• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Hello, Dave!

The lake and the surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful! After seeing it, I'm thinking of purchasing a home in the area myself! Keep up the fabulous work, my friend!

Dustin

paroch

Hi Dave,

Another great update.  The lake and surrounding resi area is top notch.  I also like the mayor's island, very nicely done.  The school complex is great, I'm assuming you've used two different schools - very realistic, the old part and the newer extension - with really good use of sports fields.  And the aussie flag is a nice touch too.  And I like your use of names "islands in the stream, parton and rogers seperated by cleavidge drive"  :D :D :D.  I bet you were working nine to five to come up with that!!

pipishere

I'm terribly sorry i've missed soo many updates...RL and stuff has kept me rather busy as of late.

Yamba is a great port and has given me some ideas for my re-generation.

St. Leonards is utterly fabulous! The high-rise area looks very well laid out and the residential areas look very realistic. Such a great use of various different kinds of flora too.

Great stuff!  &apls ;)

tooheys

Replies

bat: bat my friend, thanks for dropping by.

Jmouse: Thanks Joan, been a while since the last update, but I hope you like.

thundercrack83: Better get in early while the prices are still low  :) Dustin, thanks for the comments mate.

paroch: Lol, thanks for the comments. Yes they are different schools, I'm afraid my lot making skills are non-existant.

pipishere: Thanks Pip, appreciate the comments and I hope the regeneration is going well.

St Leonards

Sorry for the delay between updates. I have done quite a bit of work in St Leonards but it took a while to get it in a condition to show.
Anyway, hope you enjoy these pic's.

The lakes area continues to attract people and there are always developments under way. A university has also been
constructed in the area.

Along the lake is the recently established College for Paddleboat Operators.

A few more commercial towers for the skyline. The highways have also had a facelift with a colour change, good
idea Stewart.

And just to keep the energy stocks on the up, here is a nightime shot.

A residential area on a low lying island, it's built behind levies to keep out any floodwater. A great idea, but in time of flood
the sewerage has nowhere to go, which is fine I guess if you live on the top floor.

Another residential area across the river from the commercial precinct.

And of course a little bit of industrial for those workers who like to get their hands dirty.

Again, sorry for the delay. Another update next weekend.

Cheers

Dave

bat

A fantastic new update of St Leonards! Great work on the lake area! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Very nice update.  I love the very long transition on the rail line to the bridge.  That looks perfect and very realistic.  Did you get a chance to check out my MD abd the little tutorial I made on how I would make bridges over plop water?  I think it turned out okay, it was my first time making a tutorial.  Anyways, enough about me.  My favourite pictures are the sixth one and the last one.  The sixth because of that beautiful slope on the rail line and the last because of the different levels and the network setup.  Great job, my friend, great job.

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

St. Leonards is shaping up nicely with an equitable balance between R, C and I. The apartment buildings are just the size I like -- not too overtowering overpowering! And I like the slopes and walls, too. You're very good at creating interesting variations with your transport system.

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Elllllllllllllo Dave ( in a cheap Mrs Doubtfire voice.......)
I do have to say the last few updates was pretty good there M8 and i agree with Joan what she said
about your transportation network and will add its very realistic!!!  great job davie and will see you next
time - pat :)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

urban

very nice trafic system and the idea of the levies is good as well :)

probably the best tropical forests Pat Riot
the jungle and the seaside resorts are looking spectacular kwakelaar
such stunning and natural tropical sceneries iamgoingtoeatyou
Walker's Island

paroch

Hi Dave,

Very nice update (as usual).  I like the overview of the lake, looks really good.  And i like the college for paddleboat operators (where do you get these ideas :D).  I'm assuming the college is the Aspen village condos.  Looks really good.  Is it just a residential lot or has it been amended to act as a school/college?

And I see you've even got a PEG ferry with connecting roads - well done!

I look forward to further developments.

Paul

thundercrack83

I love downtown St. Leonards, Dave--Love it! The skyline is beautiful! And, of course, so are the parks! It's always a pleasure to see what you've got going on here in Balnavia! Until next time, my good friend!

stewart_garden

Great update Dave.  I have another suggestion (I'll only stop if I get given beer).  PEG has a mod that removes those sawtooth edges on diagonal rail.  It is here if you are interested.

