• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

Well, the internal documentation simply says "Income gained for each tile".  That's why I said simoleons per tile per month.  But looking at what the actual income is for various travel types, that's nowhere near enough.  Instead, it must be simoleons per Sim per tile per month.  This makes sense, as this actually represents fares for public transit.  The income may go up when you demolish one bridge because the Sims have to take a longer route, via the other bridge, and since they're paying by tile, that's more income.  When you demolish both bridges, though, the train won't take the Sims where they want to go, so they abandon it, and the income from the train drops to zero.

As for the five million commuters, I'm afraid I can't help you there.  If you're running CAM, I suggest you ask the CAM people for help on that one.

dragonshardz

Incidentally, modifying that property in the Reader makes for an easy way to get cash.

ramseyazad

Z man, you always seem to have a sensible answer.  Thanks!

patchlyon

Hi everybody !

First of all, I don't feel very 'easy' with English ! So my first wish, just before receiving an answer, is that you could be patient and understand me !

I used to play SimSity 3000 at a time, and got SimCity 4 Deluxe a couple of years ago. I liked very much playing till some time I felt it really annoying to make many tries just to get a road cross a railroad in the proximity of a monorail or any other network...
This plus the fact I had seen for much too long the same buildings, the same trees, the same roads, etc... made me put the game away... Maybe just like many of you I suppose.
And a while ago, I read by pure chance about Simcity 4 and "the NAM", when looking for something else on the net!!!

So, thanks a lot to all of you, who make this site (and others, like Simtropolis) live further and help keeping renewed interest and pleasure with SimCity...

I'd really like to take a part in development, but I think I've got much to do just to get basics about BAT building, Lot editing, modding and so on, before I can produce any kind of interesting work... Even if it is my job to develop tools all day long... I guess it's in ways very different here ! And I feel as if I had missed a war (or a number of battles at least!)...

Now ! After those introduction words... I've got a little problem !
I spent a few hours reading and searching (maybe put wrong words...), I read entire threads here, on Simtropolis site, other French sites... and found nothing ! So, either I'm blind, eventually totally stupid (I'm openminded and accept every possibility...  ?=mad)=), or that little problem, which I thought quite known and banal, has just chosen me to get in view!

what I did:
I downloaded NAM (march 2009) as well as latest RHW,SAM, additional bridges, HSRP, etc... and installed in this order (carefully selecting options according to all I have read here and there on the subject):
NAM
RHW
SAM
Additional Bridges
HSRP
El-rail facelift mod
Single Track Rail
NAM Rural Roads Plugin
NAM Essentials

I tried different tools with evident pleasure !!!
I couldn't open certain old cities without provoking a game crash, but some others did function... But this doesn't matter, even if I'd like to understand...
What I did not remark at first, is this:

The captures are not quite good... sorry !
The two upper images show a little test without NAM (I moved plugin content to another folder). As you can see, junctions look quite normal and traffic goes both ways from residence zone to commercial and industrial ones!
The two next images show the same test (city saved and reloaded with NAM back in plugin folder), and as you can see, one of the paths has been broken and the junction appears graphically incomplete, although a little better for ground railroad, where the junction is almost complete. Interesting detail: the already plotted railroad junction didn't suffer... while on the new plotted one, a little part is missing.
The other part of the problem is that all transit disappeared on the missing path... it doesn't appear on the images, but all transit to industrial zone has been transfered to commercial zone in a few days.

Any idea or explanation about this ?

It's not blocking, as it's possible to redraw the missing path a tile further... it's just a bit visually unsatisfying and takes a little more room... but room is sometimes precious !

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

It was decided the path that is removed was unrealistic on the rail network, so it was removed just last NAM update. And Then the monorail and El-Rail ones were removed as well. Although I've noticed a few times were it's not fully removed though and we probably need to double check it.

Also your English is very good, much better than my French ;)

Jonathan

patchlyon

Thanks for your answer, Jonathan !

It's ok then ! More satisfying if it is on purpose ! Never pleasant to get bugs or other abnormal things to resolve !

