• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Importing from Blender to Gmax?

Started by tomvsotis, December 05, 2016, 11:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Has anyone had any luck importing models from Blender into Gmax? Blender can export to a .3ds file, which Gmax seems to have support for importing, but the model i tried to import last night refused to open. I'm curious whether anyone here has done this and been able to get it to work? I'm reasonably competent with Blender, and I'd much rather use that to make custom models if possible (esp since it works on OS X, too, while Gmax is Windows-only.) Anyone?

vester

What is the polycount (numbers of triangles and verties) of the model you are trying to export ?

Long time since I tried to export to 3ds, but maybe a version to old ?
(gmax is an old program)

tomvsotis

Quote from: vester on December 05, 2016, 01:06:37 PM
Was the polycount (numbers of triangles and verties) of the model you are trying to export ?

Long time since I tried to export to 3ds, but maybe a version to old ?
(gmax is an old program)
About 13k verts/26k triangles.

tomvsotis

Hmmm, so if anyone else is wondering about this, I think I've got it working. (There are some old tutorials floating around here and on Simtropolis that were somewhat helpful.) Gmax doesn't seem to like textures made for Blender's internal renderer, but it seems to be OK with Cycles render. Haven't been entirely successful yet - there are still some wrinkles to be ironed out - but this does seem to be do-able, which is good news for me, at least, because Gmax makes my head hurt