• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starmanw402007

Thanks for those updates Alex, and Keep up The Great Work.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;

Shadow Assassin

I'm more inclined to go with a RHW-6C or RHW-8C setup (accounting for the exits - which adds 2 tiles on both sides, giving a grand total of 7 tiles).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rickmastfan67

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 21, 2007, 05:38:38 PM
Compressed.

In this case, however, it means Compact. RHW6C means it's RHW-6 Compact (3 tiles), RHW8C: RHW-8 Compact (3 tiles). There's also the S (standard) networks: RHW6-S is 4 tiles wide, and the same for RHW8-S. That should clear it up.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dragonshardz

compressed or compact, it means that the highway takes up less space. anyway, back to the original subject.

NASCAR_Guy

Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

Tarkus

Quote from: NASCAR_Guy on August 23, 2007, 07:19:45 AM
Tarkus,you there? ;)

Indeed I am, NASCAR_Guy.  Just really heavily delayed--RL and heavy-duty modding. ;)  Plus, my laptop decided to randomly power down and play dead while I was attempting to post this update (while it was plugged into the wall, no less).  My sincere apologies, and thanks for your continued support during the hiatus.  But Tarkusian Cities is back, with a blast from the past--an update from Argentum, as promised.  For those of you who don't remember it, Argentum was the city/region I showcased in my first ever MD (which still sits in the Completed MD section, if you're curious).  It was somewhat of a transitional region for me, and it's still rather rough.  But I spent so much time with it that I'm rather attached to it still, so this will likely be the first of many "Argentum Revisited" updates, in which I'll be smoothing out the edges, so to speak.  (And trust me, there were edges. ;))  Think of it as a sort of tutorial for revitalizing one's older SC4 projects with new custom content.

Our first trip back to Argentum will examine the construction on the Caldera Lane bypass, particularly on its interchange with Barnaby Drive, the infamous "drunk engineer" interchange, as our friend sebes called it.  Rather fitting, don't you think?

Here's a map of the immediate area surrounding the interchange.

Fortunately, the crazy folks who thought that one up have been fired from the city's Public Works department, and their successors have begun the unenviable (and time-consuming) task of redesigning the Caldera Lane bypass.  The bridges, with their "ski ramp"-style approaches, had to be demolished.

Next, some surrounding roads have begun to be re-aligned. 

And a map of the current status of realignment:

There were several reasons why this particular realignment was chosen.  Barnaby Drive was essentially a residential street, while Skill Street is a thoroughfare with a posted speed limit of 35mph.  The new alignment diverts heavy traffic away from neighborhoods, onto a road built for higher speed and volume.  Furthermore, the new alignment is much more direct, rather than the windy mess that the Barnaby alignment took.

And one last little pic to share.  Another sneak peek at the "mystery highway" site in Wakeman:

Yes, that's a TLA-5. ;)

Now, finally onto comments:

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Hope you enjoyed the flashback there.  Thanks for the compliments on the mosaic, and I can't stop using those NAM curves.  I can assure you you'll be seeing plenty more. ;)  I've also got interesting things planned for that freeway . . .

mightygoose:  It is indeed quite suspicious.  I can tell you the main part of the freeway won't be taking up all seven tiles, but I do have some interesting ways of filling them planned . . .

Pat (patfirefghtr):  Yes, me and my evil plans for freeway domination. ()flamdev()  Glad you're enjoying the suspense of the "mystery highway"--there's plenty more to come . . .

dragonshardz:  Good guess, but I can tell you it won't be six lanes per direction . . . but I can't let on much more than that.  The Highway 24 project is top secret . . . and hopefully this update answered your questions about Argentum.  And the construction lots are from the SFBT set by deejay, which can be found over on the STEX (direct link).  You'll also need to make sure you're registered over at Gizmo's SC4 Mods site, as one of the dependencies is over there (there should be a link to it from the STEX link I provided). 

Ryan (filasimo):  Yes, I do have a tendency to go a little overboard with teasing. ::)  What can I say?  As Bill Weberwould say, "I kid because I care." :P

bat:  Thanks for the compliments!  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the last update, and hopefully this one was to your liking as well.

DFire870:  Thanks!  I can't wait either.  I still have some RULs to write before it's ready, though.

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks--glad to hear you enjoyed the construction.  And you are quite close in terms of the layout of the "mystery highway". ;)  There will be a rather elaborate MIS setup involved, as well as one other really big surprise (which I've hinted at, but not shown in the RHW thread).

