• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM (Rail Addon Mod) - Development Thread

Started by dedgren, October 16, 2008, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Nope :P
It's done by us now.

The override isn't really something we can help.

There is a simple solution to your problems though. There's a Diagonal STR starter in the tab loop. Simply find the rotation that works properly when you demolish the non-starter bit, leaving the starter stub (some don't) then plop it over the DTR stub after the STR puzzle piece.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ps2owner

So I suppose RAM is back in business?
That's awesome!  &apls

sepen77

~ Sepen77

Jonathan

Quote from: Rady on August 16, 2011, 03:43:30 AM
Second, may I just say that I would see the desperate need for some additional rail x street(road/avenue) functionality, since I very often end up not knowing how to cross my STR. The draggable crossings only works if the straight STR section exceeds a certain length, otherwise it will reconvert to "normal" rail.

That's strange, because I was pretty sure we'd got rid of all the issues of reconverting back to rail. 

Could you post some images of the situations where this happens, it will be a great help in making it more stable and fixing this.

Tarkus

Quote from: ps2owner on August 16, 2011, 07:14:46 AM
So I suppose RAM is back in business?
That's awesome!  &apls

It's never really been out of business, as there's been a few "spurts" of development every now and again since the Version 1 release, but the isolation of the project on a separate, less active board made it seem that way. 

Quote from: strucka on August 16, 2011, 02:00:51 AM
What would would be nice is, if someone would post a reply of what the goals are with the RAM, what was done until now, what the plan is for a realese (we know that might not happen as you say, but just to show in which way it will be evolved).

Actually, the initial post on the thread gives a fairly good indication of the direction the project is headed, listing some of the new networks that will be added in future releases.  While Version 2 probably won't exhaust that list, it'll be a bigger release than Version 1 was.  I'll leave it to the folks more involved with the RAM show what they've been up to. :)

-Alex

ivo_su

I'm curious to know if RAM is concerned with Elevated rail tracks that serve to cross over other networks. In this line of thinking, when is planned to have pieces to go over all NWM - networks. I know that great design jondor level crossings with barriers, but an overpass would be much more effective in wider networks, to no traffic jams to traffic lights.

Regards,
Ivo

Mr.Sixty

About the rail viaducts: Is there a chance they will be draggable anytime soon?

Tarkus

Ivo and Mr. Sixty, to answer your question, the EL-DTR (Elevated Dual Track) network mentioned in the RAM Network Chart is essentially a draggable version of the existing NAM Heavy Rail Viaducts.  That network is currently in development for the Version 2 release.

-Alex

Mr.Sixty

Quote from: Tarkus on August 16, 2011, 11:19:02 PM
Ivo and Mr. Sixty, to answer your question, the EL-DTR (Elevated Dual Track) network mentioned in the RAM Network Chart is essentially a draggable version of the existing NAM Heavy Rail Viaducts.  That network is currently in development for the Version 2 release.

-Alex

Yaaaay!!  ;D

metarvo

So, this is basically going to be analogous to the comparison of ERHW-over-x puzzle pieces to draggable ERHW that can cross over x.  This sounds promising. :satisfied:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Rady

Quote from: Jonathan on August 16, 2011, 09:03:38 AM
That's strange, because I was pretty sure we'd got rid of all the issues of reconverting back to rail. 

Could you post some images of the situations where this happens, it will be a great help in making it more stable and fixing this.

Sorry, I'm pretty late with posting this, but now here we go: The first picture is the setup before I add the 45° curve. THe road tiles are just placed because you can't see the grid at this elevation ..

Now, after adding the 45° curve, the three-tile straigh section re-converts to normal rail:

Of course it's no problem placing the STR filler piece on it, but than you won't get a road crossing to work ... or at least only with a graphic glitch.
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Jonathan

Oh right, that's because puzzle pieces don't have starter tiles on the ends of them, if they did and the pieces were placed on slopes it would flatten awkwardly at the end, and it allows curves to be places right next to each other. So for each section between puzzle pieces you'll need add a starter piece (you can delete the tile that doesn't let you drag over it, without destroying the starter tile).

dwelln8hss32

The DTR reversion Rady's described happens to me when I cross STR over certain SAM streets, such as PEG's Dirt Roads or Trolca's Dirt Streets. In fact, concerning the former SAM street, I still have missing textures for the STR/SAM crossing tiles  &mmm. (I'm all up to date with the NAM, BTW). So the reversions are very much still a concern, as are the missing SAM textures. If I can get a picture posted, I'll throw one out.

Very glad to see the RAM progress in development! Great job NAMmers!
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

ScottFTL

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on August 30, 2011, 11:37:06 AM
The DTR reversion Rady's described happens to me when I cross STR over certain SAM streets, such as PEG's Dirt Roads or Trolca's Dirt Streets. In fact, concerning the former SAM street, I still have missing textures for the STR/SAM crossing tiles  &mmm. (I'm all up to date with the NAM, BTW).

There is a patch for this railway crossing. It is attached to the first post in the SAM thread"$Deal"$

jondor

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on August 30, 2011, 11:37:06 AM
The DTR reversion Rady's described happens to me when I cross STR over certain SAM streets, such as PEG's Dirt Roads or Trolca's Dirt Streets. In fact, concerning the former SAM street, I still have missing textures for the STR/SAM crossing tiles  &mmm. (I'm all up to date with the NAM, BTW). So the reversions are very much still a concern, as are the missing SAM textures. If I can get a picture posted, I'll throw one out.

Very glad to see the RAM progress in development! Great job NAMmers!

That patch also contains the textures for DTR crossings.  Unfortunately, the SAMxSTR rules are extremely unstable in the current public controller.  &mmm

However, I spent some time fixing them for the controller that will eventually be released with NAM 30.  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

dwelln8hss32

Quote from: jondor on August 30, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
That patch also contains the textures for DTR crossings.  Unfortunately, the SAMxSTR rules are extremely unstable in the current public controller.  &mmm

However, I spent some time fixing them for the controller that will eventually be released with NAM 30.  :thumbsup:
Ah-Ha! Thanks Scott FTL and Jondor for pointing that out. My hiatus from SC4 explains my unawareness. Despite the instability, I'll try out the patch... I use SAM quite a bit. Until then, looking forward to NAM 30!  ;D

Best,

Jake
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Rady

Quote from: Jonathan on August 30, 2011, 09:04:22 AM
Oh right, that's because puzzle pieces don't have starter tiles on the ends of them, if they did and the pieces were placed on slopes it would flatten awkwardly at the end, and it allows curves to be places right next to each other. So for each section between puzzle pieces you'll need add a starter piece (you can delete the tile that doesn't let you drag over it, without destroying the starter tile).

Ok, so given my example, I could plop the orthogonal starte piece right after the curve, so that after demolishing the starter stub the remaining tile of STR would allow me to cross with the road. Then I would add to orthogonla filler pieces on both sides of the crossing and be fine?

I'll give it a try, however I think that when demolishing the starter stub the curve will be destroyed ... 'cause normally when demolishing a single tile adjacent to a FAR piece the FAR is destroyed, too.
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Jonathan

Quote from: Rady on August 30, 2011, 02:53:25 PM
Ok, so given my example, I could plop the orthogonal starte piece right after the curve, so that after demolishing the starter stub the remaining tile of STR would allow me to cross with the road. Then I would add to orthogonla filler pieces on both sides of the crossing and be fine?

I'll give it a try, however I think that when demolishing the starter stub the curve will be destroyed ... 'cause normally when demolishing a single tile adjacent to a FAR piece the FAR is destroyed, too.
You would place the starter piece backward, pointing towards the curve:

(It won't matter if you've already joined the curves together)

(You place the starter piece pointing towards the curve, so that the tile you demolish is not directly next to the puzzle piece)

(Then delete the "dead" tile of the starter piece)

(Drag rail out of the starter piece and join up the other puzzle piece)

(You can then drag networks across the STR, except for on the tile that the "live" starter is on)

I hope the helps,
Jonathan

Rady

Quote from: Jonathan on August 30, 2011, 03:24:22 PM
I hope the helps,
Jonathan

Ahh .. you're great! Maybe this little "tutorial" can make it's way into the RAM documentation?

pimmapman

After you get EL-DTR, TTR, and QTR, will it be possible to get TR-DTR (dragable trench rail)?