• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catty

Quote from: vortext on May 15, 2014, 08:36:26 AM
...Something I'd be interested to see develop. Perhaps you should start a page indeed. .   ;) :thumbsup:

I'd second it   :thumbsup:
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

cosmopolitan

Well, after following this forum for quite a while now, I thought it was time for me to be an actual member of it. So, hello everyone!

This is the city I'm currently working on. It doesn't have the stark realism and crazy skills that are showcased in your projects but I've been inspired by you  ;D

vortext

You might want to consider using a slope mod, in addition to a terrain & water mod. Those things help to increase the level of realism. That said, you already have lots of custom content which makes for a pretty decent city!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

cosmopolitan

Quote from: vortext on May 16, 2014, 08:19:32 AM
You might want to consider using a slope mod, in addition to a terrain & water mod. Those things help to increase the level of realism. That said, you already have lots of custom content which makes for a pretty decent city!  :thumbsup:

Yeah I don't know why I've never thought of that. Will certainly check some out. Thanks!

Varnado

This may not strictly be a current project, since I finished it today, but check out my city of Kings Cross, Yakutat Bay. I broke ground on it today and got it into its current, just about finished state in only about two and a half to three hours. There's still a fair bit of work to do, namely expanding the town into the two forested areas immediately west of the urban fringe or using the area for parkland and widening the coastal highway into a fully grade separated 4-6 lane freeway, both however are tasks that I don't plan to take on until the region is far more extensively developed than it is currently.

Kings Cross city center:

Secluded beach houses:

The rural exurbs:

City tile overview:

I also created an MD-style Imgur album of these screenshots for Reddit, check that out if you're interested in reading a little more commentary. And on top of that, I chronicled building this city from the ground up in a 1 hour 45 minute video miniseries. Make sure to give that a look too if you enjoy watching SC4 gameplay commentary videos.
Check out my YouTube channel for dozens of hours of high quality SimCity 4 content and new videos uploaded regularly.

PlaneCrash12000

What 6 months of hard work and dedication look like. (Not 100% complete yet though.)  :)

FrankU

@ Varnado and @ PlaneCrash12000,

Impressive both of you!

A nice rural grid area, but with these small irregularities that makes it look like a real world grid, instead of a computer game grid.

And this huge region! Only 6 months? You must have a lot of spare time!

jonas_chaves

My last personal project, by LotEditor.
WTC Station - New Plymouth

carlfatal

I wasn´t active here since a long time, and yes, it is a shame, if I look to the different threads and artworks here. But I have to admit, I left the game. My interest in townplanning is simple framework, and eventually I found some program, that matches my way to play. It is EA too, it is the CreateAWorld-Tool, a program like the SC4Terraformer with a lot more abilities in a sandbox-like way.

I hope, I do not break any rules if I show you two pictures of my current project, nothing finished, only work in progress, stills from a small town. Till now the most houses only are facades, and the level of detail here is at a starting point. But after years I found, what I was looking for...

Some houses near the market place:

A view into the old jewish lane:

Damn, it IS SimCity although it doesn´t look like. Where else than here on SC4D do we speak about townplanning? Where else can I find someone, who is interested in projects like this? So please forgive me...   &ops

noahclem

Cool projects guys! CreateAWorld looks quite interesting, though I've never had any interest in the Sims. I like how detailed a townscape you were able to create in it.

I've been messing around with terrain mod settings and textures recently.

The thing that's been the hardest for me to figure out is shorelines. Beaches can stand out way too much and appear to often but minimizing them leads to very jagged diagonal shorelines, particularly with low transparency settings. The deep sea floor texture can play a significant effect and steeper shorelines will be influenced by the cliff texture as well. In my picture the sea floor texture, which is what is showing up mostly on the shorelines due to some tweaked settings and terraforming, has been changed to a dirt texture from Gobias' Berner Oberland TM that normally appears at higher elevations. The beach is Gobias' Cape Cod with the textures made more brown. I've also given the rock mod (the stock one from the BOTM) a browner tone to help it stand out less in general and to blend with coastal textures in particular. The water is Gobias' Mississippi, modified only to not include seafloor textures. I've been digging around in the core of the terrain mod and am finally getting a fairly good idea of how it works. I plan to do more messing around with that and explore a couple ideas  :D

carlfatal

Noah, thanks for your nice comment, and that is a really nice picture. The rocks look unbelievable realistic. And the water is perfect for a region with a moderate clima. And yes, I see the "glitch". Sadly I have no solution, no idea, And to be honest: I really would like to know more about texturing, but I am a stupid idiot with every program, where you can edit pictures and graphics.  %wrd

Today I will show you a last shot of my work, a finished version of my last picture. If someone is interested, you can always visit my thread in the SimForum. There I will show the forthcoming of this small region. Funny is, that i use a map, that is like a SimCity4 small tile in a region. The same sizes in both games. And I always can import any greyscale.  :thumbsup:

But here the picture. I would really like to open a region portrait but it is the wrong game...  ;)

Nonetheless I will look in here from time to time, so seeya!  :)

vortext

That looks really, really neat carlfatal:thumbsup:

How does that game / tool work: is there a simulator underneath as well or purely a sandbox / town editor? And is there any chance you might be able to convert those house so we can use them in SC4?!  :D

Anyway, my current project: simple mouse-over areas in flash (upper right & lower left corner to be exact. Please let me know if it doesn't work in your browser.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/od4ywjexi51lnzf/mockup.swf

First time ever working with actionscript. It doesn't amount to much yet but function before form, right?! If everything goes well you'll see it implemented soon enough.  $%#Ninj2

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

carlfatal

I think I can imagine, what you can do with this script. Funny to see this working in SimCity pics, maybe some before/later while you drive over the picture with your mouse... right?

And I am working with an editor only atm. Sculpting the landscape, laying out streets, building the houses and placing environmental objects - everything I do with this program. The next step is cleaning the so called world-file from unneeded informations (like all EA products, sims 3 likes to corrupt it´s own files). Then I have to put in all you need to play with this town, and after this it will be a playable town for the Sims 3 game.
The houses are built ingame. The windows, doors, everything aside textures are models like houses or props in SC4. The Sims community calls models "meshes", that is the only difference here. And so there is no chance to convert houses into SC4 model files sadly.
But on the other side, every house here has an inside, is furnitured and can be used as a home if you like to play this "world", how Sims 3 players call their "regions".
For me, who loves to plan a town AND buildings, I have to admit: Sims 3 and it´s modding tools currently are the best solution, the golden apple so to say.  ;)

cikofte1

evening in Los Angeles

Resized your pictures. Please keep in mind the limit on this website is 1024pixels wide, thank you. - Arthur/moderator

ユミーちゃん

This is a part of a Japanese city I am currently working on: Mie (みえ). I will have more updates for this in the future. 

Nanami

Nce work everyone!

well this is my attempt to make old capital of Nakahara, Mikawa (三河市):

(sorry for that zot)

belfastsocrates

I'm normally setting out grand city squares and parks/gardens but I've started to develop a new part of the capital of Perseus and it's going to be the location of one of the main train maintenance, washing and research depots for Perseus Rail. It's a different sort of project for me, so I'm still learning.

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

FrankU

@ Belfastscorates,

A beautiful hig-tech railwaylot. Wasn't the BAT of the buildings originally meant for airports? Good use!
Maybe a bit too much light poles.

deora

Man,i`m so jealous of everyones decorating,planning and citybuilding skills.
Currently i`m working on a project where i want to build/recreate my very orn version of a well known city.This city was the environment of many many movies (old and new),it is best known for it`s skyscrapers and the fact that this city never sleeps.You will also need a knife,a fork,a bottle and a cork to spell this city.
I guess most of you already guessed it.I want to build my very own New York,especially Manhattan and also a few of the outer boroughs.
Currently i`m in a very early state which includes the exhausting task of dragging the street grid.The Avenues are pretty easy to drag because they go from top to bottom (well,almost.)The streets from left to right are the annoying part.But it has to be done.
Unfortunenately it`s very easy to distract me and i start to go through my Landmarks Menu and plop the Landmarks.I always have my smartphone on my desk with an opened Googel Maps App,nerdy right?
Luckily the street grid is very reliable and i can easily count how many blocks i need to count from one location to the spot where the Landmark needs to be placed.
So,the first early pre production prototype shoty of my street grid:

Regionview with Buildings,if you look close,you can already see some landmarks

The grid

One of the many spots where the streets cross the vast and huge land also known as Central Park.It`s also a nifty little hiding spot for water pumps

Not sure what i was thinking here.This is thew spot where the famous Broadway shifts a bit aside at Broadway/W 86th Street.I guess i better straight this one up...

Again it`s "distracted by Landmarks"-Time.The home of the famous penguins :D
I better go and find another small Zoo.

The natural historic Museum in New York.Again i had to use a Maxis Building.It may be slightly too small but i tried to hide that with lush green surroundings

The next step after dragging the streets is placing some bus and subway stations around the city because in some areas you won`t see the streets because of the highrisers.
There are two things of which i`m a bit scared.One thing is the Central Park with it`s sheer size and another thing is the Broadway,especially the part where it goes from straight to angled.
Did someone ever made a tru size Manhattan RP so i can get a bit of inspiration?

cmdp123789

First of all, I wanna say its a big project! I always like people going for things like this. Now, I saw the map, and it is no rocket science that you are not using the best map available currently. There is a map made by Izidor44 that is actually better scaled. Of course it has its limitations when it comes to simcity, but it is better than the one I just saw.

Second, there is a thread in simtropolis you might find inspirational and maybe useful for your recreation, it is in the NYBT section.

Third, what terrain mod are you using? I like how it looks, but maybe we could give it a better "color" to fit best for the area...

All in all, its not bad, and I like it, but of course it is always good to see other people's work to find inspiration and maybe sort things out.