• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb325

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

@art128 - the 3dsmax is 2013 and it is simfoxes bat4max that I am using
@c.p. I think that's it - I'd actually forgotten the bump map all-together  $%Grinno$% and would always give roofing a very slight bump-map....

Anyway, I have got the station into the game - there are no night-lights (yet)

I'm quite pleased with it. It's substantial enough to make a nice sized impact without overwhelming a city tile.

Now all I have to do is remember what the transit values need to be for these sorts of stations and get the nightlights sorted  :P

Tarkus

Matt, this is amazing stuff.  The station looks amazing--especially like the roof texturing. :thumbsup:

-Alex

noahclem

Beautiful work indeed on that station! If the night lights turn out any where near as well as the textures have than this is exciting indeed. It's a bit late and you make a good point about its size making a nice impact without overwhelming a tile but imho it could be a little bit longer. Most smaller SC4 stations are relatively small compared to their RL counterparts however, so the current size would also have the advantage of matching them better. Again, it's really lovely to see you back at it  :thumbsup:

art128

Wonderful station, it really looks great. The level of details is incredible. I would add to Noah's suggestion, but only about the platforms.. Maybe extend them a few tiles after the station's cover? Of course in the end the choice is yours and I know how long the render for such a building is going to be.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

modeling and texturing looks really good  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

romualdillo

Wonderful work Matt!!  &apls

FrankU

A beautiful station and I think it is a very good addition to our list of stations.
I do think like noah and art that it would be nice to make the station a bit longer.

Simcoug

I'd say you picked up right where you left off, skill wise.  This looks fantastic!  It will certainly leap to the top of my favorite 'terminus' style stations... now I need to build up the towns infrastructure to support this beauty.   &apls  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Welcome back, always nice to see a new station in the works. You mentioned transit values, you can find the latest info on that here.

Dantes

Impressive work mattb325 I like the details A station of brick has a very special atmosphere.

SuperMessi

Looks very nice Matt. In my opinion, this is the type of station that blends in very naturally with any architectural style. I may be wrong, but I have that perception.

mattb325

Thanks for the comments!  :)

@mgb204 - thankyou for the link....I had that bookmarked but wasn't sure if anything more-up-to-date had been done since I last made a station.

In terms of size the lot is 9 tiles and the platforms take up about 6-6.5 of those tiles.
Given most trains are 6 cars long and one train car is approx. 18m in length (i.e. 108m for the train), the 6.5x16m of the platform (104m) will easily accommodate most 4 and 6 car trains....those arriving on an 8 car train will have to jump onto the tracks  :D $%Grinno$%

Here is the night shot - quite straightforward nightlighting with nothing too flashy.

While the station works in Vanilla mode, I'll need to test it with the NAM installed & in a few different tiles/cities which can take a week or two, so it will be a little while before it is released.

In the mean time, I whipped up a little clinic "T & A Health"  :P

This one should be available for release very shortly  ;)

art128

That little building is a beauty! Can't wait to put my hands on it. As for the station, I understand your reasoning and I agree with it. The night light is well done, but I thought it would get some more effects to it. But still nice nonetheless.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

seraf

I can't believe I didn't comment on this building! It looks great, very nice work  &apls The nightlights could be a bit less flashy but are still nice.

As for the "T & A Health" ... very 90's-ish ;)

compdude787

That's a nice looking clinic! It will be a good step up in size from the GooberGen clinic that I typically use in my cities.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Girafe

while I pretty like the lighting of the train station, I am not convinced by self illuminated windows of the clinic.

I find them too big to be lighted with this method.

But I love the day render and the idea of a small clinic, something that is drastically missing in the game  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mattb325

Quote from: Girafe on November 15, 2015, 02:41:47 AM
.....I am not convinced by self illuminated windows of the clinic.

I find them too big to be lighted with this method....

Fair enough, but I would say take a look at these pictures. I found these by typing 'night windows' into google.

Hotel window:

You can barely make out the creases of the curtains, just amorphous blobs of furniture behind it, but because they are not heavily lined, 'block-out' curtains, they are brightly illuminated.

Same is apparent in this photo, where the curtains are drawn:

Even in the modern offices, the areas with the opaque anti-glare blinds (about 3 rows down on the left-hand side) show just illuminated shapes:

Now, I've seen it as 'on trend' to model the interiors for a night shot, and that may work for large offices where the blinds are up and the offices are largely empty (yet lit), but it is actually unrealistic for smaller applications which tend to have curtains or venetian blinds which are closed when the lights are on.

Additionally, so many wonderful bats languish unfinished because of feeling the need to bat interior furniture, so I would always go for the self-illumination option first and foremost unless there is a very good reason to illuminate an interior (such as an atrium-style space or a piece of architecture that really calls for it).

But thankyou for your post - it is always good to have the option of exploring differing views  :)

reddonquixote

Quote from: mattb325 on November 15, 2015, 12:25:37 PM
Additionally, so many wonderful bats languish unfinished because of feeling the need to bat interior furniture

So true! Exactly what I was thinking  ;D Nightlights have an extreme irony attached to them... there's an intense demand for them to have 'perfect realism' but they are rarely actually used in-game  :D Absolutely nothing wrong with these nightlights in my opinion (that's my 2c worth anyway)

The train station is magnificent. It's great to have an old master back on the BATing scene  &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

manga rivotra

I love the clinic. It fits fully with a suburban environment.
And thanks for your houses too, a great addition to the game !  :thumbsup:

vortext

Great to see you back at it, the train station is a stunner!!  :o &apls &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana