• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reform

I have to admit that I am very excited about this project.

One question did come to my mind, related to CO Cap relief. Is Symphony going to use RHW or MHW relief values, when neighbour connection is created?

While I am on the subject, does RHW still have 1000 as it's relief value, or was that number raised at some point? I took that number from Ensyclopaedia and I don't remember reading it was changed.

Thank you for working with this project. It is greatly appreciated.

- Ilja

teddyrised

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 20, 2012, 03:57:35 PM
Quote from: teddyrised on November 20, 2012, 03:29:20 PM
More importantly, it's now possible to create RHW tunnels (sort of) with the remodelled maxis highway tunnels.

It's still considered impossible since you're still using another network's tunnels.

My bad. What I really meant is that, with the development of Project Symphony, we can create visually-unified RHW networks with RHW-looking tunnels, that don't require an awkward visual transition to an avenue/MHW tunnel :)

ivo_su

Lord Maarten photos are phenomenal and I thank you with all my heart for them. Tunnels and T-junctions will have tremendous application and effect. That was the thing that always lack the RHW, just maybe the splitter to the AVE-4 can be partially repaired.
Your work is just divine, perfect and I'm proud of you. When you have more pictures do not hesitate to share them with us again.

Haljackey

MandelSoft's stream from earlier today shows Project Symphony in action.

Gotta say I'm impressed with the amount of stability this mod has even in its infancy. It also seems transition well to other networks.

Link to the video: http://www.twitch.tv/mandelsoft/b/341898799

Wiimeiser

Draggable smooth curves? Infinity panel? And it's too quiet, I can't hear a thing.

Draggable FAR? You found a workaround? That blows my FlexFAR out of existence!

EDIT2: What retaining walls are those?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Patricius Maximus

With all of these new features, I'm warming to Project Symphony more so than I was.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 20, 2012, 03:57:35 PM
Quote from: teddyrised on November 20, 2012, 03:29:20 PM
More importantly, it's now possible to create RHW tunnels (sort of) with the remodelled maxis highway tunnels.

It's still considered impossible since you're still using another network's tunnels.

Technically yes. However, we will "sort of" have RHW tunnels, in that we will have functioning tunnels with RHW textures.

Gugu3

Saw your live Maarten!!!!very very nice...excited about the idea of hyaving far draggable roads!!!and of course about project simphony!!!just one thing I was thinking about...is some bridge model for this network going to be released?I know we can use the RHW4 compact suspension bridge but that's a nice bridge if you have to cross a big river...if you have a small river to cross that kind of bridge looks a bit without meaning(why a compact suspension bridge to cross such a small river??!! ::))
anyway great work!!!!
cheers
Gugu3

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Patricius Maximus on November 22, 2012, 04:44:57 AM
Technically yes. However, we will "sort of" have RHW tunnels, in that we will have functioning tunnels with RHW textures.

Still no.

One, it's considered absolutely impossible for RHW to have its own tunnels, and two, even if it did have its own tunnels, it's impossible to override them so that there's a draggable RHW tunnel for every network.

What I'm saying is that it's impossible to have RHW tunnels in the sense that you're thinking, simply because there's far too many networks and not enough base networks whose tunnels we can "borrow".

In other words, that's a dual RHW-4 tunnel. What about MIS? 6S? 8C? Those would need a funny workaround.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

noahclem

Great stuff again  &apls  Do EMHW tunnels exist? If so it would be great to have them modded into an RHW-looking texture with 6 lanes, not elevated. Along with a simple transition to RHW-6 that would add great tunnel functionality. I won't get into the apparently sensitive issue of whether that would be an RHW-ish tunnel  :D

PS: could someone confirm that monorail tunnels are possible but that el-rail, ANT, and street tunnels are not?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: noahclem on November 22, 2012, 01:55:57 PM
Do EMHW tunnels exist?

PS: could someone confirm that monorail tunnels are possible but that el-rail, ANT, and street tunnels are not?

EMHW tunnels exist, but they're meant for EMHW.

Plus, there are also Monorail tunnels, but no ELR, ANT, or street tunnels, or rather, no way to make them work without doing anything illegal.
<INACTIVE>
-----

noahclem

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 22, 2012, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: noahclem on November 22, 2012, 01:55:57 PM
Do EMHW tunnels exist?

