• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

MAVE6 to RHW6/MHW transitions would be great as well ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

jdenm8

Quote from: el_cozu on June 24, 2010, 11:54:57 AM
hey... you know what would be awesome... a transition between OWR-4 into 2 OWR-2... and OWR-5 into OWR-2 + OWR-3
Ugh... If you had read previous posts you would have found transitions like this have been confirmed to be in development. Two or three times.

Quote from: io_bg on June 24, 2010, 01:25:05 PM
MAVE6 to RHW6/MHW transitions would be great as well ;D
I think RHW-6S might come in the forseeable future (I don't know, I'm not in the NAM team) on the virtue that it would be easier to create than a RHW-6C transition (RHW-6C is a three-tile network and RHW-6S is a two-tile network - To transfer to 6C, the network must gain another tile as per the RHW-6C to RHW-6S transition). MHW... might happen.
Quote from: sebs23 on June 24, 2010, 11:28:14 AM
Hey, ... Also, when will the TLA-7s be coming out?
The NAM team, as well as much of the SC4 community, doesn't announce release dates as a strict rule. This is mainly done for two reasons. Not setting a time-frame keeps pressure off the team for a release by a set date and it doesn't disappoint you when the date is set back if it needs to be.
All they say is
QuoteIt's coming

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Twinsfan14

Just so you know...
I have uploaded some NWM Toll Booths. They're not perfect, but I was able to figure it out. Here's a link. http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=24238

j-dub

I am not a fan of paying tolls, especially when you consider roads are not in the best condition despite toll increase in some places, but ignoring RL for a minute, a lot of people will finally get what they need from this for SC4. Your modding is appreciated, plus it mimicks the toll booths available for RHW, good choice using those modern models.

firefighter57

Quote from: Twinsfan14 on June 25, 2010, 09:40:36 AM
Just so you know...
I have uploaded some NWM Toll Booths. They're not perfect, but I was able to figure it out. Here's a link. http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=24238

Is there anyway you could do road top mass transit (bus/subway and bus) stops for NWM as well?   I am surprised no one has released them yet.

wes.janson

Quote from: firefighter57 on June 25, 2010, 08:08:12 PM
Is there anyway you could do road top mass transit (bus/subway and bus) stops for NWM as well?   I am surprised no one has released them yet.

That would fall under the RTMT team, as the NAM team does not do LOTs. As far as I recall, the RTMT team does have plans to cover the NWM, but that sort of thing will months to plan/create/test/release. Also, seeing as how recent the release of the NWM is, I think it's highly unfair to be expecting product already. You do realize that this work is all done in the spare time people feel they can devote to this game/community and we should be more than grateful that they feel the desire to do so, and also have the pride to make sure we get the best product they can provide.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

firefighter57

Quote from: wes.janson on June 25, 2010, 10:40:31 PM
That would fall under the RTMT team, as the NAM team does not do LOTs. As far as I recall, the RTMT team does have plans to cover the NWM, but that sort of thing will months to plan/create/test/release. Also, seeing as how recent the release of the NWM is, I think it's highly unfair to be expecting product already. You do realize that this work is all done in the spare time people feel they can devote to this game/community and we should be more than grateful that they feel the desire to do so, and also have the pride to make sure we get the best product they can provide.

easy pal,
I was asking twinsfan since he already did it with the toll booths.  I totally understand the guys on the NWM team have worked their asses off and did not expect them to even consider working on this.

MattyFo

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 26, 2010, 10:38:21 AM

mrtnrln in the TuLEP's board, has saved me from having to post my own pic :P  Is there a plan to fix the missing part of the Ave-2 diagonal, in the upcomming patch?

-Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Tarkus

Quote from: MattyFo on June 26, 2010, 12:46:03 PM
Is there a plan to fix the missing part of the Ave-2 diagonal, in the upcomming patch?

-Matt

There is no missing part of the AVE-2 diagonal . . . unless you place a zone or plop a lot right next to one, in which case it'll cover up the overhanging network model.

-Alex

superhands

actually  $%Grinno$% in the above instance, since the diagonal is only 1 tile it will be missing since the model has the 'bites' on the outside of the texture not the insides or on the curves.

and i guess the draggable s-curve would need the same attention. it didn't come to my attention at all when creating the 'bites'.

owr-3 however has the curve as a model and is a ok.

-dave

yddot

Alex,

Can you include an option in 2.0 to disable the "wealthification" feature we discussed weeks ago?  (Or is that possible now?)  Optimally, I'd like for it to just display generic, middle-class sidewalks by default since my computer is having the z-fighting issues with multiple textures that are dictated by surrounding wealth level and development.

Thanks,
Matt

Tarkus

Quote from: superhands on June 26, 2010, 08:20:28 PM
actually  $%Grinno$% in the above instance, since the diagonal is only 1 tile it will be missing since the model has the 'bites' on the outside of the texture not the insides or on the curves.

and i guess the draggable s-curve would need the same attention. it didn't come to my attention at all when creating the 'bites'.

owr-3 however has the curve as a model and is a ok.

-dave

Somehow I never noticed that . . . probably because I use the wide-radius curves when possible.  Should be easily to fix, though.

Quote from: yddot on June 29, 2010, 12:20:25 PM
Alex,

Can you include an option in 2.0 to disable the "wealthification" feature we discussed weeks ago?  (Or is that possible now?)  Optimally, I'd like for it to just display generic, middle-class sidewalks by default since my computer is having the z-fighting issues with multiple textures that are dictated by surrounding wealth level and development.

