• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Province of Clontarf - Update 10 - Elsmere

Started by tooheys, June 01, 2007, 08:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Replies

Sorry for the delay peeps, GRV seems to be taking up a bit of time.

bat: Thanks mate.

Jmouse: Hehe, what do you mean  :angrymore: But you're right, you'd need the earplugs,
especially if I'm singing along to the radio  :D

Ennedi: Hi Adam. Luckily there are a few places up for sale at bargain prices. Just can't avoid the
Global Economic Crisis  ;)

Sciurus: Thanks Guillaume, just had to try them out out. Can always find a place for PEGs boardwalks
and other shore based lots.

CabraBuitre: Appreciate the comments. I admit that the bulldozer gets used quite a lot when laying
those roads and I'm pleased you like the outcome.

art128: Thanks Arthur, there is more on the way, just a little too slowly unfortunately, but we'll' get there  :)

Balnavia, Damn It's a Big Region

If/when I ever finish this, I have promised myself the next region will be a lot smaller. Here is a region view of Balnavia as it
currently stands:

For the reason mentioned above (GRV), progress here has again slowed and I apologise to everyone.

And if you have a look at the above region view, I really can't afford the time away from Balnavia as there is still so much
to do. It is still only about 2/3's complete  :o  One small milestone though, population now exceeds 2.5m.

But I have have been doing a bit of work.  The next set of updates will cover the transport corridor that stretches from
Waitara to Kulburra and across to Redcliffe. The infrastructure has been roughed in and time to add some detail starting
from the coast:-

Asquith (above) and Wanda (below) are neighbours and the hwy has been built on reclaimed land to create a small port shared
by both. Still very much a work in progress. Thinking of converting the hwy to RHW, will see how it looks. Also need to tidy up
the railway loop in Asquith

So that's where Balnavia is at the moment. Next update as soon as I can.

Cheers

Dave

bat

Great work on that region! It looks wonderful! And the two other pictures are also nice! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more... ;)

Jmouse

So much progress already made, yet so much left to do. Surely Balnavia has become a way of life for you by now! The overview is amazing and the transport map is a keeper. It looks a bit chaotic at first glance, but a closer look reveals a very efficient transport system.

That last photo is especially nice with the little cove on the left. Both of the new tiles are coming along nicely, though, and I look forward to seeing them fully developed.

Later...
Joan

Nardo69

Quote from: tooheys on May 27, 2009, 01:37:34 AM
Replies(...)
Balnavia, Damn It's a Big Region

If/when I ever finish this, I have promised myself the next region will be a lot smaller. Here is a region view of Balnavia as it currently stands: (...)

hehe - me too, me too, but my new Urland region isn't smaller, just plain empty ...  &Thk/(

The railway loop is interesting yet ver unusual for a middle european like me. The TCDD however has such loops in almost every railway knot - the trains use always the same cars and they turn the hole train before sending it back.

Take care my friend

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Apparently I've been remiss in not visiting more often!  You've posted a fantastic batch of updates since my last stop in the area.  I'm really loving your waterfront areas!  They're quite diverse in appearance. 

tooheys

Replies

bat: Thanks bat

Jmouse: Well I'm glad someone can make something sense out of the chaos  ;)

Nardo69: Hi Bernhard, more of the loop next update. Thanks for dropping by.

Battlecat: Hi Battlecat, thanks for visiting and I appreciate the comments.

Wanda

Last update I highlighted a couple of small tiles I'd been working on. Work continues but still at a snail's pace
due to GRV but I will have a lot more free time from next week. You may recall that I was tossing up replacing
the standard hwy with RHW. Well this I did and in my opinion, looks a whole lot better. Anyway, Wanda is
complete and here are a few pic's of the finished product.

A very small town, mostly full of retiree's although a few peeps work down at the boathouse.

And joy, more NAM puzzle pieces. Streets now included, well done guys  :thumbsup: Couldn't use them all here but
one or two 45 degree turns make an appearance. Can't wait to try out the rest.

Next update won't be far away for a change. We'll take a look at the other end of this small harbour in Asquith.

Until then

Cheers

Dave

art128

That town looks great Dave, I really love the water front you made ! Also, the second picture is the best IMO !  &apls
Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

I agree, the RHW does look much better. The walls look good, too – I like the way you structured the inside curve. I didn't know you could connect RHW to a roundabout, though – interesting. Nifty looking centerpiece you created in that last pic, too

Looking forward to seeing more updates as all of us get a little break from GRV - guess we could call it a seventh-inning stretch! :D

Later...
Joan

bat

Great work on the RHW there! It looks really nice! :thumbsup:

tooheys

Well what can I say, it's been a great 2+ years but the end is here  :(

Balnavia is at an end my friends, and there was still so much to do. Unfortunately, a recent computer upgrade just didn't agree with Balnavia and it's just not possible to continue.

