• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Dave's Random LE Works

Started by tooheys, May 02, 2008, 08:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Hi everyone, in this thread I'll show some lots I have created to fill in a gap or two in my MD cities.

They'll certainly be no masterpieces, but if there is enough interest I might consider for release at some time.

As always, welcome your feedback.

This is a small truck stop, for use just off a hwy. Sometimes, you just have to go. I will show it in use in my MD sometime this weekend.
Might do one with a small diner as well. Anyway, that's all for now.

Cheers

Dave

CasperVg

Looks great, good work on it. Maybe having one truck facing the different direction would make it a tad less repetitive (in direction). Otherwise, it looks real good.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

paroch

Dave,

As is so often the case, the simple ideas are the best!

A nice simple lot that is certainly very useful.  I can see Casper's point, may not have noticed it myself, but a quick 180 degree flip for one or two would finish it off perfectly.

Catch up soon,

Paul

threestooges

As has been said, either flip a truck or add some one-way arrows and this'll be one useful lot. Great use of what looks to be PEG's restroom. This lot is one of those things that you never think about and then realize just how useful it can really be (not unlike the real thing). Good work.
-Matt

tooheys

Thanks peeps.

And when I should have been working on more important things, well, I stuck with the truck stop.

The original lot, with a few trucks now pointing in the opposite direction. Size 6x2 and it is a park lot.

V2, a place for a snack, and a good place to test your immune system. Size 6x2, a landmark with a small number of C$ jobs

V3, a combination of both. 12x2, again a landmark with C$ jobs.

Thanks for the feedback and looking forward to your comments re these latest versions.

Cheers

Dave

JoeST

Looking great in here Dave, thanks for sharing :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Diggis

These look great.  &apls I would suggest another version with a larger building for the cafe. 

xxdita

Actually, I think it makes more sense the way you had it first, as there would be one on each side of any highway for semi's, or one large one in the middle. Not sure that the NAM team has gotten to divided highways just yet though...

tooheys

Thanks everyone. xxdita, my original plan was to run them alongside a RHW offramp, so the oneway direction was needed, but you are right, you could place one on either side of an avenue etc.

Well once I get an idea in my head, it takes over in a big way. The truck stop seems to be growing a tad. Here is a very early shot of a version I'm working on at the moment.

The beauty of this type of lot is there are so many possible variations. I know Joan has an idea of her own in the regard. Anyway, will post some updates as I go along. And as always, give me your thoughts.

Dave

Pat

Dave looking real good here M8!!!  Here are some of my thoughts and be prepared they are going to be pretty heafty from little ole me...  OK here we go is a linkie to info in my fair state of Wisconsin and here is the complete list of all area's threw out the state... 

As Nate allready pointed out there is always East bound and West Bound rest area's, usaly they are the same on either side...  These also cater to both Semi's and vehicualer traffic as well...  Here is a linkie to Iowa's only website of a rest area and hopefully that will help you out some more....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Thank you Pat, you've provided pix of what I've been trying to explain to these NUTs. Now maybe they'll believe that many or our rest areas are like huge public parks! $%Grinno$%

Dave, your first rest stop - and the second ever more so - reminds me of a cross between what we call "weigh stations" and "truck stops" here in the states, but neither comes close to fitting the quintessential definition.

Weigh stations are owned and operated by the various State Departments of Transportation. As their names suggest, they are stop offs where trucks are weighed to make sure stated and actual weights match. They are rather bleak like this one near the Arkansas/Tennessee border:

The only thing about your layouts that made me think of a weigh station was the ground work and shapes therein, BTW.

Truck stops are overgrown filling stations, service stations, gas stations, petrol stops, or whatever. Usually there is a restaurant, and many features which cater to the bulky size of 18-wheelers.

Here's a large one in an unnamed U.S. location...

...and a smaller one in Utah:

Your creations are, indeed, more like rest stops without the amenities of a park, and I really think you're onto something useful. Anyway, if nothing else, maybe these pix will help you better understand what I'm used to seeing, and why my ideas might not fit your vision of a project.

Later...
Jm

BarbyW

Dave's rest stops are very much like many seen here in France with little in the way of amenities but a place to stop, grab something to eat or drink if you are lucky and park the truck for a rest. Nothing so flash as a service station though.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Shadow Assassin

Sometimes I see rest stops near service stations (usually taking the block next door), which usually just has a standalone toilet block, a place for the kids to play, and of course, a place for trucks to park. :P

I like the idea. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

sebes

Wow David - excellent truck stops, especially the 12x2 version will look cool on country roads!

I agree with Nate that most of these area's will be used on RHW with divided lanes and have traffic in one direction only. Do you still plan to make a highway version?
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

jacqulina

these are very good excellent job there &apls

xxdita

I really do think you're on to something here that will add a bit of realism to the game's highway systems. And I think I may have a way to bring it to full fruition...

tooheys

Thanks for all the ideas people. There will be several variations and you have given me plenty to think about. Nate, nothing like keeping me hanging lol.

So here is my last rest area with a little more work done.

It is meant to run alongside a RHW offramp. I haven't got RHW installed in my test area, but will have this fixed by
next update so you can see how I intend to use it in game.

Thanks for the feedback as always

Dave

paroch

Oh yes, very nice.  I like the layout of the lots, with loos, shop, food and petrol.  I'll be watching with interest for release.  If you need any help testing etc just say.

Jmouse

Very nice work, Dave. All the amenities are laid out in a logical order, but it's the three angled trucks that add icing on the cake. They give the lot a touch of variety and visual interest. The only thing I could desire is a few Sims wandering about.

Later...
JmS

wouanagaine

Very sweet
Maybe you can add some big trees to cast some shadows over the parking so drivers can sleep well even on a sunny day :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4