US is a topic on many people's minds, but this is ultimately a SimCity 4 fansite.  A brief aside along the lines of Matt's post is really the furthest extent anyone should go, and any clear advocacy for/against any political candidates is most likely going to run afoul of Rule #12.  We more or less got rid of our Off-Topic section in the first few months of this site's existence, to this end.  The SC4 community is a very diverse one, and a very inclusive one--and we wish to keep it that way.  If anyone has any questions about what may or may not be appropriate here on our forums, the staff (myself included) is more than willing to provide guidance to that end.

Now back to our regularly scheduled BAT thread.

-Alex