• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Minecraft

Started by emgmod, November 12, 2009, 07:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emgmod

http://minecraft.net/

Basically, Minecraft is a game where everything is based on adding and deleting blocks. Currently, the main aspect is a sandbox mode, but other gamemodes are coming out too. I would suggest reading some of the stuff on the forums first before joining most of the servers. You might get banned for stuff like swastikas.

My main project in Minecraft is an underground city. I'm too lazy to show pictures, but it's a map called tunnels in The Archives.

Shadow Assassin

I've played that game a few times - it's a lot of fun when you build massive structures, particularly where say, lava comes out and fills the world map?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

danielra96

I play Minecraft as well. I'm not one of those huge redstone creators but I enjoy playing it :)

art128

I play it as well, here's a screenshot of a mine and a friend's Server:

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CasperVg

Reviving an old thread... :rollseyes:

Some pictures from a village me and my brother built on my LAN server (this is with a custom texture pack):

Church and graveyard

Public swimming pool with diving facilities. Sign says "6m Jump - "So Hardcore!"

Overview of the city (strange quality loss in the picture for some reason, sorry for that!)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Silur

Very interesting with old thread ... May be dig it ...

buddybud

Heres some pics of some custom texture and block stuff i worked on for awhile....got bored though  :-\

Quite a fun game for creativity but i found it gets rather repetitive after awhile and from a modding point of view, well lets just say java and me don't get along. Though i did eventually create a single block id with 5 seperate blocks, 2 fully rotateable bookshelf blocks with each sides different. seen here....
http://imageshack.us/f/715/containerprob1.png/

Also those wood pillars that could be laid either horizontally depending on your direction or standing up, Ceiling tiles, plus a couple more. 90% of the textures are mine in those pics also...bunch more kicking around and unreleased as usual :P.

threestooges

You're nuts, in the best possible way. I've been kicking around getting Minecraft, and this is a fine check in the plus column for it (with a slight minus for it getting boring). Amazing architectural designs there. How long did it take to assemble all of that?

buddybud

Quote from: threestooges on February 20, 2012, 04:03:35 PM
You're nuts, in the best possible way. I've been kicking around getting Minecraft, and this is a fine check in the plus column for it (with a slight minus for it getting boring). Amazing architectural designs there. How long did it take to assemble all of that?

Thats about 3months of playing a couple hours a night, textureing and learning java....it was back in the 1.73 build except the last pic of bookshelves which i did for the 1.0 release...I love the game and with a good server it helps! Also the mods you pick make a big difference...zombe's pack and superslopes by kevatar aare a must plus Better Blocks if it ever gets updated!

AcoG000

Anyone running a server? Either way, cheeseguy93 is running a server, and you can check it out here.

If you're interested, just pm me and I'll probably get cheese to put you on the whitelist.
Visit cheeseSC4! A very good (slightly small) site!

CasperVg

I've just uploaded a Let's play video to youtube, of me playing Minecraft survival together with my brother with audio commentary. Feel free to take a peek and leave a like  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fu9ZHE6h88

(not sure how to embed ::) )
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

catty

Minecraft has been made a compulsory subject in a Swedish school   :thumbsup:

http://www.thelocal.se/45514/20130109/#.UQY_B2cgJOY

its teaching the children

QuoteThey learn about city planning, environmental issues, getting things done, and even how to plan for the future ...

...Around 180 students take part in the lessons, learning how to build virtual worlds, complete with electricity grids, water supply networks and indeed anything else that may come to mind.

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

mave94

Pity they don't use SimCity for that purpose.  ::)

Reginasunrae

I don't take as much time for forums as I used to but I was poking around here this morning looking for something interesting to read and happened across this Minecraft thread. It's almost embarrassing to admit that I'm a fifty-odd-year-old Minecraft player and I've been at it off and on for at least a couple of years now. My son is the one who got me started on it. At first I looked at it while he was playing and said, "Ugh! It's so ugly! How could I play something like that?" (I've been a serious graphics snob when it comes to video games.) I went ahead and downloaded it, though, when it was still $20 (I mean for crying out loud, how many times have I basically thrown away more money than that on games that didn't live up to my expectations--not like I have money to waste but there are just no guarantees when it comes to games.)

Please bear in mind I have health problems and not a lot of coordination at times and looking down into deep holes makes me woozy. I mainly play on peaceful mode with a LOT of mods including one that lets me fly so I don't end up walking off the edge of something because I forgot to "sneak" my way around it.

At any rate, a few weeks back my son set up a sever on his computer so we could play together and I declare, it's been such a blast! One thing I don't like about Minecraft, is that even with villages, I always feel so isolated. Just knowing someone else has been or is working on their various projects in the world makes all the difference with that. Previously I played a lot with the Millennaire mod which adds villages that are still uber times better than the vanilla villages because those villagers actually grow and expand their own villages and if you sell things to them it goes even faster.

I don't have any fancy screenshots to share because I'm not a great architect. I have several projects going on though, usually all at the same time, so I never get bored. We're using the FTB launcher which also helps get your mods into the game easier than having to install them by hand, along with a mod pack that's a compilation of more mods than I can remember or will likely ever use. My son is more into building the big industrial things and I'm more into mining and building structures then setting up my industrial stuff as I need it.

I declare, there are so many times my son has me almost rolling on the floor with laughter over some of the things he gets up to. One day we were adventuring together and he kept losing track of me so he decided to attach a tracker so he could always tell where I was. He told me to look down and see if it was there so I did and sure enough, it was under my feet where I couldn't see a single thing directly below me. I told him and a couple of minutes later he says, "Oh, okay, I know how to remove it now. I just need to set you on fire." Seriously? :D Sure enough, he set me on fire and the tracker came right off. It's a good thing fire doesn't inflict more damage than it does.

One day I was making something with Thaumcraft. Thaumcraft is supposed to be this whole "magic" thing. I say nonsense, it's just science. You do research and have a recipe book that holds all your researched items. Part of the process of making anything from it usually involves throwing ingredients into a "crucible" for "essentia". The crucible sits over a flame and has to be filled with water that comes to a boil. I have my lay-out set up so that I have a water source close to the crucible so all I have to do is turn to fill the crucible then turn around and grab another bucket of water (for some reason a large empty kettle over an open flame really bothers me so I always refill it right away). Anyway, I was working on my whatzit and got too close to the fire beneath the crucible which started doing damage. I backed away, of course, but had forgotten what essentia I'd added to the pot. I hovered over it to see and realized 1 unit of "corpus" that I never added was in the pot. I told my son, "Oh my goodness, look at this! You can melt your own body fat to make tallow!" (Tallow is one of the things made from "corpus".) So he has to log on and check it out for himself. The next thing I know I see the message that he's died. Yep, my brilliant son put so much of his "body fat" into the crucible he'd managed to kill himself! :thumbsup:

We use the Forestry mod (bee keeping and breeding, hybrid trees and lots of pretty colored wood planks from said trees plus bunches of machines and crafting), Mystcraft (create new "ages" based on various pages you collect, they're entirely separate worlds and thanks to linking books you can warp from one age to another easily), Twilight Forest (adds a new world where it's never dark but never completely light, either, very beautiful and at times eerie, plus has at least three bosses to fight, has enchanted forest with beautifully colored trees and a bunch of other stuff; you get here by building a special portal but once you get there you can also make MystCraft linking books to it), Industrial Craft (adds massive amounts of machines that do everything from speeding up ore processing to pumping lava from the nether to wherever your machine room is to supply almost endless energy to power said machines), and a bunch of others. It's going to take me a while before I run out of things to do in Minecraft.