• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cities in Motion

Started by danielra96, January 04, 2011, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Quote from: Meastro444 on January 22, 2013, 10:46:24 AM
Quote from: catty on January 22, 2013, 10:24:11 AM

The game will include buses, trams, trolleybuses, waterbuses and metro.

That it? No heavy rail/commuter rail?

Metro is their rail ... you can have commuter elevated trains, surface trains and underground trains in CIM1 so I'm assuming the same applies in CIM2, also in CIM1 the freight trains etc are controlled by the AI so you will see them using the rail networks but you can't control them unlike the commuter trains
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

j-dub

With the new SC, this will be a competitive rematch for this market! Although, what CIM has going for them, is their price, versus what Maxis is doing, and their stronghold is the focus on the traffic system, which is more of my focus. I don't think EA has even caught eye of CIM, they are more than well aware of rivals like Monte Cristo and Zynga So, we'll see.

catty

Quote from: j-dub on January 30, 2013, 08:37:24 PM
...and their stronghold is the focus on the traffic system, which is more of my focus....

How do you feel about Hot-Air Balloons as part of your cities transport system, they take 13 passengers and use the helicopter landing pads (they also come in different colors)

Going across the city

FEB130000 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

Heading towards the helicopter landing pad

FEB130001 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

The latest DLC "Design Quirks" also means I can have

QuoteAmphibus - The extraordinary Amphibus is a great invention. Looks like a bus, but glides on water elegantly! It carries a decent amount of passengers and moves speedily on water. It offers superb traveling with cushioned seats

Caterpillar - The Caterpillar is an unique vehicle. It's a powerful metro train, and looks like a funky caterpillar! It has plenty of room and while the engine isn't top notch, it doesn't consume much fuel, making it a very efficient vehicle

Lucitania - This fancy tram was designed to be used in parades, but since it was very popular, more were produced. Cleverly disguised as a boat, this tram actually has lots of seats and a decent engine hidden inside

Sight-seeing Bus- The sight-seeing bus is built to look like a small train. While bringing joy to people by adding a cheerful touch to the cityscape, and also has a very low energy consumption. It's well-rounded vehicle, and very nice looking

:D

noahclem

Nice pictures Cathy  &apls  Quite the quirky transport options available there!

catty

Quote from: noahclem on February 07, 2013, 02:24:46 AM
Nice pictures Cathy  &apls ...

:)

They have now put out a new dev diary on how the multiplayer mode is going to work

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?665863-Cities-in-Motion-2-%E2%80%93-Multiplayer-Mode-%E2%80%93-Developer-diary-6&s=f6acd1bcdc1dbf846562478e8134e88c

QuoteOne of the biggest differences between the first and second Cities in Motion is the multiplayer mode. The first CiM had no MP and many players requested it, so we put effort into making it a reality in the sequel. Generally, multiplayer modes are not very common in simulation games, as they tend to be single player games with the goal of "beating the game". We felt that simulation can benefit from multiplayer, though, and wanted to make sure there would still be that "game beating" aspect included even in the multiplayer mode. As such, we created two types of MP modes: co-op and competitive.

In co-op, you can play with up to three friends and all work at the same company on the same, big map. Building a huge network is much easier and more fun with friends. Large maps with many city centers offer enough room for many players to work simultaneously.

Along with the co-operative mode, we designed a competitive mode for players to pit their skills against one another. In competitive mode, you can choose the objectives using built-in sliders. Options to choose from include a time limit, if you feel like you want to play a fast paced game, and/or a company value target. If you have both objectives, the game will end when either is reached. You can also play with only one objective or no objectives at all, if sandbox play with friends is your thing. Team play is available for both modes, and co-operative and competitive are for up to six players.

The main goal in competitive mode is always to try and do better than your opponents' company. In team play, you work with your team through a team chat (or on a voice chat) to choose what everyone will do. The maps have many city centers, so you could assign one to each player, or have one disrupt the opponents while other build elsewhere. Also, division by vehicle type would be interesting.

We hope to see many of you having fun with the multiplayer mode once the game is out! It's a great improvement, don't you agree?

I have to say this appeals to me a lot more than the way its going to be done for SimCity 2013

-catty

catty

A interview with the CIM2 Lead Designer

http://www.gameswelt.tv/cities-in-motion-2-the-modern-days/video-interview-mit-karoliina-korppoo-auf-der-pdxcon-2013,32589?mode=2

You get a good idea on how CIM2 is going to look when released.

-catty

catty

Another interview this time with the CEO Mariina Hallikainen of Colossal Order (makers of CIM1 and CIM2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3aIFAQm_g

()stsfd()

catty

Some more details on how they expect the Map Editor to work in CIM2

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?669215-Cities-in-Motion-2-%96-The-Map-Editor-%96-Developer-diary-7

QuoteLandscaping is more flexible than ever with the terrain tools, you can use them to modify the landscape by raising and lowering, smoothing and flattening it. There are several new brushes that allow you to create features that look natural and blend in well with the rest of the landscape–modifying the terrain first with a round brush and then adding detail with an uneven brush. Creating interesting looking mountains and shorelines has never been so easy and fun!

The terrain tools also include a versatile random generator for the landscape. There is a set of filters that can be adjusted to create a completely unique map base in no time. Want a map with multiple islands? Just tweak the options and you are set! Maybe more terrain and less water with smoother hills? Done! These filters allow for quick map generating and work as a wonderful base to build whatever one wishes. And afterwards, you can tweak and modify the terrain manually as much as necessary.

But what are maps without the cities? Empty maps, that's what! So, now that we have dynamic cities in CiM 2 we also have some new features that come into play when creating them. The new road tool is the biggest change in the map editor. The grid-less map layout is most visible when creating roads since there are no barriers in creating different shapes. The roads are as organic as the rest of the terrain and they are also automatically propped for your convenience. You don't need to change between different road tools, such as underpasses, bridges and whatnot, when creating your network of roads as the road tool automatically blends it all together so that you can concentrate in building the actual network instead of trying to figure out how to connect that bridge to this road. Also, now that the map editor handles most of the menial tasks for you, you can get deeper into designing the flow of the road network using the various types of roads.

It is possible to place each and every building manually if that is what you wish but considering the size of the maps (we are talking roughly 4 times bigger than the largest maps in CiM 1!) it can become quite the heroic deed. However, in addition to the manual city building, there is also the possibility to generate the buildings. This is especially handy when testing what you have built so far, so you can see how the city develops and changes, how the road network manipulates the city, and so on. Quite possibly the best way is to combine both manual building placing with the generator tool, that way you can control the key areas of the city and let the generator do the rest. Of course, you can go back to detail work afterwards.

for those of you that have CityScape the way the roads and buildings are being done will look very familiar.

-catty

IMADreamer

I've been a bit out of the loop on everything, but with the new Sim City a complete debacle at this point and my computer getting increasingly crashy when playing SC4 I'm in need of something new.  This looks great, especially with the transit orientated focus.  I'm excited.  I'm glad I checked in this forum today. lol

j-dub

You used to see a lot more traffic like that in this part of the US. Blimps and Hot Air Balloons used to be the thing in the last decade. Oh well.

At least Cities in Motion, the second, that shouldn't require you to be online like playstation home network's tycoon city simulator was first, and than that other not surprising fallout simcity 13 was.

CasperVg

For those who haven't seen CiM2 yet, here's the release trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwbajm7nG8

I pre-ordered and have already spent about 3 hours playing since it was released, it's amazing. The transportation system is very versatile, as you will see in the trailer as well.

EDIT: Proof (an interchange I just built in the Map Editor)

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

catty

Haven't bought it yet, as I'm not sure my new computer can run it ... but I do want it based on this video   :'(

"Cities in Motion 2 Map Editor Tutorial - 4 Populating the city"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disy0Zle_ZQ

about 3 minutes in you can see how you manually plop buildings, etc

CasperVg

Guess I need to build more highways..

Bipin

That's beautiful! What's the deal with modability with this game? Also, are there any American textures?

CasperVg

The developers have said free modding tools will be a released in a few weeks. There aren't any American textures right now, but I'm sure someone will mod them in eventually.

xannepan

I just bought cities in motion and played it for a few hours. I must say this game amazes me! Sure it is no sim city game, but this is so much more closer to what I would personally expect for a worthy next simcity game compared to the horror EA has released. I would have gladly paid twice the price.

Rayden

Quote from: xannepan on April 03, 2013, 11:06:19 PM
I just bought cities in motion and played it for a few hours. I must say this game amazes me! Sure it is no sim city game, but this is so much more closer to what I would personally expect for a worthy next simcity game compared to the horror EA has released. I would have gladly paid twice the price.
You're totally right, I spent 60 euros on SimCity 2013 and I should I have save it for this one, as I'm not playing anymore that SC2013. I big disappointment. Maybe I'll by this one one of these days.

catty

Another youtube video by Caveman films its 16 minutes long but does give you a good idea how the new Cities in Motion works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDTtBoDvqfQ&feature=youtu.be

I'd really like to get this but I only buy games on CD or DVD and according to my local online shop its "unavailable"   :(

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Games/Cities-Motion-2-PC-CD/7350042842148

-catty

catty

Quote from: catty on April 22, 2013, 11:50:12 AM
...I'd really like to get this but I only buy games on CD or DVD and according to my local online shop its "unavailable"...

Its taken a while, I'd just about given up hope that you could buy this on a DVD, but finally

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Games/Cities-Motion-2-PC-CD/7350042842148

its being imported in from the UK

()stsfd()