• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombardiere

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 18, 2017, 09:35:34 AM

Great model!! I hope you don't mind if one day I relot it and release it again. Such great building deserves a custom made lot texture.

I was thinking the same. I wonder if this could be turned into overhanging prop so that diagonal or FAR roads could hug its curves.  :P

Quote from: brick_mortimer on November 19, 2017, 12:35:35 PM

I missed a few updates ever since sc4devotion.com became a banned website at work and I couldn't do my daily "lunch-browse"  &mmm

Interesting as same happen to me in my workplace recently.   ???  May be some "protection" site has flagged this forum. Or may be my employer just found out that I spent too much time in the net.  ::)

brick_mortimer

Quote from: bombardiere on November 22, 2017, 07:48:48 AM...Interesting as same happen to me in my workplace recently.   ???  May be some "protection" site has flagged this forum. Or may be my employer just found out that I spent too much time in the net.  ::)
Well, at first I thought our security system was a bit slow and was reacting to the false positive last May (by symantec I think), so I checked with the local IT guy of our branch.

He said our security system blocks websites in two ways:
*Websites with certain "key words" of course, most of them related to 3 x's etc.
*Websites hosted on servers that are flagged as hosting dangerous sites.
This means that if the server of sc4devotion also hosts 1(!) site flagged as dangerous, all other sites on the same server are banned &mmm
Our IT guy thinks that's the case here.

All IT security policy comes from the head office and they can white-flagg blocked websites if they are 100% clean, but our IT guy doesn't think the main branch will white-flagg sc4devotion so I can browse during lunch :P
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Thanks everyone for the likes and replies.

Still working on an alternative for the ghastly in-game tourist trap. It's nearly ready for release; I'm just testing the modding.

But in the meantime was gathering source material for the Bauhaus in Dessau, when I came across an image from Bauhaus Mannheim...google will do that to you  &hlp. The building was such a tacky gropius-esque knock-off that I just couldn't resist and to think that upper floors behind the TV-style double glazing are actually a car park. It just boggles the mind ???, but I actually liked it once done.

Available here:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3554

Also, does anyone use the HSR....I'm thinking of doing a small rail to HSR transit hub/terminus, but despite the benefits, I'm not sure if anyone really uses that part of the network?

matias93

Oh, cool, another ugly building, beautifully made!  :laugh: Instant download, you know...
Quote from: mattb325 on November 24, 2017, 02:33:34 PMAlso, does anyone use the HSR....I'm thinking of doing a small rail to HSR transit hub/terminus, but despite the benefits, I'm not sure if anyone really uses that part of the network?
It sounds like a great idea, but I remember having read the NAM team planning on a more realistic version of the high speed override for the monorail. Maybe contact them to know the concept, or simply to make the model without fixed textures, to be overrideable by the ones on the new replacement. I remember that both Xannepan and MGB have worked with sidewalk textures on 3D objects, so it wouldn't be impossible to use the ones from the mod on elevated tracks, even using them as props added on the lotting process.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tyberius06

Wow Matt!

Thanks this gem. It's so nice.  &apls &apls &apls

I would like to see more urban-"ish" malls like this (I guess, I can call it that), we have a lot of strip malls, and suburban malls, but lack of proper urban malls.
Well, as many cities Budapest (Hungary) has a few of them. Maybe they give some inspiration?  ;) :)

1. Duna Plaza

2. WestEnd City Center (among the black lines - I know it has a quite extrame shape, but it could work as an overhanging plopable  ;))

3. Arena Plaza

4. Arkad and Sugar Malls

As the matter of HSR related question, I haven't started using any HSR/EHSR related transportation network because apart from one Ill Tonkso's HSR Terminus, there aren't any Terminus for HSR or EHSR system. The El-Rail type terminis can convert Monorail or Shinkasen High Speed Rail stations, but not really for HSR. So I would be more than happy if you or anyone could make one or MORE stations/terminus for HSR.

Thanks in advance!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Andreas

Lol, that "Bauhaus" is indeed wrong on so many levels, considering that Mannheim is also known as the "square city" for having a road grid like American cities in the city center, which is absolutely unique in Germany. Those "TV" windows apparently try to reflect this in the facade, on top of all other Bauhaus architecture rip-offs. :D

As for the HSR, I guess it actually didn't get a whole lot of attention due to the fact that HSR stations are virtually non-existant, so I bet something new into that direction would convince people to use it more often. I also remember some NAM project that is about to rework the HSR network, so that's surely something to take into consideration when you're designing your building.
Andreas

eggman121

Quote from: Andreas on November 24, 2017, 04:06:34 PM
As for the HSR, I guess it actually didn't get a whole lot of attention due to the fact that HSR stations are virtually non-existant, so I bet something new into that direction would convince people to use it more often. I also remember some NAM project that is about to rework the HSR network, so that's surely something to take into consideration when you're designing your building.

I am currently planning the new HSR or the RHSR for NAM 38. More details will be provided when major work gets underway. Maybe a RealRailway variant for the time being  :-\

-eggman121

mgb204

Great work on all these recent uploads Matt, can't wait to see what you're cooking up for the Tourist Trap.

It's always preferable when making something like a station to avoid baking in the network textures to the model. This will ensure it's flexible enough that any network of the same height could utilise it. For example if this is based at ground level you could easily re-lot/mod it for use with GLR/Rail of different styles and G-HSR. For the latter, take a look at this set by Coego, which contains everything needed for adding the G-HSR network into a lot.

Quote from: matias93 on November 24, 2017, 02:56:14 PM
It sounds like a great idea, but I remember having read the NAM team planning on a more realistic version of the high speed override for the monorail. Maybe contact them to know the concept, or simply to make the model without fixed textures, to be overrideable by the ones on the new replacement. I remember that both Xannepan and MGB have worked with sidewalk textures on 3D objects, so it wouldn't be impossible to use the ones from the mod on elevated tracks, even using them as props added on the lotting process.

For non-ground based networks, it's also possible to use the S3D props (included in the NAM), provided you leave space in the model for them. It does require a little customisation of the LODs to keep the space free, but it's really a small amount of work for a huge boost in flexibility. You'll find many of the stations in the NAM work this way, allowing re-use amongst the various elevated rail networks.

I know I use the HSR networks, even if many people ignore them. It is a little under-supported, but does have some pretty huge benefits. I am working on a diagonal G-HSR station myself too. Never hurts to have more options where stations are concerned either, so I say bring it on.

Seaman

Quote from: mattb325 on November 24, 2017, 02:33:34 PM
Also, does anyone use the HSR....I'm thinking of doing a small rail to HSR transit hub/terminus, but despite the benefits, I'm not sure if anyone really uses that part of the network?

In fact, I always planned to start using HSR since I really like to have a designated inter city rail network separated from the commuter RRW. But the low amount of stations and esp. transit hubs made it quite hard to get me on fire for it. The RRW/ElRail/HSR hub that comes along with the NAM is absolutely gorgeous, but I miss the flexibility smaller hubs would provide. e.g. 1x ground HSR + 1x or 2x ground RRW...

fantozzi

That Bauhaus building, must be roundabout 20km from were I live, I never noticed it. Most probably, when walking the streets there - to see the buildings and not only shop-windows, you'll have to bend your neck too much. So thank you very much - you turned it into something noticeable. And it's in my plugin folder now.

It's a great idear to do something about this maxis tourist trap to me always looking somewhat childish, infantile - like a joke told wrong and therefore not really funny.

But just to make a bad joke on my part - if you're doing a tourist trap, don't make the building too big but with a big parking lot, otherwise people may complain, they have to walk there.  :D (Remembers me of a friend of mine, we were standing at the central station in Rome and I felt tired after the long travel and suggested to take a taxi, he answered: "if you want to become familiar with a city, you have to walk throught it, you can't drive through it").

On train stations, there's someting I've been missing for years. Stations that can work as an x-connector. F.e. monorail/HSR coming from west to east and ground level rail coming north south. Well, maybe that's not or rarely the case in RL, but in game, at last to me, seems to be a usefull feature.

Thanks for the enrichment - you're not only doing great bats but also clever/usefull lots adding posibilites to the game. Like for example the golf course, making it modular gives more posibilites of use. So all this is not only looking wonderfull, it also adds sense to the game, supporting the players creativity in a broad way.

reddonquixote

Great choice of building, fits in well with SC4. Excellent work as always  &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

noahclem

That Bauhaus is quite the beast :D Love it!

I haven't been using HSR for both the look and lack of turns in the like but virtually always keep at least one RRW line in my regions that's intended to be HSR but waiting to function as such for the incredible revamp of it that Stephen has been working on and planning. Definitely stations would be nice! I would echo what's been suggested about not baking in the textures though.

