• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

c.p.'s mapping adventures

Started by c.p., February 10, 2009, 11:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c.p.

I guess it's about time I started a thread here.  ::)  Eventually, I'll probably start another thread for some tree stuff I've been working on, but for now I'll start this thread for maps.

I just finished a bunch of maps that I'm going to release in 5 packs.  Most of them are based on real-life places, but have hand-terraformed coasts with beaches, rocky headlands, etc.  Other maps are more or less straight from real-life.
I thought it would be useful to post some decent-sized pictures here, rather than to rely on the tiny pictures in the LEX.

All maps require SC4Mapper 2013 https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2880 (by Wouanagaine).

Pack 1  (get it here)

Two Dot (based on the Two Dot, Montana area) - 7 x 5 large cities:

Pishkun Shores (based on an area near Augusta, Montana) - 3.5 x 5 large cities:

Redwood Shores: (based on an area east of Tacoma, Washington) - 3.25 x 3.5 large cities:

Prineville: (based on an area near Prineville, Oregon) - 4.5 x 3.75 large cities:

March, 2019: So I updated CP Map Pack 1 today with up-to-date .SC4M files (more compatible with SC4 Mapper 2013).  I also included a topo map of each of the regions, for printing out, or for whatever use people might have for them. Here are some reduced versions of the topo maps (the ones included in the upload are larger resolution):

Pishkun Shores:

Prineville:

Redwood Shores:

Twodot:

Pat

Hey CP wow this awesome some maps from you!!! They are looking real great as far as I can see!!!  you will be doing more trees that is soo cool and I know a certian dignatary from a certian region of the three area will love it I bet  as well &hlp

good to see you back at CP,

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Rayden

Nice work Brian, can't wait to see what's next under your sleeve ;)

c.p.

Thanks Pat and Silvio :)

Here's the next pack  (get it here)

Pack 2

Camden (mostly real-life map of Camden, Maine) - 2.75 x 3.75 large cities:

Hillsmere Shores (mostly RL map of the Hillsmere Shores area, south of Annapolis, Maryland) 2.75 x 2.75 large cities:

Port Stroudsburg (based on the Delaware Gap, at the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border) 2.5 x 4 large cities:

Binghampton: (real-life map of Binghampton, NY) - 5x5 large cities:

March 19, 2019: I updated CP Map Pack 2 today with up-to-date .SC4M files (more compatible with SC4 Mapper 2013).  I also made a topographic map for each of the regions, for printing out or whatever, and included it with the upload.

Binghamton:

Camden:

Hillsmere Shores:

Port Stroudsburg:

Pat

Brian wow those new maps are sweet!! I love the close up on the one with the shore line of Camden..

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Heblem

Great job! I do really like your new maps!  :thumbsup: just for curiosity, what terrain mods are you using?  ;D

c.p.

Thanks Pat (again!) and Heblem :)

In answer to Heblem's question:

Twodot uses an altered version of the Italia Terrain Mod, (called the PtReyes version).  Eventually, I'll be updating all my terrain mods, and when I do, I'll try to remember to include the PtReyes version in with the Italia Terrain Mod.

Pishkun Shores and Prineville use an unreleased (and unfinished) terrain mod, called the Sage Hills Terrain Mod.  I have some work to do with rock models before I can release that mod.

Redwood Shores uses the Italia Terrain Mod, along with one of dogfight's rock mods.

Camden, Hillsmere Shores, and Port Stroudsburg use the Meadowshire Terrain Mod.  Hillsmere Shores uses an altered version that lowers the snow level dramatically, so that it's just above the highest hill on that particular map.  Port Stroudsburg uses the rock textures that come with the Italia Terrain mod, and one of dogfight's rock mods (which I may have altered - I don't remember)

Binghampton uses the Columbus Terrain Mod

JoeST

Hey CP, your map "Pishkun Shores" made me want to play the game again... if only it worked on this pc *shakes fist*

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Earth quake

Wow, C.P, nice map, I really like the Camden and the Binghampton.  &apls
Excellent work.

Rayden

Yah, really nice work indeed, but, I'm really curious to try up your new terrain mods :thumbsup:

BigSlark

Excellent maps! Would you mind if some photos of Prineville "in use" slipped a bit early?  ;)

Cheers,
Kevin

c.p.

Thanks Joe, Earth Quake, Silvio, and Kevin ;D

Kevin: of course I don't mind.  I'm very curious to see pictures of any of these maps in use.

This next set of maps are based on areas located in the southeast quadrant of the United States (more or less).
Pack 1 was based on locations in the northwestern U.S.  Pack 2 was based on locations in the northeastern U.S.  Pack 4 will be based on locations in the southwestern U.S.

Pack 3  (get it here)

Booneport (based on the Daniel Boone Memorial Forest area, between Jefferson City and St. Louis, Missouri) 2.5 x 3 large cities:

Ida Bay (based on the Sims, Arkansas area) - 3 x 3.5 large cities:

Nashville Shores (based on Nashville, Tennessee) - 4.5 x 5.5 large cities:
I notice that Troy (blade2k5) uploaded a Nashville map a couple days ago as well (you can download Troy's map here ).  His is the realistic version.  Mine is the extreme global warming version, in which the ocean is lapping at the steps of the Tennessee state capitol. ::)

Cordelia (based on the Craig, Colorado area) - 3.25 x 3 large cities:

March 19, 2019: I updated CP Map Pack 3 today with up-to-date .SC4M files (more compatible with SC4 Mapper 2013).  I also included a topographic map for each of the regions, for printing out or whatever.

Booneport:

Cordelia:

Mt Ida Bay:

Nashville Shores:

Heblem

Awesome, i love the Nashville Shores map, want me to play on it  :)

Also can wait for the Sage Hills Terrain Mod   ;)

Ennedi

Good to see you with your new creations Brian  :)

Great maps, I like the Pack 1 very much, but next two packs looks very good too. Coastlines screenshots look very natural, I suppose they were hand-terraformed?
I'm really excited hearing about your new trees!

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

sim-al2

Um... the people of Central Tenessee might be chasing after you if your predication comes true. However, the Nashville Shores map does look like a really good map to build on.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Earth quake

Humm..... Nice work on your map, I particualrity like Nashville Shores. &apls
Anyway here a splendid pack of maps.  &apls

blade2k5

Hey there old friend, you may remember me from Freeland a few years ago.  I went under the handle Scatterbones :thumbsup:  Anyways, I love your take on your real world/fantasy maps.  Beskhu3epnm and I dabbled with that just before besk had to take his indefinite leave of absence early last year.  Now that I'm busy mapping the world and put my fantasy map making on the back burner, it's nice to see someone mixing the real with a little fantasy.  I also look forward to your Sage terrain mod :thumbsup:

Oh, and thanks for the plug on papab2000s and my Nashville map ;D

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

pvarcoe

These are really good looking maps.
I look forward to any new tree mods and terrain mods.
I never tire of playing and experimenting with them.
Thanks for the new work!

deathtopumpkins

Wow, these are some of the best maps I've seen! But one problem... I was going to check them all out in-game, and when I go to open the "HillsmereShores" one it said "A problem occured while reading the region. Maybe it is too large for your RAM." I know that's not the case. Then terraformer freezes up and will I have to end it with the task manager. Oh, and the config is still 11x11, so it should match up.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

c.p.

Thanks Heblem, Adam, sim-al2, Earth Quake, Troy, pvarcoe, and Deathtopumkins!  :thumbsup:

Adam: Yes, the coastlines were hand-terraformed.  The hills and mountains are from DEM data.

sim-al2: Why would they chase after me?  I mean Al Gore is the one who invented global warming.  (Oh, wait that was the internet.  Never mind.)

Troy: yes I remember, and thanks for stopping by!

deathtopumpkins: make sure you have Wouanagaine's recent SC4Mapper patch installed (there is a link to it in the first post.)

Pack 4:   (get it here)

Callville (based on a portion of the Lake Mead shoreline, Nevada) 3.25 x 3 large cities:

Capitol River: (based on an area near Capitol Reef National Park, Utah) - 2.5 x 2.5 large cities:

Sequoia Point: (based on an area near Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park, California) - 5.5 x 5 large cities:
Warning: The mountains on this map are extremely large.  If you decide to use this map, you will need to be careful when choosing terrain mods.  The maximum elevtion on this map is 4199m.  Many terrain mods will not allow terrain this high.  The only terrain mods I know of that will work with this map without modification are: Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert and Heblem's terrain mods (available on the STEX).
If you want to use any other terrain mods with this map (including the default Maxis terrain), you need to download and install Ennedi's High Altitude Patch, which will allow elevations up to 5000m with all terrain mods (and the default Maxis terrain).

The Maze (portion of Canyonlands National Park, Utah) - 4.5 x 4.5 large cities:
Lots of cliffs and canyons in this map.

March 19, 2019: I updated CP Map Pack 4 today with up-to-date .SC4M files (more compatible with SC4 Mapper 2013).  I also included a topographic map for each of the regions, for printing out or whatever.

Callville:

Capitol River:

Sequoia Point:

The Maze:

detail: