• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sciurus

It's just beautiful, and you do your transport map on paper, and then, you do this on SC4?
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

This is a fantastic picture there Dustin ! &apls
great work with these row house my friend. :thumbsup: I like the EL-line in the middle  ;)

Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

warconstruct

Splendid picture ! I like the EL-line in the middle  !
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

dsrwhat316

I see that you are putting marcszar's residential buildings to good use  :thumbsup:

The el-rail over road pieces are rarely used, so it is quite refreshing to see them here in Marathon. I hope you show more of this area; it looks great!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Jmouse

Dustin, you're using elements that are outside my visual experience - like the el-rail - so Marathon is turning into a marathon educational experience! As for the low-income housing, it exists in every city, town and settlement known to man, but you do a good job of presenting it.

Congratulations to A.J. for acing the quiz! :thumbsup: There are a million ways to name quads, and yours is very interesting.

Later...

Joan

Tarkus

Dustin, another great pic there--looks like a very realistic inner-city East Coast neighborhood.  You've got an amazing eye for this stuff, and it's always a treat to see what's going on in Marathon.

-Alex (Tarkus)

thundercrack83

Matt (threestooges): Hi, Matt! Thanks a lot, my friend! There's no secret, either, I'm just plopping and bulldozing until I get something that looks OK to me. Thanks for coming by!

Haljackey: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

metasmurf: Thanks! There's parts of just about every major city here in the northeastern United States. In fact the BATs, by marcszar are based on Baltimore, Maryland, and Troy, New York, I believe, so that explains it! Thanks for stopping in!

Robin (rooker1): Hey, Robin! We'll certainly be looking into this area in more detail, as well as the elevated rail line in the midst. It's always great to see you here, my friend!

metarvo: Thank you so much, my friend!

bat: Thanks, bat!

Sciurus: Thank you! As for the transport map, it's a little bit of both. I'll get some rough ideas on paper beforehand, but I've learned you never know what's going to work until you get into the game. Take care!

Arthur (art128): Thank you, Arthur!

warconstruct: Merci beaucoup!

Dan (dsrwhat316): Thanks, Dan! I've seen the pieces used other places and have always wanted to put them to use. I'm glad I found a good spot for them!

Joan (Jmouse): Hi, Joan! I'm glad you able to provide some insight as to some of the area up here in the gritty northeast, and I glad you're enjoying it! Thanks, as always, for your continued support, my friend!

Alex (Tarkus): Thank you, Alex! The area was actually inspired by the neighborhood in Philadelphia were Rocky Balboa lived in Rocky. Now if I could find the pet shop where Adrian worked! Thanks for coming by, my friend!

I'm still plugging away at different areas of Marathon, but I still had some time to work on this!

Many thanks to Robin (rooker1), whose keen eye helped with some color and style issues!

Not sure where we'll head next. You'll know as soon as I do!

In a bit!

Alfred.Jones

That looks excellent Dustin!! Looks like a real newspaper &apls

Sim City 4 Devotion

art128

What a nice newspaper there Dustin !  &apls$
Great work on it !!  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Dustin,
Great work on the newspaper article.
"CCM Centre"....good work on the PSing.  You are becoming a Pro!

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Sciurus

Great, and I really like your daily, wich is really good realized!
Congratulations Robin and Thundercrack &apls
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

deathtopumpkins

Nice newspaper, Dustin! One of the best I've ever seen done!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

bat

Wonderful work there on that newspaper! Nice articles with nice photos! :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

Nice newspaper! Looks realistic to me.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

thundercrack83

Alfred.Jones: Thank you so much, my friend!

Arthur (art128): Thanks, Arthur!

Robin (rooker1): Hey, Robin! Thanks for your help with the newspaper, too! It's much more newspaper-like that magazine now, thanks to you, my friend! Take care!

Sciurus: Thanks so much!

deathtpumpkins: Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

bat: Thanks, bat! Very much appreciated, my friend!

