• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

Here's a tip: You can demolish the non starter stub tile of the starter piece and leave just the stub tile, then draw road over it. Lets you do very short stretches of NWM, and you don't have a "solid tile" in the way.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Mike1814

Quote from: Blue Lightning on July 05, 2010, 04:45:16 AM
Here's a tip: You can demolish the non starter stub tile of the starter piece and leave just the stub tile, then draw road over it. Lets you do very short stretches of NWM, and you don't have a "solid tile" in the way.

Thanx. I still have some conflicts (i.e., I cant make opposite T intersection in some cases if you know what I mean).

It also seems that the NWM is an invitation for the cars and buses to flood the roads. Before I applied them. I didn't have a big problem w/ traffic. Just wanted to reduce the no job zots. Now I've placed them, I have more traffic than ever, hence a lot of red dots.

cubby420

Mike1814: Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't be seeing any traffic problems with the NWM that you wouldn't have with maxis roads, avenues, and OWR. Commute times are determined by the tile size (1-tile networks vs. 2-tile networks) of the given network and whatever traffic simulator you use. Perhaps a different simulator would remedy your traffic woes.

j-dub

I know some of you wanted traffic lights on OWR 4 or 5, that actually change red, there is a way to get this to work, at the moment I found out if you substitute half of AVE-4 or 6 and build with those intersections instead between the OWR, the lights actually work, because the intersection is read fully as road, not OWR, however I don't think there will be a individual piece like this made any time soon.

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on July 08, 2010, 09:29:01 AM
I know some of you wanted traffic lights on OWR 4 or 5, that actually change red, there is a way to get this to work, at the moment I found out if you substitute half of AVE-4 or 6 and build with those intersections instead between the OWR, the lights actually work, because the intersection is read fully as road, not OWR, however I don't think there will be a individual piece like this made any time soon.

Actually, what'll probably happen is TuLEPs intersections for OWRs.  As we have more control over the underlying network on puzzle pieces, it would be possible to use them to trick the game into allowing proper signal functionality on those networks. 

-Alex

MandelSoft

The TULeP approach seems right to me. As Alex said, with puzzle pieces, we have more control over the intersections. This would be ideal. We finally may get some realistic OWR intersection setups.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

kassarc16

Quote from: Tarkus on July 08, 2010, 09:38:07 AM
Actually, what'll probably happen is TuLEPs intersections for OWRs.  As we have more control over the underlying network on puzzle pieces, it would be possible to use them to trick the game into allowing proper signal functionality on those networks. 

-Alex

If that pans out, you'll have made my day again, Tarkus! I've always hated OWRs because of the lack of stop-paths!

Dethsrow

Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I am having difficulties with the NWM everytime I go to plop a puzzle piece I get the message "##Intersection placement string missing##" im not sure why I read some forums that say that it may be an older version of NAM causing conflict however I have tried deleting every NAM file in my plugins and then re-downloaded NAM may 2010 and then the NWM but when I load the game and try building I get the same message "##Intersection placement string missing##" I also tried cleanitol but this hasn't been much success either. RHW and regular NAM pieces all work fine but not NWM I have been at this for the last 5hrs now so please if anyone can help me.

Tarkus

You've got some sort of outdated RUL-bound plugin sitting in your Plugins folder that is interfering with the NWM functionality.  Remove it and everything should be okay.

-Alex

Dethsrow

Quote from: Tarkus on July 08, 2010, 11:52:57 PM
You've got some sort of outdated RUL-bound plugin sitting in your Plugins folder that is interfering with the NWM functionality.  Remove it and everything should be okay.

-Alex

Im having extreme difficulties finding this RUL-bound plugin when I did a file search and used cleanitol it doesn't detect it also when I run the game in the highway icon it says that I have Network Addon Mod Controller version: r27u (July 18, 2009) I don't know why this is when I clearly deleted every  NAM file that I had before I installed NAM May 2010 and the NWM could it be that I deleted the previous NAM without uninstalling it by clicking on the uninstall icon it its folder??

Tarkus

Quote from: Dethsrow on July 09, 2010, 07:49:27 AM
I run the game in the highway icon it says that I have Network Addon Mod Controller version: r27u (July 18, 2009)

The way the controller marker system is designed to work, it'll show the version of the last-loading Controller build (provided it has a marker--they were introduced in 2009) on the description.  This confirms you have a conflict.  Controller r27u was the controller that was released as part of the July 2009 NAM.  The most up-to-date public release version is Controller r69 (15 May 2010).

r27u is likely sitting in a folder coming after Network Addon Mod in alphabetic order.  If you've DatPacked your NAM in the past, the resultant Network Addon Mod.dat file in Plugins_compressed would be a culprit.  Additionally, if you've left any backed-up old NAM files in there, there's a possibility is there.

-Alex

Mike1814

Quote from: cubby420 on July 06, 2010, 06:25:14 PM
Mike1814: Unless I'm mistaken, you shouldn't be seeing any traffic problems with the NWM that you wouldn't have with maxis roads, avenues, and OWR. Commute times are determined by the tile size (1-tile networks vs. 2-tile networks) of the given network and whatever traffic simulator you use. Perhaps a different simulator would remedy your traffic woes.

Well I am using the ultra simulator but it seems worse that the z ultra updates that was posted before NAM 2010.

Tarkus

Quote from: Mike1814 on July 09, 2010, 06:19:44 PM
Well I am using the ultra simulator but it seems worse that the z ultra updates that was posted before NAM 2010.

It would help to see an image of one of your congestion maps.

Also, it sounds like there is a possibility you may have some sort of conflicting Traffic Simulator file in your Plugins somewhere.  This could include an old copy of a NAM Traffic Plugin.  Additionally, hailman's Variable Route Bus Plugin is actually a modified Maxis traffic simulator, and its settings are completely NWM-incompatible.

-Alex

Kitsune

I hit a weird bug - I dragged a road over a SAM cobblestone T intersection... and it turned the road into TLA-3.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on July 09, 2010, 09:12:09 PM
I hit a weird bug - I dragged a road over a SAM cobblestone T intersection... and it turned the road into TLA-3.

More than likely, there was a starter remnant somewhere in the vicinity there.  I don't know the network trigger specs off my head, but more than likely, the "false intersection" design used to initiate the override is the same on the SAM Cobblestone Street and the TLA-3, just that one uses the Street network and the other uses Road.  Dragging a Road over top would, in theory, create what you saw.

-Alex

Mike1814

Quote from: Tarkus on July 09, 2010, 06:34:37 PM
It would help to see an image of one of your congestion maps.

Also, it sounds like there is a possibility you may have some sort of conflicting Traffic Simulator file in your Plugins somewhere.  This could include an old copy of a NAM Traffic Plugin.  Additionally, hailman's Variable Route Bus Plugin is actually a modified Maxis traffic simulator, and its settings are completely NWM-incompatible.

-Alex

Here this isn't the city I used the NWM on but this is just to make it point. I'll probably post this on the NAM 2010 support threat also. But this is a city I haven't played since I installed the new NAM, so it isn't affected.

It seems like my traffic has worsened since installing NAM 2010. I'm using simulator ultra, which is acting worse than the z updated before that new NAM.

Before NAM 2010:

After NAM 2010:

Here are my files in the NAM folder:

SN: This is on imageshack right now. I apologize if the images are too big. If this doesn't work I don't know what is the problem.

j-dub

Mike1814, as of this moment of posting, all your pictures display a ?, and a requested URL can not be found when copying the link. You may need to reupload if that image host made your photos go down.

Mike1814

Quote from: j-dub on July 11, 2010, 09:25:17 PM
Mike1814, as of this moment of posting, all your pictures display a ?, and a requested URL can not be found when copying the link. You may need to reupload if that image host made your photos go down.

Fixed (for now at least, it wasn't like that a few hours ago)

Monorail Master

Quote from: Mike1814 on July 11, 2010, 10:13:00 PM
Fixed (for now at least, it wasn't like that a few hours ago)

I still see the red X where the pictures are supposed to be.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Monorail Master on July 12, 2010, 07:00:26 AM

I still see the red X where the pictures are supposed to be.
The images are working for me now. I can tell you that those single red cells you see on your networks are a normal feature of the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator, formerly Simulator Z. It was modified to reduce traffic capacity in the cells adjacent to an intersection, in order to properly simulate the slowdown effect on drivers stopping at the traffic lights.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8