• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

We could make it available. However, this would mean that we have to re-layout those roundabout interchanges, because they have a Maxis Highway base...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kuewr665

Kuewr665

About bridges... will the elevation of the road top for the bridges be MHW height or ground level as it is with RHW-4?

Indiana Joe

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 16, 2013, 05:50:25 PM
About bridges... will the elevation of the road top for the bridges be MHW height or ground level as it is with RHW-4?

Currently you use RHW-4 bridges.  There is a ploppable transition piece that allows you to connect Symphony with the bridges.

Kuewr665

Yeah, I do know about that. I mean, will the bridges to be converted be made for Symphony use or RHW-4?

Indiana Joe

There are no current plans to convert any bridges.  Bridges are a huge pain to make, and RHW-4 or Avenue bridges can be used.

Kuewr665

Ah, okay. Thanks; I was wondering about bridges. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening with them.

Drengs

Hi!
Well, while using this awesome mod, I found a couple of bugs.
First of all, sometimes the game just doesn't allow me to plop the L1-L2 or L0-L1 transition pieces at the right place. Only one tile away from where it would work. So I can't make the three level roundabout interchange.
And I can't use the two level either! Because the elevated highway simply doesn't connect to the prefad roundabout.
Anybody know how can I fix this?

Thank you very much, and congratulations for the great job!

noahclem

@ Drengs: Your problems sound like there is something wrong with your NAM--parts of an old version still in your plugins. Both of your problems work fine for me in the most recent publicly released NAM versions. You may want to "remodel" your plugins folder.

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 17, 2013, 08:12:08 AM
Ah, okay. Thanks; I was wondering about bridges. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening with them.

I'm also hoping for 15m elevated Symphony bridges. I've been scheming about doing it but my attention is divided a bit too many ways in the immediate future to tackle it myself soon. I'm with you in hoping some of the existing ground level ones can be converted to elevated versions  :thumbsup:

Indiana Joe

Quote from: Drengs on November 20, 2013, 12:08:35 PM
Hi!
Well, while using this awesome mod, I found a couple of bugs.
First of all, sometimes the game just doesn't allow me to plop the L1-L2 or L0-L1 transition pieces at the right place. Only one tile away from where it would work. So I can't make the three level roundabout interchange.
And I can't use the two level either! Because the elevated highway simply doesn't connect to the prefad roundabout.
Anybody know how can I fix this?

Thank you very much, and congratulations for the great job!

First of all, make sure you're running NAM 31.2.  There were plenty of bugs with new features in 31.0 and .1.  Otherwise, try placing the height transitions first, and then drag the highway through, and lastly placing the roundabout.

Quote from: noahclem on November 20, 2013, 02:26:17 PM
I'm also hoping for 15m elevated Symphony bridges. I've been scheming about doing it but my attention is divided a bit too many ways in the immediate future to tackle it myself soon. I'm with you in hoping some of the existing ground level ones can be converted to elevated versions  :thumbsup:

Try using the 15m RHW-4 bridge.  I'm pretty sure there's a two-way compact one.

bman7

I'm having trouble connecting the pre-fab roundabouts to the MIS ramp transition pieces. It won't let me place the pieces in the right direction, it will only let me place them perpendicular to the roundabout exit/entrance. I can place them in the right direction if they are one tile off, but as far as I can tell there's no way to connect it to the roundabout like that.

Edit: I didn't see the posts above for some reason; I'm having the same problem as Drengs. I completely cleared out my plugins before installing NAM since it was a while since I last played.
Edit 2: It works fine on a completely flat map, but the terrain I was trying it on before is very flat. :/

dyoungyn

I agree that it would be great to see the T-Interchange piece making it capable to merge with RHW6S i.e. the ramp that goes from RHW6S - RHW2.

I love the piece as it is compact but it really restricts me to only use wither Maxis Highway or RH2. 

dyoungyn

Pioneer

Pioneer

Will there be a symphony version of the interchange on the far right?

Indiana Joe

Quote from: Pioneer on December 16, 2013, 01:32:31 PM
Are there any plans to make elevated symphony bridges?