I's not very clear on the images, but the 'supporting part' of the missing path remains visible, I assume you're talking about that when you say  you've noticed a few times it's not fully removed ?
In my tests, it's systematically not fully removed, maybe something to look closer for next release ?
I have really no idea of how you can change all this material...... but you've got my respect and admiration (if you say so in English) !

Talking about my English, thanks for comment ! I hope it's easier for you to read it, even if not quite correct, than for me to write it ...  :)

Thanks again !

vlad755

If I understand the previous post, the rail junctions have been purposefully modified.  For example, without the NAM, I am able to draw the following railroad loop:

Then with the NAM loaded, I draw the railroad loop and it appears as thus:

Notice how it appears the junction tiles are off kilter?  And in UDI mode, only a few of the train switches appear so in effect, one cannot make a U-turn like before (one can essentially go from one side of the loop to the other, not around it if you understand what I am saying)  You are saying this is on purpose?  Not a "bug" but a "design feature"?  BTW, My plugin folder is almost completely empty, except for the NAM so I do not believe there is a plugin conflict.  Any advice, confirmation or guidance is most appreciated, thanks!

sithlrd98

A number of the switches were not re-done by David (Dedgren) and are possibly(I think) slated to be commented out. Check out this link for more info.Game Default Texture Reference

Jayson

vlad755

Thanks for the heads up.

I checked the link which was a listing of what appears to be railroad tiles or textures.  Some of them did have a comment of along the lines of "commented out".  Any chance I can uncomment them out so that they are back in?

I guess what you are saying is that I can no longer create a relatively tight railroad loop which means I will have to re-think my railroad designs when I take UDI into account (the loops were good to place on either side of stations which aided in the getting around in a rather quick fashion on the UDI missions to unlock rewards)...?

z

Yep, that's a weird bug, for sure.

How did you do that?  ???

Amtrak7

deathtopumpkins

So don't drag over an avenue intersection with the road tool. There, bug solved. ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Gaston

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 25, 2009, 02:51:10 PM
So don't drag over an avenue intersection with the road tool. There, bug solved. ;)

Dang I wish I had thought of that.     &dance    LOL
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

nerdly_dood

That's happened to me too, and redragging with avenue doesn't fix it so I have to bulldoze it and do it over again.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

heitomat

Quote from: PLT on May 09, 2009, 11:35:06 AM
Hi all,

Is it possible to get rid of the gras patch under the road-over-avenue puzzle piece, and get a concrete texture underneath?
I'm talking about this piece:

Thanks,
Pat

Quoting and asking the same as Pat, on page 59: Are there any road texture fixes for the NAM road overpasses? I think there is a similar fix for rail overpasses (for users of PEG's Alternate Railway MOD) on the STEX.

It seems like Pat's using a concrete sidewalk mod. For me, the standard Maxis sidewalk texture will do. But is it doable, or even: is it done?
Be gentle with me - I'm Norwegian

greenbelt

This is a newbie question regarding RHW.  the RHW section only has tutorials so I didn't want to post this there.  Here's the picture

I did something wrong here.  I was trying to follow Haljackey's diamond interchanges tutorial. 

Thanks for helping me out on this.
EDIT:  I re-read the tutorial and I guess my problem is...Where do I find the "ground to elevated MIS" piece?
EDIT2:  Played around with this some more...tabbing through the RHW starter pieces didn't help.  I posted another (different) picture on last page of Haljackey's tutorial.
I have re-read the ReadMe and downloaded the latest RHW, NAM etc.  still can't find the piece I need.

carkid1998

The piece you're looking for is the ground to elevated transition. It can be found in the RHW transition puzzle pieces menu.

Hope that helps!
Sendona... Coming soon!

heitomat

Answering Pat's question, as well as my own: I found that the latest Euro Road Texture mod fixes the problem, given that the correct sidewalk plugin is selected during installation. The latest ERTM is found in the LEX.
Be gentle with me - I'm Norwegian