• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Problems wit IE file's

Started by luvs2draw, March 07, 2018, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvs2draw

Hello,
I am having Problems with files that are IE. I am running Windows 10 64 bit. I click on a file that has E with a gold line going around the E. I click on the file and it will bring up a window, that shows the file and ask's if you want to Open or Save the file. I select to open the file and it does nothing or it flashes and nothing. If I save the file it goes to my download folder and the file isn't any different. The file is a SC4LOT file.

Is there anyway to convert the file to something that will open the file? I've selected the open with option and what it list I don't want to change it to.

Any help would be appricated.

Andreas

Apparently, you accidentially linked the SC4Lot files with the Internet Explorer. Obviously, the IE doesn't know to handle such files, other than "downloading" them to your hard drive. Right-click on one of those files, select "Open with..." from the context menu and then "Select standard application" (or similar, not sure how it's called in your Windows).

You will get a list of suggested programs; in case you find one of the SC4 modding programs, pick that one, or select one via the "Browse..." button. I connected all my SC4 files with ilive's Reader, cause it is able to open all those, and show the "raw" content with all possibilities to edit those files. The Lot Editor would be another good solution, although I'm not entirely sure if it would open this lot that way.
Andreas

luvs2draw

Thank you Andreas for the reply. I didn't link IE to the files. Don't know how it happened. I noticed it this morning after downloading files from the CD's (downloaded the CD's) from STEX ( donated $50 and got 3 CD"s, I also Donated $25 to LEX) that some of the files are IE file's. I downloaded SFBT Garbage Shipping Yard from LEX and one file is a IE file but all the other files are normal. So I don't know how or when it might have happened.

Andreas

Well, the readme files are often HTML files, which would open in IE alright. Maybe you once accidentially clicked "open with", picking an SC4Lot file instead of the HTML one, and checked "Always open this file type with IE", or didn't notice that this option was checked by default.
Andreas

luvs2draw

Hello Andreas'

I finally figured out how to change the file association from IE download back to the normal file association. Now the file's show up as SC4Lot file. I followed the directions from this web site  http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-file-association-windows/ and it works great. Had to delete the .SC4Lot from the Registery Keys and while doing it I found where the IE Download had hijacked the file association of the .SC4Lot file. Now I can open a MOD and it will show the the Lot file normally. So if the problem comes up again you can direct them to this thread but they must not be afraid to work with the Registery Keys. If they fellow the direction's from the Web page it is real easy.