• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM (Rail Addon Mod) - Development Thread

Started by dedgren, October 16, 2008, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielra96

that's awesome
i have to download that :)

choco

well, im not on the RAM team, but i was tinkering with some other files and managed to come up with this....still needs shadows and T21's, but i'll carry traffic.  ;D

it works the same as the current rail viaducts in that it'll change to whichever texture is chosen by the user.  if anyone's interested, i'll see about submtting this to the team.

Leodido

Very nice, please submit it to the team ;)

Omnia, my first MD. Check it out!

joelyboy911

Is that a bridge in the ordinary sense, but made to connect with EL-STR?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

choco

STR for now....although an elevated version could be easily done.  ;)   altering the height of any bridge is simple....there's a BridgeHeight property in the exemplar to offset the models in the Z direction.  for instance, the Maxis Cable-Stayed Highway bridges....

joelyboy911

So, (off-topic, I'm sorry) theoretically, you could quite easily modify the maxis avenue bridges to raise them 15 metres and then they would join up nicely to the puzzle pieces?

I thought EL-STR because of the support column style and your mention of viaducts, but I see what you mean now. I would suggest that possibly the dirty patches around those columns need to be adjusted.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

choco

Quote from: joelyboy911 on August 28, 2009, 03:17:21 AM
So, (off-topic, I'm sorry) theoretically, you could quite easily modify the maxis avenue bridges to raise them 15 metres and then they would join up nicely to the puzzle pieces?
i suppose...there's a few things it entails.  i'll explain elsewhere if ya like.

QuoteI would suggest that possibly the dirty patches around those columns need to be adjusted.
im still rather horrible with textures, but i hope this is an improvement..... :)

joelyboy911

Much better.

So did you take the rail viaduct models used in the puzzle pieces (EL-STR isn't out yet is it?) and adapt them to a bridge situation? If so, could something similar be done to have matching styled bridges for the elevated roads etc?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

TJ1

has the RAM been abandoned? i was really looking  forward to the new one  :(

noahclem

No it has not. Of course it is impossible to know when or even a 100% if, but I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.  ;)

TJ1

Tarkus

Generally, if there's no news on a project, we typically haven't forgotten about it . . . we're just involved in other projects.  Right now, there's not really much staff on the RAM . . . the main exponents of the project (David and Dave) are less active at the current moment, and the majority of the active developers who have the skills/qualifications to do anything on the RAM are generally occupied with other projects (RHW, NWM, T-RAM, etc.). 

If it's full-on cancelled/dead, we'll usually say so.  And it's very rare that we do that--heck, Duke Nukem Forever is actually going to be released after 14 years in development, so even projects long thought relegated to the "vaporware" category can come back around and surprise you.  The NWM took almost 4 years between when we announced it and when it saw its first release.  We've only been a little over 2 years since the first RAM . . . just give it some time. :)

-Alex

c0rnh0li0

I tried downloading the RAM. The Windows file says RAM_STR_mac.zip, the MAC download file says RAM_STR_mac_version.zip

Tarkus

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on June 14, 2011, 09:25:00 AM
I tried downloading the RAM. The Windows file says RAM_STR_mac.zip, the MAC download file says RAM_STR_mac_version.zip

As I recall, when we initially uploaded the RAM way back when, the Mac file was accidentally loaded to the Windows upload.  This was fixed fairly quickly, but the LEX software retains the filename of whatever the first version uploaded was, and it is very difficult if not impossible to fix.  That's also why the RealHighway filenames still have "Rural Highway" in them, NAM Essentials still says "June 2007" on it. 

In those situations, it's best to just ignore the filename and just pay attention to the date.  As long as there's an installer inside it like there's supposed to be for the Windows version, you're okay.

-Alex

c0rnh0li0

Ok. I was wondering because when I clicked on one of the railroad menu items, the game crashed. So I didn't know if I had the correct file.

c0rnh0li0

I see what's causing my problem now. When I click on some of the NAM menu items & move the cursor over some of the PEG seaport content, then game crashes.

threestooges

Likely that's caused by hovering a puzzle piece (like the original GLR pieces before they were made draggable) over a lot that is transit enabled, like many of PEG's seaport lots that have driveways which automatically connect to the road. Basically, if there are lots you can drag a transit network through, then they're transit enabled, and care should be used when placing puzzle pieces around them.

Tarkus

You may have noticed the RAM Development thread is now in a new location--it's been moved out of the RAM Team Place and into NAM Creations.  Development on a Version 2 is about to go full steam ahead (pun fully intended) after the upcoming NAM Version 30/RHW 5.0/NWM 2.0 release cycle. 

Given that the "RAM Team" is all NAMites anyway (and has been for years), meaning it's as much a NAM Team project as the RHW, T-RAM, etc., and NAM Creations is one of the most frequented and visible boards on the entire site, it seemed logical to pull the thread into a different station so more folks would board as we head down the track toward further development (again, puns fully intended--my apologies, I really get silly late at night).

-Alex

strucka

I'd like this, but here is no like button.
True the railways were a bit left behind for some time now, but we are getting some really great roads and highways, which will surely be complemented by the rails in the near future. So good for us all.
What would would be nice is, if someone would post a reply of what the goals are with the RAM, what was done until now, what the plan is for a realese (we know that might not happen as you say, but just to show in which way it will be evolved).
So I will aplaud you and wish a fast release of the current NAM projects and a good progress on the RAM thingie.. =D

&apls &apls

Rady

First,  thanks for the hard work of yours ....

Second, may I just say that I would see the desperate need for some additional rail x street(road/avenue) functionality, since I very often end up not knowing how to cross my STR. The draggable crossings only works if the straight STR section exceeds a certain length, otherwise it will reconvert to "normal" rail.

So, a few puzzle pieces would be fine, as well as a STR FLUP piece .. but I think the FLUPS are done by another team ..?
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps