• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGAIO

Quote from: Grrrilla on June 24, 2012, 03:30:52 PM
Despite heavy use according to the route query tool, there are no watercraft visible on my canals except the rare half-submerged bus after an invisible "crash."

The bus that you mentioned is what really happens in the game if the prop placed above the plop path of the NAM is lost.

What actually happens is the transit of BUS and Truck Freight below the prop as it appears in the picture below ... the boats are only  automata to appear above the props and create the impression of navigation.

Grneyes

Quote from: NCGAIO on June 26, 2012, 09:47:49 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on November 14, 2011, 02:34:16 PM
Kinda interesting there's suddenly a ton of interest in CAN-AM.  ....

-Alex

Disheartening to see that interest comes and goes away soon. Indeed it  more curiosity than desire to use the CAN-AM ... just see that is  one of the least visited of the NAM creations.

I think there should be more enlightening tutorials on how to build and use the functional channels.

The picture below shows an effect that I put over the props to display the water of  channel  moving  ...

if time permits I will try to change the tone of the effect and reduce a bit in order to use Calllagrafx that has more realistic textures.

I would definitely use them more if there was a tutorial. Someone posted a youtube video once but it has been pulled.

NCGAIO

This is still active although not exactlyon the functional he explains the basics to make the channels.
( I'm doing one  with the use of the CAN-AM )

The difference for functional is to exchange the central parts of channels  for parts the NAM  that are on menu transport  according to the image below.

(updated)

For bridges and other crossings just look for the pieces that fit into the ring NAM TAB as shown below.

NCGAIO

Tutorial ... under construction

NCGAIO

Mods ... under construction

Tarkus

That's a very interesting question. :)

The way most transit items are assigned to their respective menus is through the use of a SubmenuKey property, rather than an OG.  There's 11 such properties:

SubmenuKey: Networks: Highway Ramps Menu (ID 0x00004005)
SubmenuKey: Networks: Rails Depots Menu (ID 0x00004001)
SubmenuKey: Networks: Miscellaneous Transport Menu (ID 0x00004002)
SubmenuKey: Networks: Road Menu (ID 0x00004000)
SubmenuKey: Utilities: Power Plant Menu (ID 0x00004003)
SubmenuKey: Utilities: Water Plant Menu (ID 0x00004004)
SubmenuKey: Utilities: Sanitation Menu (ID 0x2A49D7CA)
SubmenuKey: Terraform: Create Fauna Menu (ID 0x8A3F131B)
SubmenuKey: Zoning: Commercial Menu (ID 0x8A3F14DC)
SubmenuKey: Zoning: Industrial Menu (ID 0x8A3F1502)
SubmenuKey: Zoning: Residential Menu (ID 0x8A3F1505)

There isn't one for the Water Transit menu, at least of which anyone is aware, and I believe this to do with the fact that the Water Transit menu is the one part of the transport menu hierarchy that, by default, only contains Lot-based items.  It doesn't contain any sort of draggable item, while the other submenus with key properties do.  I don't know that it's possible to simply stick an OG on it, as the CAN-AM pieces are RUL-bound (in RUL0).

I agree it would be nice if we could somehow put it under Water Transit, as that'd really be the most logical place . . . but it's uncharted territory.

-Alex

Tarkus

Quote from: marcszar on October 26, 2012, 03:12:17 PM
So there's no SubmenuKey property for the Water Transit menu and sticking an OG property on the CAN-AM won't help? &mmm

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.  I've tried sticking an OG on there to no avail--it's not the right type of exemplar to support that property.  The icon exemplars for RUL-bound transit items are Type 28 exemplars ("Misc Catalog"), whereas OG properties go with Building (Type 02), Automaton (Type 16 and 17), and Prop (Type 1E) exemplars.

There's a remote chance that there might be a hitherto-unknown SubmenuKey property, as Maxis did add support for theoretical items that weren't included in game (an especially odd example being a Bridge RUL for Water Pipe Bridges).  But that's a very trial-and-error thing.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Quote from: Tarkus on October 26, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
Maxis did add support for theoretical items that weren't included in game (an especially odd example being a Bridge RUL for Water Pipe Bridges)
Likely just so the game didn't crash in exceptional circumstances. That's why Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire has ??????????.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

BaronVonCatfish

I have checked to make sure all plugins are installed (as per searching through this thread). I have installed the Can-Am terminals stuff as well as the most current NAM. I get CAM-AN under the Misc-Transport Menu but I do not get the terminals. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

BaronVonCatfish

Cool, I re-read the whole thread, uninstalled NAM, re-installed and looked in the correct menu for the terminals! Yeah  &apls

Tilarium

One of the things I do when I play is start cities in pretty much every region even if there is no city there.  The reason I do this is so I can map out the highway system and the rail network and the canal system.  The problem I also have with the canals though is that I just don't know how to end them when I hit one of the real water areas and with the canal not really looking right in an undeveloped region/area.  Anyone offer any advice?  The not looking right part is just my personal taste, but really need advice/help with the canals hitting rivers or the coast.

[Delta ²k5]

Quote from: Tilarium on January 03, 2013, 03:46:03 PM
... but really need advice/help with the canals hitting rivers or the coast.

Take a look over here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=317.300 There are some nice pictures waiting for you ;)

vortext

It's always a bit of a challenge to combine both canals and ingame water. Either an overflow or a lock piece will do the trick. Or, one can use an ingame bridge to seperate the two waters, provided some patience during terraforming and drawing the bridge. However imho it can give a nice result, like so.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Reform

That is a fine looking transition, vortex. :thumbsup:
It also reminded me of a bat/lot project that I should have finished a year ago. You inspired me to get back to it.

- Ilja

vester

Tilarium

Another question.  On most (if not all?) of the canals used with CAN-AM there are the bridge ploppables.  Is there a way to use CAN-AM with those, or should I reserve those for the spots where CAN-AM is not in effect?

NCGAIO

Use the  parts of puzzles NAM for the bridges over CAN-AM to  traffic continues operating under them !

Diggis

Quote from: vortext on January 04, 2013, 08:22:47 AM
It's always a bit of a challenge to combine both canals and ingame water. Either an overflow or a lock piece will do the trick. Or, one can use an ingame bridge to seperate the two waters, provided some patience during terraforming and drawing the bridge. However imho it can give a nice result, like so.

Just wanted to say, lovely photo. I haven't been around much since I released the last set of the banks, so it's good to see they are being used, and well!

FrankU

Hi Diggis,

Yes, they are surely used a lot. Pity though that you haven't made a set of narrow ditches without the stoney banks... Grass banks, that would be great for my Dutch themed landscapes...

Please?

( Sorry for hijacking this thread...)

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on January 22, 2013, 05:18:46 AM
Hi Diggis,

Yes, they are surely used a lot. Pity though that you haven't made a set of narrow ditches without the stoney banks... Grass banks, that would be great for my Dutch themed landscapes...

Please?

( Sorry for hijacking this thread...)

I have started them... Problem is I'm not sure I'd even know how to mod them any more.  :o

I was looking at some of the stuff I released, like the CAN-AM multiple sets and doubt I could even begin to figure out how I did it.