• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 8!

wonderful two new pictures, tooheys! Great development at the river! The second one is also great! Looking forward to the weekend update(s)! ;)

Jmouse

Well, Newcastle is coming along swimmingly and Penrith looks promising.
As for the bus stops, I use the ones you plop directly on the street, road, etc. when possible, but it doesn't always work. In hilly terrain, it will break your street, and I use a lot of diagonals, too.
Good luck on your subway system. I'll be watching closely because I've never used one before and I want to learn.

Until next time...
Joan

thundercrack83

Quotethundercrack83: mmm, the first reciever for the Thundercrack Telecommunications Satellite, sounds good to me  Smiley

I'm honored, my friend! Thank you!

It looks Newcastle keeps growing and growing, too! And Penrith looks great, too. I like that communication tower that you have there. It's always a pleasure to view your updates! Keep up the excellent work!

pipishere

I think i can just make out a park yeah...very nice :) The two pictures here are great...especially the second. Can i ask where you got that kind of look out thing that overhangs slightly?!

Thanks!

Pat

Dave all i can say is wonderful update here... see you in a few days - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Snaper

It's very beautiful, I love ... that develop very quickly  :thumbsup:

Always so wooded and very good done  ;)

Bravo l'ami  &apls

tooheys

Replies

threeswept: Thanks for dropping by and I appreciate the comments.

bat: Thank's bat, good to see you dropping by again.

Jmouse: Hi Joan, next Newcastle update will follow this one, and we will see how the subway has helped (or not)

thundercrack83: Appreciate your comments as always Dustin, thanks.

pipishere: Hi pip, I'll give you a closer look at the park soon. Here is the link to the observation deck.

patfirefghtr: Thanks Pat, and hey, has Davey found himself a bear yet  ;D

Snaper: Thank's Snaper, I try to avoid a concrete jungle if I can.

Kurnell

R:36,361    C:8,822     I:14,288

A mix of R C & I, Kurnell is located on the coast and either side of the main shipping
passage to the inland towns and cities. Idustry is located on the East Bank with
residential and commercial to the West.

Here's a shot of the small freight yard. You'd think that the workers would love nothing more than
sinking a quick one at lunchtime, a beer that is. But no, they'd rather sink a putt which might
explain the two mini golf courses that popped up nearby.

This swiming pool has the most draconian dress regulations in the region. Not because the
owners are prudes but because a lot of the drivers on the nearby hwy have wandering eyes
which has been known to cause a pile up or two. Safety before comfort.

Note the dying trees along the shoreline. Locals are blaming borers, that may be partly correct but
that doesnt explain how the holes became filled with Roundup. Anything for a view.

Part of the commercial area, with the local hospital and schools. You can also see the
football stadium  :'(  Would someone please bat a rugby league ground.

Newcastle update in 24hrs

Until then

Cheers

Dave

bat

That is again a great update, tooheys! Great work! Looking forward to the Newcastle update...

pipishere

Hey, very nice update...love the attention to detail & thanks for the link! btw..You can find a Rugby Field here. I'm sure you can edit it in the lot editor to make a stadium of some kind.

:)

Russell

I agree with Pipishere, you have an eye for details that makes every picture worth an extra look. I also like your intricate system of highways, avenues and roads. Again a terrific update.  :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Dave, you're the only person I know who can made a lovely city out of a bunch of grids.  ::) I still haven't figured out how you do what you do, but enjoy looking at the results anyway. Charming update as always, and love the dead trees. I've always blamed mine on pollution and the RR traffic!

Until next time...
Jm

thundercrack83

I'm running out of words to use to describe your work, Dave! Wonderful, excellent, outstanding...I think I've used them all! Oh, well. I guess I'll have to start over!

Kurnell looks fantastic, I love the small port and the seawalls, and I especially love how you have the highway snaking through the whole tile. Wonderful / excellent / (insert your own adjective here) work, my friend! I'll be back to see more!

Nardo69

Hi Dave!

Sorry for the last gap ... RLS you know ... so let's do some MD critics ...

PAGE 6:

Newcastle
Interesting ferry layout with the embanked avenue. I might have tried tro prolong the RR to the ferry but I am not sure if it was looking better ...
When you use that nice RR station not as a terminus be aware that it blocks freight trains unless you mod it by yourself!  "$Deal"$
Good one for connecting the avenue with the T-intersection to the highway!   &apls

Lion Island:
Except for the lake nice layout. For such a small island I see no source for the (sweat?) water unless it is not within the region of daily tropical rain ...

Newcastle Airport:
Nice Airport.
Don't expect anything more than this from me when it comes to airports. I don't like them at all!

Ramsgate:

Nice one wtih the bride and the ferry terminal. And I agree that the affect of too much "security" just turns to the opposite ...

Sans Souci:
You haven't had the famous German palace in mind, did you?
Nice story on the English chief

Newcastle
: Great Mall area at the RR station with the center platform!

PAGE 7:

An airport. Nice. Did I ever told you that I don't like airports?
Nice RR terminal at the industrial area. I would try to run some freight tracks in between the factories. If they are I-S or I-M and big enough Iit surely will look good!

Newcastle
I really like that Tower!

PAGE 8:
Nice industrial area.
One suggestion regading the second pic:
I would just replace that ingame - highway overpass with a NAM overpas - with an angle to be precise. Just use the 90-degree curve and place the second ramp parallel to the highway. It is a bit variety and you can avoid these ugly curves at the end of the ramp!

