• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Quote from: catty on November 27, 2012, 02:21:02 AM

I have removed the previous post in this topic, I would like to remind people that being dis-respectfulness to other people on this site will not be tolerated.

catty
Global Moderator

Its sad that things like this have to happen. 

Sure I am upset that I have to narrow down RHW to an RHW-4 for bridges, but I am grateful that I can at least connect them to a ground level MHW to build a bridge so at least the Bridge has 3 lanes.  Sure not having to narrow down would be great, but I also understand that it will be time before that is possible and completely understand.  I wish many users would grasp the concept that people are doing this on their free time, and at any time, they could simply stop and all work they did could be lost at any time as well, and negative comments could make some go "over the cliff" so to speak.

MandelSoft

^^ Well, there are always the new dual RHW-6S bridges that come with the new NAM. Also, there will be RHW-6S, 8S and 10S (single-sided) available in the next NAM, so the amount of narrowing down bridges will be limited.

I'm not happy that a moderator had to intervene in this situation, though it still makes me curious what the actual message was (even when it was offensive directed to me. I have moderator experience over at ST and I know how to handle these things mentally. Aw well, I'm just a curious person after all)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 27, 2012, 04:39:12 AM
I'm not happy that a moderator had to intervene in this situation, though it still makes me curious what the actual message was

It really wasn't relevant to NAM dev in general. (And no, it wasn't for you, either.)

Back on topic... You think the talk about tunnels and bridges is worth including into the FAQ?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

sunv123

That makes me curiuos, for the 8s and 10s bridges, will they be made using MHW? If so, how will they be one wayed? %confuso

I have so many questions about this. $%Grinno$%
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: sunv123 on November 27, 2012, 04:55:27 AM
That makes me curiuos, for the 8s and 10s bridges, will they be made using MHW? If so, how will they be one wayed?

It's more of an RHW-related question, but yes. You drag them the same way you would do with an RHW-4 or OWR bridge: In the direction you want it to go in.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 27, 2012, 04:52:38 AM
Back on topic... You think the talk about tunnels and bridges is worth including into the FAQ?
Yes, I'll do that ASAP.

EDIT: Done!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

sim_link

Love the look of the MHW tunnels under Project Symphony. Nice work! :)

TEG24601

I'm really enjoying the ideas behind this project.  One question though, has there been any testing on Macs?  I'm curious, since there are some NAM components that are not Intel Mac compatible, and I would love to know that this has been tested and will work on my machine.

TEG

pieman101

Quote from: TEG24601 on November 27, 2012, 10:43:55 AM
I'm really enjoying the ideas behind this project.  One question though, has there been any testing on Macs?  I'm curious, since there are some NAM components that are not Intel Mac compatible, and I would love to know that this has been tested and will work on my machine.

TEG

I to am a mac user and all I can say right now is wait and see. and if it isn't mac compatable there is always file juicer
Derrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!!!!!  i post cuz i want to

mike3775

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 27, 2012, 04:39:12 AM
^^ Well, there are always the new dual RHW-6S bridges that come with the new NAM. Also, there will be RHW-6S, 8S and 10S (single-sided) available in the next NAM, so the amount of narrowing down bridges will be limited.

I'm not happy that a moderator had to intervene in this situation, though it still makes me curious what the actual message was (even when it was offensive directed to me. I have moderator experience over at ST and I know how to handle these things mentally. Aw well, I'm just a curious person after all)

Cool, I must have missed the post where that was mentioned. 

But yeah, I am excited for this project to be released because this is something that will make the game so much better, blending the two forms of highways.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 27, 2012, 09:00:31 AM
Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 27, 2012, 04:52:38 AM
Yes, I'll do that ASAP.

EDIT: Done!

Speaking of bridges (yeah yeah :p) - is the default plain Maxis HW bridge (the true 3d one) still getting overridden for Symphony?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

packersfan

NAM Team refuses to stop impressing me.  Sad how things like this can be developed in people's free-time but can't be developed for an actual out of the box game.  You guys are geniuses.  Looking forward to playing with this.

TEG24601

Quote from: pieman101 on November 27, 2012, 11:34:05 AM

TEG

I to am a mac user and all I can say right now is wait and see. and if it isn't mac compatable there is always file juicer
I was more concerned with it running.  Some NAM components cause SC4 to die when running on Lion and Mountain Lion, and I am hoping that this will not be one of them.

TEG

jdenm8

One question though, has there been any testing on Macs?

No. Nobody active on the NAM Team plays the MacOS version of SC4 since none of the modding programs work on Apple Computers out of the box.

Then there's the fact that...

I've read that the Aspyr port is just plain bonkers expensive considering its age.

You'll always have the optimal experience on the Windows version since it's the most stable version and the one that all the modding software is written to run with. Not to mention that it's the version we use the most.

EDIT: Corrected post in light of Tarkus' post.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

To my knowledge, there are a couple semi-active NAMites that do actually use Macs (memo and Jonathan), but they do all their SC4 stuff on a separate Windows computer, or run the Windows version on dual-boot.  GoaSkin was also a Mac user back in the day, and AFAIK, the only NAM Team member who's run the Aspyr port while being active--if he were around, he'd probably get to the bottom of it, but alas, he hasn't been on the site in 2½ years.

Because of the lack of modding tools on the Mac side, it does complicate the testing a great deal.  And the issues that have been reported (CTDs from the High ElRail/Monorail Plugins and the Bridge Controller) are just strange.  We've never figured out where to even begin.  The only vague possibility that's been hinted at is that there's something with  the High ElRail/Monorail models that Intel Macs on post-Rosetta MacOS don't like, but that doesn't really explain the Bridge Controller. 

-Alex

TEG24601

Quote from: Tarkus on November 27, 2012, 11:40:43 PM
To my knowledge, there are a couple semi-active NAMites that do actually use Macs (memo and Jonathan), but they do all their SC4 stuff on a separate Windows computer, or run the Windows version on dual-boot.  GoaSkin was also a Mac user back in the day, and AFAIK, the only NAM Team member who's run the Aspyr port while being active--if he were around, he'd probably get to the bottom of it, but alas, he hasn't been on the site in 2½ years.

Because of the lack of modding tools on the Mac side, it does complicate the testing a great deal.  And the issues that have been reported (CTDs from the High ElRail/Monorail Plugins and the Bridge Controller) are just strange.  We've never figured out where to even begin.  The only vague possibility that's been hinted at is that there's something with  the High ElRail/Monorail models that Intel Macs on post-Rosetta MacOS don't like, but that doesn't really explain the Bridge Controller. 

-Alex
Thanks for the info Alex.  I always thought that the Controller and High Rails had to do with endianess (as that is really the only difference between the x86 and PPC chips, likely conflicting IDs for the systems.  In any case, it gives me another excuse to work on getting Crossover working with SC4, as the new issue, is that on Mountain Lion, you can't play more than about 20-30 minutes before the application hangs and you have to force quit.

Again thanks for the info, looks like I have some work to do.

TEG

Meastro444

I love it! &apls

How will this integrate with the flups pieces? %confuso
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

jdenm8

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Gugu3

jdenm8 that is realy nice!!!very nice city and of course Highway :thumbsup:but do I see a piece of MHW in the bottom right interchange???Problems with revamped MHW over mis?
anyway great job again

MTT9

You can call me Matt