• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nexis Works

Started by mrbisonm, May 12, 2009, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

Quote from: mrbisonm on May 14, 2009, 07:54:54 PM
Swamper77 , I know what you mean, but there's a big problem, I have no idea how propfamilies work, not even a bit idea of it. I guess I have to find a tut and then get to learn it first, but time is not my side this spring.

Prop families are collections of props. You simply place them like any other prop. The game then randomly chooses one of the props in the family to display. So a prop family could have 5 different cars, each a different color. When the lot is plopped or grown, one of the 5 will be displayed at the prop family's location.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

mrbisonm

Quote from: Swamper77 on May 14, 2009, 08:34:24 PM
Prop families are collections of props. You simply place them like any other prop. The game then randomly chooses one of the props in the family to display. So a prop family could have 5 different cars, each a different color. When the lot is plopped or grown, one of the 5 will be displayed at the prop family's location.

-Jan

Thanks, but this , more or less, I knew. Is there a tutorial on how to make propfamilies? Can this be done with the LE?

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Swamper77

I don't have a link offhand to the tutorial. However, the prop family numbers I provided you with earlier are existing ones that Maxis made and shipped with the game.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

BarbyW

Prop families cannot be made in LE but must be done in Reader. You also need to request a range of IIDs if you want to make prop families of your own. The tutorial takes you stage by stage through making a prop family.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jacqulina

mrbisonm

Thanks Jan and Barby for the help, much appreciated. I will have a serious look at the tutorial and hopefully understand it to be able to create my own lots with propfamilies one day. I will ask for request of iid's later, Barby.

Nice to see you here Jackie.

Fred

BarbyW

Of course, Fred, the mythical X_Tool is closer to release and that will make all lot production very. very easy indeed, including making building and prop families.
When I offered to make a lot for you with the residential lot I was not offering to prop it. Just to make you a bare lot with the building on for you to finish with textures and props as you want.

mrbisonm

Quote from: BarbyW on May 15, 2009, 09:24:18 AM
Of course, Fred, the mythical X_Tool is closer to release and that will make all lot production very. very easy indeed, including making building and prop families.
When I offered to make a lot for you with the residential lot I was not offering to prop it. Just to make you a bare lot with the building on for you to finish with textures and props as you want.

X-Tool? .......something new? Woohoo, if it's easy, I'll buy.....lol.
I know you offer to make a simple tweaked lot only and that I'll do the propping (or whatever it is called)  and that's why I will have to learn how to create propfamilies. Thanks Barby. ;) You're very helpful and appreciated.

Fred

BarbyW

You don't have to learn how to make prop families to use the car clusters that Jan mentioned. They are all Maxis prop families and can be found under Add Family in the Props tab of Lot Editor. You might find the BSC Mod Prop Family Names useful. Al made this a long time ago and Swamper77 updated it. It gives names for most of the Maxis Prop Families which makes it much easier to navigate the list.

mrbisonm

Thanks Barby,........is there a tutorial on how to use the Maxis propfamilies? Is this done with the Reader also?

Fred

BarbyW

Fred, you just select the Maxis or any other prop families in Lot Editor.
In Lot Editor  select the Props tab (1) then select Add family(2)

When you select Add family you will see a list on the left of all the prop families that you have available.(1) If you have Al's mod from the link in my previous post then most of them will have names as well as their family ID. On the right of the screen in Lot Editor(2) is a list of all the props in that family.

Any of the props in the family may show on the lot so there is a lot of variety from using just one family.

wouanagaine

Of course this would be easier and quicker in 2 or 3 weeks  ::)
IMHO families are never used enough. I can't emphasis enough how much variety it give without overloading your game with thousand of different lots.
If a lot use family for building and all props, you can have an impressive amount of variety with only one lot file to load.

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

mrbisonm

Wow, sounds good wouanagaine.
Thanks BarbyW, I will try this later tonight, rioght now I am having trouble with the nitelites showing of my residentials. I guess I have to re-read the light tutorial again to see what's wrong. Once finished, I'll send you the modelfile.

Hope I will be able to learn how to use propfamilies, that will be great. :)

Fred

CabraBuitre

Quote from: mrbisonm on May 14, 2009, 07:54:54 PM
SimGoober, Thanks for the comment. Do you have a linkie to your air purification lot? I probably will release a modular set after I made a single water treatment lot. Good idea.
Here's  link to SG's air purification lot:

LINK

Check out Abelfarei!

JoeST

OH AWESOME, Fred has a bat thread :) Cant wait for more stuff, and that stuff you are doing now looks awesome :)

Joe

PS:
Quote from: wouanagaine on May 16, 2009, 07:23:59 AM
Of course this would be easier and quicker in 2 or 3 weeks  ::)
was that a subtle hint in a hidden backwater thread? :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

LoL Joe I was going to ask the same thing butttttttttttttttttttttt you know the old saying around here lol....

"It will be Ready when its Ready"

So I was trying to avoid it hehehe but since you asked first, is that the one thingie in development for the past umm almost 3 plus years now Wou???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BarbyW

Pat

PWNG LoL I guess that was coming lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mrbisonm

I have been working on this model for several years, on and off, and I am about to finish it. I rendered it temporarily last night and now I am wondering about the scale. Although in gmax I tried my best to keep the scale compared to other buildings, once rendered and plopped in the game , it seems to be a little too big in my opinion.
I would like your opinion also on this. Maybe I will have to resize it. Thanks

This is the whole model, parts of it I have used to make $$$ Residentials (see page above). These also will soon be finished and sent for tweaking.

Also, I don't have the time, knowledge nor the desire to make nitelites, so it doesn't have any besides the ones I will put on the lot. I never use nitelites anyways myself, many others do the same.
This will be a College once finished and yes, it will have a different lot, I only put it temporarily on this plein and empty lot to see what it looks like ingame before I create a good-looking lot.
It will sit on a 6x6.

I will send it to BarbyW to tweak the stats.

Thanks for the feedback and your opinion.

Fred

tag_one

The scale looks very good to me. It's a large buildings, but it doesn't look out of place at all.  &apls
Imho it's a pity your not going to add nightlights to it. It's only a matter of adding some omni light at some strategic places and add 'nitelite' before their names. Not difficult at all and it takes about the same amount of time as reading this post  ;)