Sorry for short message - really busy right now.

Stewart

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

tooheys

Replies

rooker1: Thanks Robin, I like the gradual transition of the rail, but it plays havoc with planning. And your tutorial was great, will give a try when the opportunity presents itself.

Jmouse: Hi Joan, thanks for the comments and I'm looking forward to Wednesday.

patfirefghtr: Pat my friend, I hope you don't dress like Mrs Doubtfire too  $%Grinno$%

urban: Appreciate the comments, thanks Urban.

paroch: Paul, the college is a BSC lot, BLS School-Miss Mel's Academy, and it acts as a school. I'm sure it's available on the exchange here.
Thanks for the comments. Also if you are still having trouble with the ferries, why not post a query on the PEG site, I'm sure they can help.

thundercrack83: Thanks Dustin

stewart_garden: You can have that beer but don't stop with your suggestions. I have downloaded the
mod and it does look a lot better. Thanks :thumbsup:

St Leonards

Not all highrises in this city, but they still like the buildings to have a bit of height to get a decent view from the penthouse.

Boats for Hire, for any aspiring Skippers or Gilligans. For those who want to play it safe, you can settle for a
paddleboat in the nearby pond.

St Leonards Sports High. Need to outrun the cops, jump that fence blocking your escape, throw that brick thru the
plateglass window, you can get all the necessary training right here, and it's free.

A couple of the transport options available in St Leonards, GLR and Ferries. You may have noticed I have
installed a new rock mod. I think it looks a lot better, interested to hear what you think.

The Court for Celebrity Infringements. They even roll out the red carpet when in session.

A few more commercial towers have been added to the skyline.

People really should turn the lights off when they go home.

One more update under the belt.

See you all next week

Cheers

Dave

bat

Another fantastic new update, Dave! Great work on that city! :thumbsup: Wonderful pictures!

thundercrack83

Love the trains, Dave! My favorite one is the elevated train crossing the bridge, beautiful work capturing that! It's always a pleasure to see what's happening here!

Pat

Sweet update here dave and no i didnt dress like him/her lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Pat, Dustin and Bat thanks for the comments, full replies next update.

To the matter at hand, I am working on a new rural area, experimenting with a few new lots, mainly some walls and canals.

I guess first I should show you a pic:

The problem I have encountered is that wherever the walls or canal are adjacent to the road, I lose the dirt texture and end up with the
standard maxis road.

The effect is pretty ordinary and I don't like the way it looks. I'm not sure if there is a way to overcome this, but any ideas
would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

M4346

Quote from: tooheys on October 08, 2007, 02:54:26 AM
The problem I have encountered is that wherever the walls or canal are adjacent to the road, I lose the dirt texture and end up with the
standard maxis road.

The effect is pretty ordinary and I don't like the way it looks. I'm not sure if there is a way to overcome this, but any ideas
would be appreciated.

The only way to overcome it is to use IR zones next to the streets throughout. Even where you have a canal on one side of the street, zone IR on the otherside and the existence of the IR would keep it from reverting back to paved streets.

This is the only work around that I know of, of course, until the Dirt Streets are included in the SAM.

Alternatively you can use these lots -> Click! wherever you have canal bridges to make it look like a more rural transition. That's what I do anyway. ;) I'll see if I can take a pic of my farms and show you.  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

jimmymac

Hey Dave, I had this same issue with Invermere Valley when I was doing some of the areas. I ended up using the tactic that M4346 suggested and building agriculture on the opposite side, however I have now since gone back and gone over the area with the SAM and put in PEG's gravel streets instead, which is a great replacement for the dirt road tbh and looks just as good when you get the fields around it.

The only trouble with doing that is that if you have diagonal streets then it falls down somewhat as there are no diagonal textures for the SAM.

Pat

I wish i could offer some other advise here dave but it seems to be you gotten some good advise allready.... I hope you do get this worked out though... - pat