Joan (Jmouse):  Glad to be back, and many thanks for your encouraging comments and support. :)  It really means a lot to me.  Hope this update was to your liking. 

sebes:  Yes, the insane intersection is back, and it will feature prominently in several future updates as well.  ;)  Thanks for your continued support as well! :thumbsup:

Dave (tooheys):  Thanks for the compliments on the road building.  This region has been really great practice--there's very little flat land.  But it's been a lot of fun. ;)

Steven (starmanw402007):  Thanks--I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.  If you're curious about the NWM, you'll be getting 10-lane highways through the RHW, and at least 7 lanes for surface streets, with the TLA-7.

Allan (allan_kuan1992):  Another good guess.  I can tell you it will come as a total shock when you do see it.  And the median will be neither small nor wide. ;)  Thanks for the compliment as well!

nedalezz:  It's been a lot of fun doing the whole construction thing, so I'm really glad to hear you enjoy it.  Thanks!

Shadow Assassin:  Yet another excellent guess.  The ramps are going to take up a fair amount of room, and you're on the right track in terms of numbers of lanes.  It will be configured quite radically, though. ;)

I'll be back with more quite soon.  Much sooner than last time. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

bat

Jmouse

As mentioned earlier, I'm not well versed in the mysteries of transport networks, but I'm sure yours will eventually make sense to me. BTW, I do enjoy seeing how networks perform in game play, though, so I'll be watching how yours works out.

Until next time...
Joan

Filasimo

that last pic is utterly sick just utterly sick u had to tease us with TLA-5 cant wait to see more of where ur going with this!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Pat

Ditto what Ryan said Alex that is by far the meanist tease yet lol... Overall i loved the update and im glad to see you updating again... Of course i cant wait for more of Tarkusian Cities and anther Argentum Pt 2... - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

OUTSTANDING!

Glad to see you're back here, Alex! I love the new aligning of the old interchange--Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Take care,

Dustin

dragonshardz

well tarkus my guess was a guess. and yes, my ?'s about Argentum have been answered.

Starmanw402007

Hi Tarkus, I'm seeing some great looking cities of Sim Nation. Keep Up the great work.

Your Friend;
Your Friend;

Schulmanator

This is a fine update. I like seeing the transit under development. You have some good stuff here. I am eager for more when you can!  :)
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back in the swing of things.  Yes, two updates in a week.  Hard to believe, I know. :D

This update, we're going back to Wakeman to take a look at a few new things going on. 

Since I'll be referring to a lot of specific street names, if you're interested in following along, here's linkage back to the most recent edition of the Wakeman city map.

First of all, South Gilmour Street has become possibly the most traversed east-west route through the city, connecting the rest of town to the retail commercial and high-tech area along South 22nd Avenue.  As such, it's over capacity and in need of improvement.  Namely, widening and realignment. 

Here's an overview shot, looking west toward 22nd.

Construction begins on the western portion, near South 20th Avenue.
(Looking south)

Those homes you saw in the last shot were in the path of the wider Gilmour Street, and unfortunately, had to be removed. 
(Looking east)

And do you remember the South 11th Avenue project? 

(Looking north, with the Wakeman Blvd intersection on the bottom)

Public works has made some significant progress--more of which you'll see later.  This is at 11th and Giles, just north of the Wakeman Blvd intersection.

That does it for this update.  Now for replies:

bat:  Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the maps--being a total mapgeek, I can't resist it.
Joan (Jmouse):  The trick I've generally learned in unraveling the transit networks is that following RL designs for layouts tends to work quite well.  There's actually a number of vague similarities between Wakeman and Ellensburg, Washington on that front [linkie].  That was probably the main inspiration in terms of the starting point for the road layout--they're not carbon copies by any means, but there are some similarities.  I've also modified the Traffic Simulator Exemplar to be more in-line with RL values--at some point, I may have to show everyone my Traffic Data View and other related graphs, if there's interest.  Hope that clears up some mystery, and I'm curious to see where the networks end up myself. ;)

Ryan (filasimo):  Yes, I did have to tease everyone with the TLA-5.  Repeatedly. :D  Rest assured, I have interesting things planned . . .

Pat (patfirefghtr):  Thanks; glad you enjoyed the update!  I really am rather mean with the teasing.  I guess I have a reputation to live up to. :D  Just wait until the NWM is ready for release.  It'll be like the June NAM all over again.  Argentum will probably resurface within the next couple of updates. 

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the feedback on the interchange realignment. There's plenty of wackiness with the transit system in Argentum, so that whole bypass is pretty much going to get torn up.  Glad to see you're not "disappeared" anymore as well.

dragonshardz:  Well, thanks for guessing, and I'm glad I was able to answer your questions.  Also glad to see you're "undisappeared" now.

Steven (Starman2402007):  Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it, and I will certainly try to keep it up. ;)

Schulmanator:  Thanks for the compliments, and I hope you enjoyed this update.  It's good to get back in the swing of things.  There will be plenty more transit next update. ;) 

-Alex (Tarkus)

bat