• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slope City

Started by jeronij, November 29, 2006, 09:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Hello dear SC4 Devotion members,

It is time to play a little bit again. Rayced asked for a tutorial about building credibly on sloped areas ( a hill side for instance) . Instead making a tutorial, I will develope an experimental city which I´ll call "Slope City" from now on.

For those members interested in following somehow the ideas shown in this city, I have uploaded my TunnelandSlope Mod version to the site´s "exchange" for your downloading pleasure  ( or pain, not sure  ;D ) .  You MUST have it installed if you want to have only a moderarte amount of problems while creating your sloped cities  ::) !!!

OK, enough :blahblah: and lets go for with the first pics.

SC_01  This is a quickly terraformed testing city I created some time ago for other purposes, but the layout makes it quite challenging to build a city on it

SC_02 A frontal view

SC_03 The start point is this corner. As you can see, some previous building area  terraforming has been done.

SC_04 As usual, different points of view give a better idea about the overall situation.

SC_05 And still another rotation....

SC_06 Finally a close up, with the grid intentionally turned on, so you can see better the "tridimensionality".

This time you can also follow the "tutorial" from this point. I want to invite to the interested members to download this city, at this point of development, and the Slope mod mentioned before, so you can try what is proposed here in your computers.

You can find the city in the exchange section. I am not sure how this may work in other computers so I suggest you to create a blank new region and import that city in a BIG city tile. SLOPE CITY

Last NAM's version installed and running is needed. There are some trees also which you may see as boxes. if this is the case, simlply bulldoze the boxes. We dont need them for this experiment  ;D

I hope you find the idea interesting  :satisfied:

EDIT: Since the exchange has no downloads counter, let me know if someone is interested by posting a word here  :-[
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Alfred.Jones

That is awesome Jeronij. Im not going to download it yet, because i'm on a different computer, but it looks amazing, i cannot wait ;D

Sim City 4 Devotion

TheTeaCat

Sign me up for this ::)

gonna have to try this see how it develops :D

great idea :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rayced

IT's a great challenge Jeronij, and thanks a lot for being interested in what i've requested. I hope that this will be useful for other sc4 players.

bat

Very Fantastic work! I like this idea!

jeronij

Hi to all, I am glad that some of you find this idea interesting... I´ll start to play a bit and make some pics so you can try how this works  ;)

Btw, I guess some of you did download the city tile... how about importing it ?¿. Some problems ?¿

I am using Cycledogg`s painted desert mod..... (a custom version in fact), so if you have water level problems, just let me know. I will post the necessary terrain parameters file if necessary.

Interested in the challenge keep an eye in this topic  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

metasmurf

So you've made a jagged edge fix for the painted dessert train mod ? :) That would be sweet if you uploaded it!

jeronij

Hi again,

It is time for the second chapter in this history  ;)

After the massive pre terraforming, including most of the networks to do it (street, road and railroad), it is time to bulldoze all this stuff, and let the main transit layout show up.

SC_02_01 Here you can see where to start bulldozing.

SC_02_02 After some carefully work, this area should look like this:

SC_02_03  Now we go for the rest of the zone...

SC_02_04 As you can notice, we only leave the main arteries

SC_02_05 Now it is also time to deal with the main intersections.

SC_02_06 This one was quite easy to complete.

SC_02_07 And this area is ready.

SC_02_08 Time to continue with more work. We want to change some of those roads to streets ( I LOVE the street side mod !!!)

SC_02_09 The idea is to leave the last road tile as a mark. After you have layed the streets, you have to remove the single road tiles and replace them with streets.

SC_02_10 This area is completed. You may also notice the different spaces between the streets. It is important to keep this in mind when you create your network layout. This will limit the type of buildings you will be able to develop later.

SC_02_11 Time to finish this other intersection.

SC_02_12 Avoiding traffic lights is always a good idea. Roundabout are a good solution for key intersections, and allow to connect many different transit networks.

SC_02_13 OK. Ready for the next chapter ?¿

I hope you want to follow this experiment  :thumbsup:

metasmurf, nope my friend, I did not made a jagged edges mod for this terrain. I only added some snow  ;D !!!

I hope you can keep the development  :P

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Alfred.Jones

This is looking awesome Jeronij. Cannot wait to see more development

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

Fantastic update! Also cannot wait to see more!!!

jacqulina

wonderfull work i love it :thumbsup:

NikNik

Very nice work, Jeronij.  &apls

I just how the area looked in the first place.

Nik-Nik

Masochist

Nice tutorial, Jeronij!

&sly *Hmmm...so that's his secret.  Great, we're one step closer to revealing the secret to his sucess...*  &sly
(Under Construction)

Owen Luby

Yay! Thanks for sharing this with us! I was always very interested in how you made those perfect slopes!
I want SC4 back!!

Rayden

Great job. I'm anxious to see what it will come up from those slopes ;)

beskhu3epnm

I've actually been using a similar technique for quite some time using your slope mod. The thing is, you actually do it much better than me, as I typically only build on flat land.

Your building style actually makes it possible to easily play on some of the more difficult terrains out there. Awesome work, man!!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

Your technique has been very handy to me.
Thank you :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven't said this earlier in here &mmm

:satisfied:

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

moganite

I do something similar with those terrains however I do it while the game is running and without cheats. That means I only do small sections at a time, I did the sanfran  that came with the game like that. That is a cool terrain for the tutorial

I am a bit of a purist though, I dont like alter anything too much when it comes to something like playing the game ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Heblem
jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ Vandy
wouanagaine

jplumbley

This looks really cool!!  I wish I was patient enough to do that.  My problem is I have so many projects on the go I dont have time to play the game of late.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

keithsed

Great technique!

Are you playing by what David D. calls the "Sandbox mode?"  He started 3RR with a 1,ooo,ooo,ooo simolens in the bank and I just wondered if you started Slope City the same way.

If you're going to do a lot of texturing and beautification you almost always need that kind of $$.

Keith