EMHW tunnels exist, but they're meant for EMHW.

Plus, there are also Monorail tunnels, but no ELR, ANT, or street tunnels, or rather, no way to make them work without doing anything illegal.

Thanks Ganaram. I must say that it's hard to understand the purpose of an elevated network tunnel. Because of the real limitations the game imposes on tunnels it seems to make a lot more sense to commandeer the EMHW tunnel to a more important use. It seems to me like modding the tunnel entrance height, tunnel entrance paths, and tunnel entrance model could make it work fine for anything else we wanted it to work for--possibly even a two-tile, one-way "RHW" (yes, it would technically be an EMHW rather than an RHW). My personal opinion is that RHW-6 would have more use than, for example, twin RHW-10 tunnels. On the other hand, OWR-3 tunnels can function as slower, lower capacity workarounds for RHW-6 tunnels, though placing them adjacent to each other with traffic flowing opposite directions doesn't work*.

*Adjacent tunnels seem to need to be drawn from the same direction which I tried to get around by making the OWR-3 tunnels have bidirectional paths. It seemed to work but for some reason sims couldn't commute through it.

Haljackey

Remember the base SC4 didn't have ground highways, so if you wanted to make a tunnel for highway it had to be for the elevated highway.

Maxis left them in when Rush Hour came out, and also added a tunnel for the ground highway.

Elevated rail doesn't require a tunnel as you can just transition it to subway, that's why they were never included.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on November 22, 2012, 06:15:14 PM
Elevated rail doesn't require a tunnel as you can just transition it to subway, that's why they were never included.

I always found that to be quite obnoxious, since it's not a true network transition. In other words, it requires a transit-enabled lot connecting two completely different networks. Plus, I'm more for tunnels that are flush with whatever you're ploughing through with a tunnel.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 22, 2012, 01:02:18 PM
Quote from: Patricius Maximus on November 22, 2012, 04:44:57 AM

Still no.

One, it's considered absolutely impossible for RHW to have its own tunnels, and two, even if it did have its own tunnels, it's impossible to override them so that there's a draggable RHW tunnel for every network.

What I'm saying is that it's impossible to have RHW tunnels in the sense that you're thinking, simply because there's far too many networks and not enough base networks whose tunnels we can "borrow".

In other words, that's a dual RHW-4 tunnel. What about MIS? 6S? 8C? Those would need a funny workaround.

Visually, it is a dual RHW-4 tunnel - if there was an actual dual RHW-4 tunnel, it would look very similar, and this tunnel is functional. So in other words it's functional eyecandy. Technically, you are right - it is not an RHW tunnel, and it cannot be expanded to the other RHW networks. However, it does look like a RHW tunnel. It is quite obvious that the tunnel is:

1) Functional
2) Has RHW textures and an RHW appearance (dual RHW-4 in this case)

That's what I'm trying to tell you.

Gugu3

so technically you can't speak even of RHW bridges...since as far as I know the new models are all MHW based bridges,right?

jdenm8

RHW bridges for single-tile networks (Like MIS, RHW-2, RHW-3, RHW-4 and RHW-6S) are perfectly possible. They just needed to be made.

Bridges for dual-tile networks (Like RHW-8S and RHW-10S) are MHW bridges that are pathed like and look like the dual-tile network. The same is true for RHW-4 and RHW-6S compact bridges.

Anything wider is impossible to build as a bridge.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Blue Lightning

Uh, yes, but if you read you'll notice its for RHW-4. The readme and the thread link both explain how to use such a bridge.

The way it works is that we have a nifty little override that converts the RHW-MHWY transition tile next to NULL into RHW (of whatever type) next to NULL.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Durfsurn

Epic modding from epic people eh? So will the ERHW networks get bridges too? (Going off topic i know)

Lach77

Nice work on the tunnel but is there anyway it can be converted to a RHW-6 using only 2 tiles and then perhaps a puzzle piece to convert to a RHW-6C/S? I'd love to be able to get my hands on a wider, 6 lane higher capacity highway tunnel instead of just being stuck with 4 lane tunnels.