Thanks,
Matt

I have an idea of how to do that, though it'll take some experimentation to see if it works.  It'll probably happen after the 1.0.3 bugfix release, though.

-Alex

sumwonyuno

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank you all who made the NWM!   :)

I've been rebuilding roadways in my region, and I run the simulator after to see if everything's all right.  There is one issue that caught my eye as I checked commute paths:

I route-queried Zaldi Apartments, and the game drew the following paths.  The pedestrian path goes off for about ~60 tiles and then comes back to continue along the street.  The anomalous path occurs where the OWR-3 shifts one tile down.  This issue happens when I query the other apartments that have pedestrians that go through that point.  There are two other places with the same OWR-3 tile shift configuration to the right of this screenshot, and the pedestrian path issue happens in those places as well.  It's not limited to the north sidewalk, but the south sidewalk as well.

I've looked through the thread, all the way back to page 65, and I don't think anyone else has reported this problem yet.  The simulator has run for several years, so it's not like the paths haven't been updated.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

XL2007

Quote from: zdog720 on June 10, 2010, 11:40:37 PM
Is it possible to change the new NWM Avenues stoplights from this:
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3474/vn1.png

To These stoplights:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1760/img0019xs5.jpg

or like this:

http://yfrog.com/mostoplightj

Don't mind me asking, but where can I find a NWM texture like the one in this pic?
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1760/img0019xs5.jpg

Looks very, very nice.

Tarkus

Quote from: sumwonyuno on June 30, 2010, 03:56:20 AM
First, I'd like to thank you all who made the NWM!   :)

You're most welcome! :)

I route-queried Zaldi Apartments, and the game drew the following paths.  The pedestrian path goes off for about ~60 tiles and then comes back to continue along the street.  The anomalous path occurs where the OWR-3 shifts one tile down. 

I think I may know what's causing that.  It's similar to something that happened with the FAR-to-Diagonal Transition awhile back, and it has to do with the path start/end coordinates.  Should be relatively easy to fix, fortunately.

Quote from: XL2007 on June 30, 2010, 05:34:05 PM
Don't mind me asking, but where can I find a NWM texture like the one in this pic?

That's not an NWM texture . . . it's part of a non-functioning series of Lots.

-Alex

itfitzme

A quick question regarding traffic capacity.  Is the capacity of these streets and avenues based directly on the tile width?  To rephrase it, are all single tile width aves the same capacity, regardless of the number of lanes appearing in the cosmetic "skin"?  You see, my experience with the RHW (an excellent piece of work, btw) is that highways like the RHW-8 and RHW-10 are identical in capacity which is set by the traffic simulator on a per tile width basis.  So far, given this, I have not had particular reason to use the NWM as I am more interested in the traffic simulator aspect of the game as opposed to the look of things.

Obviously, the two tile OWR still has some pretty solid capacity for a single direction.  If the roads and aves in the NWM are of different capacities, are they still identical to the underlying maxis street, road and aves?  Would you be so kind as to detail the specific capacities (obviously dependent of the TCST setting). 

Much thanks.

Tarkus

It basically operates on the same principles as the RHW.  The 2-way networks are all Road-based, and capacities can be derived by multiplying the width (in number of tiles) by the capacity of the Road network for your particular Traffic Plugin.  The dual-tile 2-way networks (TLA-5, MAVE-4, MAVE-6) should have the same capacity as the default Avenue network.  The 1-way networks are One Way Road-based, and you can derive the capacity from Tile Width x OWR capacity.

Due to the crosspathing on the TLA networks and the multi-tile OWRs, the game actually considers all tiles of those networks to be intersections, and as such, they are also affected by the first value in the Intersection and Turn Effect property in the traffic simulator exemplar.  The effect is reconciled in the current May 2010 NAM Traffic Plugin options and the TSCT, which all have that first value set to 1.0.

-Alex

eclipticalstorm

I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but does using the NWM increase the capacity of the roads.  For instance, if I have a road and traffic is terrible in one direction could I upgrade that road to an asymmetrical road to increase capacity in the necessary direction?  Just curious because it requires less demolition and allows traffic to still flow in both directions.  Thanks in advance!

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: eclipticalstorm on July 03, 2010, 12:18:36 PM
I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but does using the NWM increase the capacity of the roads.  For instance, if I have a road and traffic is terrible in one direction could I upgrade that road to an asymmetrical road to increase capacity in the necessary direction?  Just curious because it requires less demolition and allows traffic to still flow in both directions.  Thanks in advance!
No, actually, all the road-based networks that are one cell wide have the exact same capacity. SC4 calculates network capacity by the network's width in cells, as well as with properties of each of the Maxis networks that are defined in the traffic simulator. Since the two-way NWM networks are all based on the default road network, all NWM road-based networks that are the same width in cells have the same capacity. It would be nice if the number of lanes you see determined capacity, but no one has found a way to do that, and since the traffic simulator's fundamental properties are part of the .exe, I doubt it's at all possible to make that change.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Mike1814

Question:
Is it really important to remove the starter pieces?
I ask because after I apply the roads, the traffic gets wacky.
The commute arrows are all over the place and I get strange spots of red in the traffic diagram.

And I don't like that I the street have to a be a certain distance for the roads to work.