There is a positive (well for me anyway), I have got SC4 working on the new machine and there will be a new MD soon, probably once the GRV Challenge is over. Although the groundwork has commenced.

A big thankyou to all who have supported The Region of Balnavia over the last couple of years. There have been many, but special mention to Jmouse, Paroch, Nardo, Pat, TTC, Dustin, Bat, Ennedi, Art128, Snaper, Russell, all of which have played a positive role in the development of this MD. :thumbsup: I know I'm going to have to do a follow up post now to include those I forgot  :-[

I guess the result couldn't have been too bad, a Classic MD, 2 time OSITM. and numerous Picture Comp HOF photos originating from Balnavia. Of course that is all thanks to you and I hope to see you all again when The Region of Clontarf makes an appearance in the near future.

Best wishes and see you soon

Dave

TheTeaCat

oooh sad news indeed Dave.

But this has been one of my favourite MD's here and while its not possible for it to continue its good to know
that you shall return with a new one.

Quote from: tooheys on July 17, 2009, 03:00:03 AM
I guess the result couldn't have been too bad, a Classic MD, 2 time OSITM. and numerous Picture Comp HOF photos originating from Balnavia.

These are achievements that many aspire to, and each is something to be proud of. Well done mate :thumbsup:

I look forward to your new region when it appears. Its been fun the last couple of years in Balnavia and I hope to spend as much time in Clontarf as I did here ;D ;D

Till the next time
regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

thundercrack83

This is a sad moment, indeed, Dave. Balnavia has been a mainstay here at SC4D for a very long time, and it's a shame that circumstances beyond your control have brought about its untimely end.

But, as a silver lining--now we all have Clontarf to look forward to!

I can't wait to see your new work, my friend!

Good luck!

Dustin

rooker1

Dave.....

This MD is in the Classics section and picked two times to be in OSITM for a very good reason!!  Let me tell you.....It's definately one of my favourites and everyone elses, which is very obvious by your post count.  I would suggest to you that you just continue from here with the new stuff.  An MD can be a collection of many different things.  It doesn't necessarily have to be one map, idea, region or city.  I would really hate for this MD to fall into the archive section where it will no longer get the reconition it deserves.
Think about it........please.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

Like the many other fans and followers of Balnavia, I'm sorry to see my favorite MD come to an end. There have, indeed, been many shining moments as Balnavia - and your playing skills – developed.

I cannot think of another MD which has enjoyed so much success in so many venues, entirely in its natural state. You didn't need fancy photo editing, though. There was nothing artificial in Balnavia – you let us see exactly what you saw. And we liked what we saw so very much.

Of course, the good news is Clontarf. Even if it looks different than Balnavia, the playing skills will show through. And so will that wonderfully-irreverent Aussie sense of humor. So here's to another successful MD!

But Dave, how on Earth do you dream up names like Clontarf? I mean, really! We're going to have to have a serious talk about this. Report to my office...

Later...
Joan

threestooges

I'm sorry to hear that Dave. I went through a little spat of uncertain with Greenacre and GRV due to migrating things to a new computer, and even just the thought of potentially losing things was bad. However, I know Clontarf (I like the name) will have some amazing stuff in store. The region and MD name may have changed, but it's still the same author, so I know we're in for something good.
-Matt

Sciurus

It's very nice, I like the region overview, but if you could remove the city names, its should be nice :thumbsup:

Guillaume ;)
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Nardo69

Well, Dave, it has been some time since your holiday was over, wasn't it?

Sorry about your computer problems - had my (rather big) share of them, too  &mmm - but then again a new map bears new possibilities.

Clontarf - huh? Well, let's hope you'll hop to "D" like Donzdorf not too fast ...  :D

Take care my friend (and you didn't forget the backups, did you?)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Emperor Stormont

Oh very nice indeed, absolutely love the last few updates, some beautiful work Dave. Truly lovely....a Classic for all the right reasons.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Battlecat

Oh dear!  I'm so sorry to see this coming to an end!  You've done amazing work over the course of this project, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! 

Shadow Assassin

But Dave, how on Earth do you dream up names like Clontarf? I mean, really! We're going to have to have a serious talk about this. Report to my office...

Clontarf is a real suburb in Sydney... :p

Shame to hear your computer problems got the better of Balnavia. Hope you'll be back better than ever.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!