The story of the swimming pool reminds of a man in the neighbour vilage. He built his house next to the public pool (that has been established before WWII there!) and then fought (and lost) a juristic for years because of the noise ...

Next time I shouldn't pass so much updates I think ...

Take care and don't forget to make backups! 

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Pat

LoL Nardo we should call you are offical MD critic cause man that sums up alot of Daves hard work here...
Davey indeed found his bear LoL and now also is East bound and Down

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Replies

bat: Thanks bat, here's Newcastle as promised.

pipishere: Thanks for the link pip  :). As for making my own lot, have never even tried using the lot
editor, but I might give it a go someday. Appreciate the comments.

Russell: Hi Russell, I'm pleased that you enjoy your visits to Balnavia. Thanks for the comments.

Jmouse: Thank's for the compliment Joan. If you ever work out how I do it, I'd rather not know  :)

thundercrack83: Be careful Dustin, my head will start to swell  ;D  Thankyou for the great comments.

Nardo69:: No problems, can't avoid RLS. What I appreciate is that while there may be a bit of a gap between visits,
you take the time to thoroughly look at everything since your last post.  :)

Thanks for your comments as always. Have taken on board the comments regarding rail thru the industrial areas and will have
a bit of a think as to how I might implement this in my next Ind area.

patfirefghtr: Thanks Pat, I'm pleased for Davey, but I feel he may have run into the wrong type of bear, I meant the
furry ones, not those with badges and shotguns (I guess they could be furry too)  :P

The Region

19 active tiles, I've worked regions with a higher population but never with so many active tiles. Hope my PC can hang on.

Newcastle

R:221,426  C:91,466  I:32,310

Now with well over 200k sims calling Newcastle home, things are starting to get a bit difficult.

The city is struggling to keep everybody employed and this is starting to stunt growth. I will need to develop
another industrial area nearby to keep things rolling.

Nevertheless, the CBD has continued to expand, and for pip, a closer shot of the parkland under development.

All these building have C$$ and C$$$ jobs, no landmarks have been used to date.

Built before the high-rises really took off, the offices of the regional governor, once the town hall, are overshadowed
by the latest development, and he ain't happy. Funds have been set aside for new premises, but only if the regional
population exceeds 500k (Almost there, but if the reward chain doesn't work he will be mightily p****d.)

Across the water, residential areas are continuing to grow.

At last, a field not for soccer/football. This is the first highschool in the region that encourages the game of Rugby League.
Named Pipishere High, in honour of the person who brought the game to Balnavia  &apls.

The local St John's ambulance team are also pleased. They actually get some real casualties to practice on, broken arms and legs, eye gouges
and the odd bite. More amazingly, most manage to walk off the ground themselves. They were sick of carrying football players off
on stretchers because there hair was out of place, oh the agony. ( I probably just lost half my fan base with that one, I'm so sorry,
really  :))

As highlighted in a previous update, the first receiver for the Thundercrack Telecommunications Satellite
has been given landmark and heritage status. The city has enveloped the area, but the receiver will
stand for everymore, safely embedded in the middle of the roundabout.

At last update, a few traffic hotspots were evident. The expansion of the subway system was hoped to relieve
the pressure. It has contained the problem, but not reduced it due to the expanding population. However a lot of the
congestion is caused by traffic leaving to adjoining areas so, the subway system is to be expanded into neighbouring towns.

I need to get this a little bigger, but I think you can see that the subway system is still well used.

Where to next, not sure yet. You'll just have to wait (pleease) until next update.

Cheers

Dave

Pat

Ohh Dave you know i will wait till the next update of course.... Riverwood was very good i loved the tour, 
the only thing that was intriguing me a bit was the transition of seawalls you used, from the pier style to
just bricks, its a tad different but its good how you transitioned around the village and in the several
areas i loved that... is this bear more like it???

tooheys

Pat, I don't normally reply to individual posts but you've got me ROTFLMAO  :D

If I can try to be serious for a moment, the only reason I use that transition is because the underbridge lots for
the brick seawalls just don't work in my experience. If anyone has a similar problem and knows a fix, I would be interested to know.

And here is poor Davey after his run in with the bears.

PS: When I first read your post I thought you must have breathed in too many fumes, but I misnamed my city, it is
Newcastle, not Riverwood. I'm sure you noticed this and were trying to tell me subliminally. I have made the change
so no one will ever notice,  unless they read this.

thundercrack83

Whew, it's hard to keep up around here! Another great update, Dave! The more and more Newcastle grows, the more excited I become, waiting to see what the finished city will look like. Keep up the fantastic work!

Jmouse

Long ago and far away, someone said (in a post) that Sims go to work and come home with no side trips. If they go shopping, visit pals in hospital and attend school, it is only in our own imaginations. Well, I much prefer the "let's pretend" approach 'cause I don't wanna grow up.
But in reality, I'm wondering why so many Sims are leaving Newcastle to work. Kurwell has a fair share of I jobs, but the congestion I'm seeing doesn't appear to lead in that direction. So is C development in Newcastle playing catchup?
Oh well, just curious as usual!  ::)
You are doing a fine job of holding things together in the main city, though, and as always, posting some beautiful photos. So glad to see you're not packing in skyscrapers like bloated sardines.

Until next time...
Joan

stewart_garden

Dave,

I'm gutted that I have had limited access to the internet over the last 4 weeks. However, I'm catching up on the 4 pages of Balvania that I missed and will be up to normal commenting speed soon.  Congratulations on your 'Of special interest' status.  I'll have a cold one to celebrate!

Stewart (proudly Aussie...)
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.