• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan_vzla

Hi Dustin, this new picture looks great, you have a very interesting mix of buildings and structures, the trains also look good!
The photoshop effect is good, but I think the rain ended up a little bit thick... anyway it looks good. Here's a link to a good tutorial, you may find new techniques there

Later, Alan

Oh, BTW 100th post (what a better thread than this to make it)

thundercrack83

Matt (threestooges): Thanks, Matt! The trip was great, the brainstorming is still in full force. I'm glad you enjoyed the picture, too, though you're very right—things are quite obscured!

Joan (Jmouse): I'm with you, Joan. It's much more fog and much less rain. But that's OK, fog is a weather phenomenon, too! I'm glad to hear that you're playing with Photoshop, too. For me, actually going in a playing around is a great way to see what everything does. It's also a great way to dig yourself into a huge hole, too! Good luck, my friend!

deathtopumpkins: Yep, it's definitely fog! That's OK, though—it's a learning experience, right?

David (Simpson): Hello! No problem on missing things, there's so much to see at SC4D, and not enough hours in the day! I'm glad you're all caught up and enjoyed the tutorial, too. Hope to see you around again, my friend!

Adam (Ennedi): Wow! Thanks for such a wonderful comment, Adam! Coming from a Hall of Fame MD author, it's very humbling, and coming from a good friend such as yourself, it means a lot to me! And thanks so much for the tip on searching for free brushes! I don't know why I never thought of doing that! Just a simple oversight, perhaps...or early onset memory loss...Thanks for coming by, Adam!

Robin (rooker1): Thanks so much, Robin! Fog seems to be the consensus, and I am definitely in agreement with it! You live, you learn! Thanks for your very kind words, too, my friend—as I said to Adam, it means so much coming from a great friend, especially one who has a high regard for honesty, such as yourself! Take care, my friend!

Arthur (art128): Fog's the word of the day around here, I think! But, hey, it's fine by me! And thanks for bringing us to page 30, my friend!

Alan (alan_vzla): Hi, Alan! Thank you so much for the tutorial link, my friend! I've put it to great use! And congratulations on making your 100th post, too! I'm glad you chose Marathon for such an auspicious occasion! Hope to see you around again soon!

Well, thanks to all the great input, we've reached an overwhelming consensus that the "rain effect" I went for in the last picture came out more fog and less rain. But, as I said, trial and error can lead more often to "error," but that's how we learn, eh?

So, thanks to the tips given by Adam (Ennedi), and the wonderful link to a tutorial by Alan (alan_vzla), I think I may be headed in a better direction!

Here's our original foggy picture...

Now, using the same picture for continuity, I've played with the tutorial in the hopes that I can achieve more of a rain feel...emphasis on hope...

And, digging deeper, I thought I'd try my hand at...

...some snow, too!

Who would have thought that weather would play such a big role in things? I'm still tweaking the rain end of things, as I think we're halfway between "rain" and "fog" with this latest one.

Many thanks to Adam and Alan, and to all of you for your input and advice!

Maybe we'll explore these things in more detail, perhaps? We'll see!

Ennedi

Wow, what a quick response!  ;D :thumbsup:

Alan's advice is really very useful. Every tutorial showing how to make something from scratch, using only basic Photoshop tools, is a great way to learn photo editing, it also help to understand many custom Photoshop plugins (they are also made step by step by talented artists). I must say I like your second picture more (the snow is very nice too  :)).

As for custom brushes: people who never used them often think that a brush should have relatively small size (for example 20 or 50 pixels) and their main function is to paint by them like by material brush on canvas (paper etc.). But, for example, rain or cloud brushes have often much larger size (1000, 1500 or 2500 pixels), they cover the whole picture or a big part of it and you can use the effect by only a single click (or a few clicks, but not too much!). Of course you should play with the brush color, layers, opacity and blending modes too.

In my opinion there is nothing bad in using Photoshop effects. Sometimes they can amazingly emphasize the natural beauty of SC4 landscapes and various game objects including all beautiful buildings created by our talented friends.

But sometimes of course the "raw" SC4 image is the best one  ;)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

deathtopumpkins

I think you got it on this one...  :thumbsup:

That definitely looks like rain. I think the snowy one looks really cool too. I might see if I can apply some of this with GIMP.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Jmouse

You nailed it this time, Dustin, and the snow is specially nice. Wish I was lucky enough to get something right in only one or two tries! ?=mad)=

Later...

Joan

Pat

Quote from: thundercrack83 on January 09, 2009, 10:28:50 PM

I hope this has inspired you to try your hand at some cartography of your own. With the right tools, a bit of knowledge and a whole lot of patience, you, too can make some Good Eats...sorry, I seem to have channeled a little Alton Brown there for a second.

One final note—since this has been pretty much Photoshop-exclusive, I apologize if this does not translate to other programs. Hopefully, though, you can get some use out of it!

Take care!

Hey Dustin I just gotten caught up after being out of service here for a wee bit.... What I wanted to say is even before I saw you was channeling Alton Brown I knew it lol....  I watch way too much good eats lol... 

Now far as being to photoshop heavy tut, I don't honestly mind cause I learned something new... Plus another great thing that came out of the tut is a wonderful map!!! Great job on it!!!!  Now for the other updates with practicing with different elements now those are real sweet!!!!

Your doing a great job here and I cant wait to see what happens next!!!

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Adam (Ennedi): Hi, Adam! Your advice on the custom brushes is brilliant! I never though to make one that is 2000-2500 pixels and then just click once, I'm definitely going to have to give that one a try very soon! I'm agree on Photoshop, too—I like to use it a supplementary for the most part, just enhancing and clearing up the in-game shots. But, sometimes I just can't resist take the program out for a spin and seeing what it can do, too! Thanks for you wonderful tips, Adam!

deathtopumpkins: Thanks, my friend! I think we're getting there!

Joan (Jmouse): Thanks, Joan! I'm particularly happy with the snow one, too. And what's the old saying, "It's better to be lucky than good?" I think that adage applies to my Photoshop exploits. Thanks for coming by, my friend!

Pat: Hey, another Alton Brown fan! Like I said, I usually catch at least one episode in the wee-hours of the morning. I'm glad you're all caught up and that you enjoyed the tutorial, my friend! Hope to see you again soon!

Two words—New NAM...

...well, technically one word and one acronym, but the sentiment is the same! Just got it downloaded and played around a bit. Upon first application, we'll go to...

...the eastern end of the Westmoreland Avenue Tunnel, which was constructed in the aptly named UPDATE XI: Constructing the Westmoreland Avenue Tunnel!

With the New NAM, we can now do...

...this!

It's a new day, friends! And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

If you haven't already gotten your copy of the January 2009 Release of the NAM, I suggest you drop everything you're doing and download it posthaste!

Many thanks and congratulations to the entire NAM Team for another magnificent release. Without you guys, we'd still be in the SC4 Stone Age!

bat

Nice new pictures there! And the ones with the rain are looking beautiful! Nice work, Dustin! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

OK that does it - I'm going to have to DL the new NAM and start a region. Seriously. Fantastic photos, Dustin.

Dare I hope these awesome elements like the ones you've shown us are "friendly" to transport-design challenged players? Looks like it's a whole brave new world out there today!

Later...
Joan

dedgren

Heh!  Three words: Commonwealth of Marathon.  The new NAM pics just add depth to something that's already first class, Dustin.  I can't wait to see what you do with all that new NAM content.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

Heheheeh Dustin I sure am and I love his antics on ICA for sure as well!!! But anyways I love what you are doing with Jan 09 NAM!!!! I cant wait to see what you cook up next  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

bat: Thank you so much, bat!

Joan (Jmouse): You have to do it, Joan! The new NAM and the RHW 3.0 are just what you need to get started! I hope to see what you come up with, my friend! And thanks for your kind words and support, as always!

David (dedgren): You're too kind, my friend! I'm still sifting through all the great new stuff, but it's hard not to get those ideas and creative juices flowing! Thanks for coming by, David!

Pat: I'm a fan of Iron Chef America (though I like the original Japanese edition better), too, as well as AB's Feasting on... series. Actually, with the exception of that Guy Fieri, I can watch just about anything on the Food Network for some reason. Very strange, indeed, considering I don't do much cooking! But anyway...thanks for your continued support, my friend! It's always great to see you here!

Still brainstorming, and in the meantime, rummaging!

Another tidbit I found floating in a folder. Truth be told, I don't know where this one came from!

Still thinking and figuring, figuring and thinking...

In a bit!

threestooges

I don't recognize the central buildings there, but I love the news building at the top. Deadwoods right? I think I have that one from years back. Incidentally, your comment to Pat reminded me, nice plug for Good Eats. That is an excellent show. Food Network has some pretty good shows to its name. I don't mind Guy too much, but Rahcel Ray can drive me up the wall. But I digress, back to the teaser here. The fourth building from the left strikes me as either a JMyers or spa; I know I've seen it somewhere before. Not sure on the others though. Waiting to see where the figuring and thinking leads.
-Matt

bat

Nice picture there! It is looking great!! :thumbsup:

dsrwhat316

Looks like you put spa's buildings to good use, Dustin. After seeing that trumpet interchange in your last teaser, I'm really anxious to experiment further with the new NAM and RHW 3.0. In fact, I'll do just that....   ()lurker()

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Jmouse

You've created quite a contrast in this pic, Dustin - down-and-out slums across from a cute little shopping strip. That's a beautiful BAT on the corner, but seems a bit out of place against the other buildings. I love those five little W2W shops, though. Do you recall if the buildings grew like that or were they plopped?

Later...
Joan

art128

Nice picture there Dustin, excellent W2W my friend !
Great Mix of industrial and commercial.  :thumbsup:

Arthur.  ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Hello Dustin,
Great work on the photoshoping, it looks like you are mastering the program in no time at all.
I have had a chnace to play with the new version of NAM yesterday and I think it's fantastic, especially that new triumpet split.  The way you have used it looks perfect.  Now I am trying to find places where I can fit in all the new stuff.
Always great to stop in here my friend, always great pics and great reading.  &apls
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

metarvo

So, you've been playing around with the new NAM, Dustin?  I downloaded it as soon as I heard about it, because I simply couldn't wait.  :D  I did manage to tear myself away from the game itself for a little while to check on Marathon, though.  For something that was collecting dust on your HDD, that pic looks pretty good.  Keep up the good work, Dustin!
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

alan_vzla

Again, very interesting mix of buildings... good pic!

Happy 600 comments and welcome to page 30