Maarten (mrtnrln): Thank you so much, Maarten!

UPDATE XX
A Complex From a Complex
Part I: Envisioning and Delving

6 February 2009

Well, it's probably no secret, but in addition to being a big fan of cities, I'm also a fairly large sports fan. And what is the perfect melding of two of my primary interests...?

Sports complexes!

My favorite thing to do when I go to a new city is to check out the sports venues—baseball stadiums, football stadiums, basketball and hockey arenas, any and all of them. After thinking about all the different venues I've been to and thinking about how and where cities situate these facilities, since their not small by any means, I thought I would take a look at how this would be applied in Marathon.

But first, I'd a bit of examination and investigation. I like the idea of a sports complex—an area where all the sports venues are located together. For example...

...this is the sports complex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As you can see, both the baseball and football stadiums, as well as the basketball/hockey arena (Wachovia Center) and the former arena (the Spectrum) are all together in one big complex in South Philadelphia.

However, one issue that I've always had with this area is the fact that it is not all that convenient to get to from Central Philadelphia...

...as we've illustrated.

Another prime example is my favorite sports complex in the world—

The Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey! While being in the Garden State, the Meadowlands is home to both New York City NFL teams, the Giants and the Jets. However...

...at a distance of six miles, it is even further from Manhattan than the Philadelphia Sports Complex is from Central Philadelphia. And this is before you factor in time for traffic.

So, I would like to meld the idea of a sports complex with the idea of keeping the venues within the city and more accessible to alternative forms of transportation. A good example is...

...Baltimore, Maryland, where both the baseball and the football stadiums are in close proximity not only to each other...

...but also to Downtown Baltimore.

Another non-sports venue related idea I thought of to incorporate are the wharves of Boston, Massachusetts (an idea that will be implemented much more in Marathon, I can imagine)—

The concept of a sports complex jutting into the water on a wharf popped into my head, and so I thought, why not run with it?

First step, pick a spot...

I've chosen Tile O, more specifically at the eastern end of Châteauguay Avenue.

Now, we begin construction of our wharf, or as they will be known in Marathon, our quay...

Using a road...

...we mark off where the avenue ran (since the the avenue is two-tiles and the road only one, I just chose on of them arbitrarily), and then...

...start terraforming!

One tile at a time, we trace the edge to meet up with the rest of the island circumference...

...and we have our finished quay!

But that's probably not big enough for a complex! So...

...we tack on another section...

...and do some terraforming clean-up.

The terraformed quay is where we'll stop for now, but next time we'll look at adding more to the area.

Thanks for coming by!

threestooges

Nice start on the complex Dustin. I'm curious why the different levels for the different areas, but I'm sure it'll become clear soon enough. Perhaps one for parking and one for the arenas, or different fields on different levels? Will there be a mass transit station available as well? it'd be a good way to get people to the games as well as relieve congestion on the surrounding streets, especially after the games. Any idea yet which teams will represent Marathon yet?
-Matt

sebes

He Dustin - interesting concept! I like the idea of having the sports venues on a wharf/quay in the downtown area.  I think however that it would be a waste of precious reclaimed land to fill it with parkings... a giant parking garage seems more realistic in that case! And indeed a large mass-transit connection. Wow- what a concept!  :thumbsup:

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

JoeST

Im feeling pretty ashamed of myself.... *hangs head*

this place is pretty gawd dang awesome, where were you hiding? :D

cant wait for more

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

rooker1

Hey Dustin,

Great start on Sports Complex.  Love the RL pics as well, but lets see how you put them to use compared to what you are building in game.  I'm looking forward to the end results of this area and I'll have some more stuff ready for you tonight.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

metarvo

Having a sports complex is a great idea, Dustin.  One can only wonder what kind of teams Marathon will have, though.  Will they be good teams, or will they leave something to be desired?  $%Grinno$%  I'm looking forward to seeing that quay when you're finished with it.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.