Seaman

Quote from: fantozzi on November 26, 2017, 12:41:31 AM
On train stations, there's someting I've been missing for years. Stations that can work as an x-connector. F.e. monorail/HSR coming from west to east and ground level rail coming north south. Well, maybe that's not or rarely the case in RL, but in game, at last to me, seems to be a usefull feature.

I am really sorry, mattb325, for putting this in here:

@fantozzi: you might want to look at bripizzas multipurpose stations (there are 3 or 4 different styles). They are exactly what you described and work in a way, that you simply drag the (rail) network through you're needing.
link is here:

https://www.bripizza.net/sc4/285sta/285sta_c.html#285-0015

or here:

https://www.bripizza.net/sc4/2102_NamSta_bus/2102_NamSta.html

by the way: I've just seen that bripizza uploaded a new item in 2017. It's his first since 2013...

mattb325

I'm so pleased bripizza is making more stuff.
I absolutely LOVE the Japanese batters - they have been so unconstrained by the court of public opinion on the English-speaking forums (this is more a comment on historical context rather than what happens now with a small community) and they have been so incredibly creative as a result.

I rather like the mall pictures...you never know....one might appear soon  ;)

Anyway, I've been banging on about the Tourist Trap and it's ready.

Madame Tussauds in Hollywood.

The little complex next to the Chinese theatre has all of the hallmarks of a tourist trap: a cheezy waxworks museum; very large public forecourts for milling around; a starbucks coffee shop; a sunglass hut; a nothing over $5 shop and the ticket booking office for the hollywood bus tours that take you to the stars homes and other sight-seeing tours. In other words, all of it is a complete waste of time.  $%Grinno$%

Whenever I'm in LA I usually stay at one of the hotels up on N Highland - they're well priced and convenient to everything...and the amount of times I've waited for the airport shuttle at Madame Tussauds, or killed time at the starbucks/waxworks or even gone on the tour bus (especially on the final day of departure  where your check out time is 10am and your flight doesn't leave until that evening...you find yourself with all these suitcases AND lots of time to kill, so sitting on the bus and gawking at hollywood homes is suddenly very appealing).
Madame Tussauds has sadly been a place that has seen my $ reluctantly spent many times indeed.  &mmm

The building itself isn't too bad (certainly much better than the wooden Llama). Another one of these all crazy angled buildings for no apparent reason...it's a near 100% accurate recreation, however I have taken liberty with the roof area and placed tables and chairs. In real life, it's usually pretty empty.

Anyway, it's here and functions as an extra Tourist Trap for the game:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3557

Andreas

With all those odd angles, it must have been a PITA to BAT, but this doesn't only work as a "tourist trap", but serves nicely as some modern downtown cinema complex or something like that. Very refreshing to see after all those boxy buildings that the game usually offers. :)
Andreas

Badsim

Hi Matt ,

Very clever choice for a Tourist Trap , and great as eccentric as you can wish BAT , indeed  , no doubt it will become a Player Trap !  &apls Curiously , as French , I knew that name « Madame Tussaud » but never had the curiosity to learn more about it ...  ::) ( Now that's done , thanks to Wikipedia  ...  ;D )

Regarding your allusion about some members behavior , I know you had the temptation to stop everything ( I didn't find why/where/when ) and it would have been an inestimable loss for us all , please , never forget the old Bosnian  proverb that says : « The dogs may bark , but the caravan moves on ... »   :P

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Alan_Waters

Awesome! Matt does not cease to amaze. Soon in my city there will be only your lots, and it makes me very happy.
Bravo!!!  &apls &apls &apls

Simmer2

Matt, you never cease to amaze  &apls

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

Thanks guys.

Madame Tussauds wasn't as painful to model as the London Stock Exchange, but at this late stage (I've been doing this for 12 years), sometimes its nice to challenge yourself.....so here's another change of pace.

Quite a number of batters before me have started this one, and the model rarely gets much past the first stages. Lets hope mine is a little different:

metarvo

I had a good time going through a wax museum quite similar to this one once twice ( ;D ); you really get to experience life-sized history and fantasy this way, and it provides a little entertainment should you be rained out of any outdoor vacation activities.  The one I visited was in a particularly tourist-heavy historic downtown district with other museums and such nearby.

Enough reminiscing, though; you've done a fabulous job modeling this oddly-shaped masterpiece.  I think the additions to the roof really help to liven things up for a viewing audience who will be seeing the building from overhead in-game.  Great work, Matt!

&apls

As for your latest BAT, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all completing it.  It's looking good so far!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.