• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGAIO

In fact I was even thinking of something a little more three-dimensional realism.

watch in full screen to understand better  -  https://youtu.be/4D6Tcaa1lgw

watch in full screen to understand better  -  https://youtu.be/udqhnJ54JuY

vortext

Wait, WAIT! You made the actual water surface move in 3D!?! Or what's going on here. In any case, it's pretty ingenious. I have this suspicion the day is near we'll be able to construct proper, functional canals with ingame water!  :thumbsup:

Also, thank you Diggis! I love your sets and use them a lot! Narrow streams with grassbanks are still on my wishlist as well.  ;) If you want I could lend a hand lotting and modding.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

NCGAIO

Quote from: vortext on January 25, 2013, 10:32:36 AM

Wait, WAIT! You made the actual water surface move in 3D!?! Or what's going on here.

....In any case, it's pretty ingenius.

Sorry buddy ... not quite understand what you mean by that.!

vortext

Quote from: NCGAIO on January 25, 2013, 10:42:08 AM
Quote from: vortext on January 25, 2013, 10:32:36 AM
Wait, WAIT! You made the actual water surface move in 3D!?! Or what's going on here.

....In any case, it's pretty ingenius.

Sorry buddy ... not quite understand what you mean by that.! %confuso

In any case the answer is yes .. this is a  S3D real model plan for simulation of water flow.
Sorry for that. And I misspelled as well.  &ops In any case; ingenious  "$Deal"$ It roughly translates as being totally awesome!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

NCGAIO

:) Ok! ... thanks for the ingenious!

greg0418

Hi

I've been trying to get this mod to work for hours. I've installed and re-installed everything relevant listed in this thread, but no matter what I do I can't get the ferry traffic to show up.

Does anyone have any idea why it isn't showing? The only traffic I've managed to see is a few buses that look like they're under water, and they only appeared for a second.

This is very frustrating. If anyone could offer some advice I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

greg0418

also, when I try to "u-drive" the canal ferry, it randomly appears in the ocean rather than on the canal and just dissappears before I can actually drive it. I don't know if that gives any hints into what is causing the problem I mentioned in the above post

vortext

Quote from: greg0418 on March 30, 2013, 12:29:19 PM
Hi

I've been trying to get this mod to work for hours. I've installed and re-installed everything relevant listed in this thread, but no matter what I do I can't get the ferry traffic to show up.

Does anyone have any idea why it isn't showing? The only traffic I've managed to see is a few buses that look like they're under water, and they only appeared for a second.

Hi there greg0418, welcome to SC4D !  :)

First of all the Can-Am actually is a bus based transit system and intended for use on (flat) land. Hence you'll not get any ferry traffic.

To make the system work, first lay down roads with the road tool. Then select the Can-Am piece from the miscellaneous traffic menu and plop it on top of the road - this ensures UDI functionality. Use stations so sims can use the canals to travel to work or ship freight and finally plop some ordinary canal pieces alongside to finish up your canals!

Hope this helpes!
time flies like a bird

greg0418

Thanks very much for your reply. I was able to get the sims to actually use the terminals, but no ferry traffic is showing.

If you look in the first post of this thread you can see a gif of the ferry traffic. Am I missing something?

thanks

vortext

Quote from: greg0418 on March 30, 2013, 12:54:38 PM
I was able to get the sims to actually use the terminals, but no ferry traffic is showing.

Could it be the game display options are set to low? In the graphic options menu '# of Cars/Sims' needs to be set to high. Also, the automata are a bit fickle. On some stretches I'll get none while on other parts automata spawn like crazy. Not sure why that is. .
time flies like a bird

greg0418

yea, I put the number of cars/sims to high, I have quite a few terminals, cant seem to get any automata.

The only time I see anything in the canals is when I drive by them in a police car with the sirens on, then I see buses running to the side of the canal like they would on a road when a police car with sirens is near

vortext

Well, that sounds odd indeed. Could you perhaps post a screenshot of that situation? It may assist in diagnosing what's wrong.
time flies like a bird

greg0418

Sure, here's a screenshot of the buses in the canal "pulling over" as I drive by in a police van.

NCGAIO

First make sure you have installed all the way before completing sides or they will have to do it in an absolutely flat ground!

If you have already downloaded the seasons freight and passengers that generate automata then try to put them near the curves they tend to spawn more. &mmm

And always good to remember that automatons are tricks here. Boat of passengers are models for bus and  cargo barge are truck models  so that to continue being seen after spawning and need traffic for them.

greg0418

Quote from: NCGAIO on March 31, 2013, 09:33:33 AM

First make sure you have installed all the way before completing sides or they will have to do it in an absolutely flat ground!

If you have already downloaded the seasons freight and passengers that generate automata then try to put them near the curves they tend to spawn more. &mmm

And always good to remember that automatons are tricks here. Boat of passengers are models for bus and  cargo barge are truck models  so that to continue being seen after spawning and need traffic for them.

Yea, I have like 10k sims using the canal system now, and I finally got a single boat to spawn. At least I know its possible now. I still don't get why there aren't more. I have plenty of terminals on the corner of canals, but only 1 boat that drives around. This mod would be so much better with the traffic I've seen in other pics.

NCGAIO

You could increase the number of automata spawning  in each station for more but even it does not solve the problem disappear with time.

These automata are added to the game (not replacement) and to appear high above the prop placed on the path which is essentially a  road common of the game.

It appears that the prop ends influencing in appearing of the model depending on the way. I was trying with other players to replace this prop for an effect to see if everything was becoming more stable but unfortunately the interest in the work seems to be over.

Anyway it is interesting to see that this mod still causes some interest. Maybe go back to work in another model!

BarbyW

If I can dredge up from the depths of my brain the early work we did on this mod I'll see if I can help but I don't remember having problems with the automata spawning as you can see from my .gif in the opening post.

It will have to wait until next week though as I am away from home.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

NCGAIO

Thank you for your attention  :thumbsup:

The problem (if we may so call it) it's exactly not with spawning although he also happens but with model still appears follow_road after some time.

If you build a big squared with the  channel and stations in the corners have the automatons strolling for awhile but invariably they end up disappearing.

I know it was  the basis of the "road without texture" of Goaskin but in fact does not seem to happen because the game reinstates as you can see here. Here

Apparently the T prop placed on the path does not cooperate for the continuity of the model show up on the road. I even tried a prop pending on the way but the result was the same.

The other hope was to be placed  the texture by a effect but the project stalled.

dazontheweb

Hi all,

I'm a new member here and was wondering if someone could offer me some advice please? I'm currently in the process of designing a new city and appear to be having problems with seeing any boats appear on the canal I've designed.

I'm using the canal mod from NAM and some of SimGobbers stations etc, but I'm seeing no canal boats at it. What am I doing wrong? Is there a mod I'm missing? Is the layout incorrect?

Would someone be able to offer me some advice please?

Thank you

CahosRahneVeloza

I know CAN-Am has been placed in the back burner indefinitely, but here's hoping this project would be picked up on by the NAM Team again in the near future.

@dazontheweb: I'm guessing the old CAN-Am stations are also affected by the newer increased capacity limits imposed upon the game by NAM 32 and needs SLURPing by the NAM MTA Team as well, just like with most other older stations (including ones for rail) out there on the net. I'm no expert on this, just basing my presumption on what I've read regarding Station capacities on NAM 32's readme files as well as the comments of NAM Team members (most notably Z) regarding the matter.