• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Frex_Ceafus|B.A.T. Thread

Started by Frex_Ceafus, August 18, 2011, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveN

Pretty cool. I see that there are more and more buildings W2W American style. Just this kind of buildings I like. They have something in itself, which lacks a similar type of building Europe. Great. I hope that will soon be available.

Frex_Ceafus

Frex_Ceafus

jmyers2043

Hey Frex

I like this work in progress shot. I don't know how what your paint shop or gmax skills are, nor am I familiar with any previous work of yours. So I'll make a couple of observations at the risk of saying something you already know or had planned to do.

Two things immediatly caught my eye.

The parapet needs more detail. The coping can be made of different things. Precast stone or concrete. Sometimes the coping is obmitted in favor of metal flashing. It would be difficult to find a good metal texture so I recommend a coping similar to the picture below. Roofing material usually extends some distance above the roof deck. Don't worry about the build up of material at the joint but it would be nice if the roof texture is extended upwards. If you wish to mimic that 45 degree slope you could use a line, set the mesh to have 4 sides, and trace along the roof geometry.

The roof material is good but I think it needs darkening. You can either simultaneously decrease the brightness and contrast in your paint program, or apply a solid black layer. Adjusting the opacity adjusting until you're happy. Alternately, a light roof is usually a stone material ... so you can always find a good pebble stone texture and apply it as a layer and maybe using dodge, burn, or other blending technique.

New batters tend to be lacking in paint shop skills at the start, but get better as time goes by. You should add some roof drains, vent pipes, and off air antennas that will cast shadows and add interest to the roof surface. These buildings do not lend themselves to roof top HVAC as they are somewhat narrow. .. perhaps window units placed at random.

I'm not familar with your previous work ... so please forgive me if I am suggesting something that you normally do.

I like the wrought iron fencing and you have nice detailing around the windows. The head and sill play against the light to cast subtle shadows. The doors have good textures as I can see brass name plates, knobs, etc. . .

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Frex_Ceafus

Wow, thanks, this is some great info to have, you helped alot  ;D

Aaron Graham

I am also with jmyers2043 on that. Keep it up your doing a great job. :)

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Frex_Ceafus

Thanks everyone ;D

Here is an update, I forgot to add that stuff on the roof, as soon as I figure out where and what to put for it, I will have it on, hopefully in the next update ;D

Till then, happy batting  $%Grinno$%

Lowkee33

Hi Frex,

I'm a novice at batting, but I think your textures could use some work.  The roofs have the same texture, but mirrored.  The white building's textures repeat very often.  Pro batters know better ways to fix things such as tiling, I can only think that you could make your own (by the looks, it should be 64x256).

WannGLondon

Quote from: Frex_Ceafus on January 25, 2012, 05:21:45 AM
Thanks everyone ;D

Here is an update, I forgot to add that stuff on the roof, as soon as I figure out where and what to put for it, I will have it on, hopefully in the next update ;D

Till then, happy batting  $%Grinno$%
Great row homes  ;D. Maybe you could work on some of these next please?
Call me Warren.

Frex_Ceafus

A small update, I lost all of my textures, so francis90b helped me get back going, here is the start of the revival:

and my others:

peter007

Hey. I never spotted your BATthread here. It's nice to see some prgress.
I'm glad you're back BATting things and stuff  ;D

-Ernst

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)