Eventually I'm sure.

Quote from: Pioneer on February 28, 2014, 04:47:15 PM

Will there be a symphony version of the interchange on the far right?

Apparently you can't directly link Simtropolis images anymore, but there won't be any more prefab interchanges.  They are one of the most difficult items to make.

Tilarium

First, not trying to criticize the project or diminish it.  I think the work is brilliant and wonderful but there was always something about it I didn't like and so I kept using the older highways but I could never put my finger on it.  Until now.  I was driving home from work this morning and it hit me.  It's the lack of on/off ramps.  Having to build every single on/off ramp using the pieces and sometimes having them acting on and not placing how I want them.  I like having easy on/off ramps I can just plop down and be done with it and having the option to build my own ramp if the mood strikes me. 

Now, I haven't played SC4 in a long while, not sense the NAM version that first included the project.  It might have changed sense then, I don't know.  I'm saying this because it finally hit me why I didn't like the project and as a suggestion for the future.

jdenm8

While we appreciate the suggestion, it's not within the scope of the Mod.

Project Symphony, when I started it, had three goals and I don't know if I've ever written these down.

• Update the built-in highways to the realistic RHW specifications
  • Remove some of the tedium from Ultra-Urban RHW construction
  • Take the network flexibility above and beyond anything that could have ever been accomplished with the base networks by integrating the RHW's MIS

We added some re-makes of existing and some new prefabricated interchanges (Namely, the T-Bone and Roundabout Interchanges) to aid the second point. The goal was not to so-called 'prefabricate the RHW', mostly because it's complex and pointless to do. In the time it takes to make a single prefabricated Diamond Interchange, we could have extended the MIS, and the pre-existing modular functionality, with up to three new pieces. Then it will need to be replicated for the two other networks (Avenue and OWR) in the game that have base crossing compatibility. Not to mention that only a subset of our members can even extend Symphony to begin with.

Another bonus of the system is that it can be extended to include Intersections with Tram networks with little hassle and can be done in minutes. Integrating that into a Prefabricated system would take days.

Sorry if that's a little incoherent, it's 3am here and I kinda want to get to bed  :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

a_muses

Okay, I have a dumb question that has probably been answered elsewhere: how on earth do I get the on/off-ramps to connect to my road underneath? I've got the ramps coming down properly from L2 to L0, but then they just sit next to my road, and I can't drag the road onto the onramp. What did I miss?
I never could get the hang of signatures....

Tarkus

If you're using the old "static" transitions (the 4-tile-long L0-to-L2 ones), you'll need to ensure you aren't using the "starterless" version, and that there's at least one tile between the transition itself and the crossing road, so that there's room for the starter.  You'll get stuck with the starterless one if there's any slight slope variance.

A better option would be to use the FLEX Height Transitions (FLEX-HT) out of the RHW system.  There's a 4-tile L0-to-L1 and a 7-tile L0-to-L2.  These are much more slope tolerant, and you can drag out the ends without a starter, even if the ramp ends right before the crossing road you want to intersect.

-Alex

a_muses

Quote from: Tarkus on August 02, 2014, 01:34:29 PM
If you're using the old "static" transitions (the 4-tile-long L0-to-L2 ones), you'll need to ensure you aren't using the "starterless" version, and that there's at least one tile between the transition itself and the crossing road, so that there's room for the starter.  You'll get stuck with the starterless one if there's any slight slope variance.

A better option would be to use the FLEX Height Transitions (FLEX-HT).  There's a 4-tile L0-to-L1 and a 7-tile L0-to-L2.  These are much more slope tolerant, and you can drag out the ends without a starter, even if the ramp ends right before the crossing road you want to intersect.

-Alex

I'm using the version that came with the recent Mac NAM installer. Here's a picture:

And here's the menu that I've got for Project Symphony:

I don't see a FLEX-HT in my menu. Do you mean to use the RHW flex ramps instead?

And is there a tutorial thread I should check out?
I never could get the hang of signatures....