• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAMeLots - Linking all available lots and bats

Started by RippleJet, August 14, 2007, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Quote from: iviaarten on November 26, 2012, 11:57:57 AM
Anyone ever gathered everything including all the models, textures and lots and other sorted dependencies and upload them somewhere in 1 big CAM starter pack install?

That crossed our minds too. But some author/creators did not want their models hosted at SC4D. Preferring or having a loyalty to the STEX. There will never be an all in one file nor a one stop shopping destination for the starter packs.

I beta tested the CAM but deleted the starter packs once the game was released. I played the game normally until I saw the first stage 8 buildings grow. Then downloaded a selection of stage 9 and 10's. Downloaded some 11 and 12's when those started to pop up. That broke the downloading into manageable tasks. That also means I have the buildings I wanted in my plugin's. The XTool is also a great help. It can make an existing or newly downloaded too tall stage 8 into stage 13 with just a few mouse clicks.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

NCGAIO

Quote from: iviaarten on November 26, 2012, 11:57:57 AM
Anyone ever gathered everything including all the models, textures and lots and other sorted dependencies and upload them somewhere in 1 big CAM starter pack install?

A  reason ...
"$Deal"$  - CAM - Available as a Torrent or Elsewhere?

It's one reason the complexity of doing so. (verify compatibility)

"$Deal"$ - missing z_CAM

feelingshehides

Anyone have another link for CAM LOTS BXL1 ? the download is disabled..  http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1087

7x5 Kwai Chung Estate Phase 1     10    CAM LOTS BXL1   HKABT bixel MEGA Pack Vol015

jmyers2043

Quote from: feelingshehides on January 29, 2013, 04:58:48 AM
Anyone have another link for CAM LOTS BXL1 ? the download is disabled..

You didn't read the Amin note did you? The Arch1 is a known immortal lot.

- Jim

feelingshehides

Quote from: jmyers2043 on January 29, 2013, 05:43:12 AM
Quote from: feelingshehides on January 29, 2013, 04:58:48 AM
Anyone have another link for CAM LOTS BXL1 ? the download is disabled..

You didn't read the Amin note did you? The Arch1 is a known immortal lot.

- Jim

I thought it got fixed? And how am i suppose to completely download everything?
Look at Residential §§ CAMeLots, lots of them require the CAM LOTS BXL1

also.. HKABT bixel MEGA Pack Vol08 http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=903 is also locked.. and its required also.

jmyers2043

Quote from: feelingshehides on January 29, 2013, 06:33:11 AM
I thought it got fixed? And how am i suppose to completely download everything?
Look at Residential §§ CAMeLots, lots of them require the CAM LOTS BXL1

also.. HKABT bixel MEGA Pack Vol08 http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=903 is also locked.. and its required also.

You do not have to completely download everything. The Arch1 building is not a requirement. The buildings and starter packs are simply there so the gamer will have tall varied interesting looking cities with minimum fuss. The CAM will function fine and dandy without those two downloads. 

I do not have any of the starters in my game other than the industrial pack. I beta tested the CAM and used the starter packs druing that process. Deleted them when the CAM was made public. Then downloaded, modded, created lots for my CAM cities all on my own.

Good Luck - Jim

H2Odk

I am in the process of installing Simcity including the CAM Starter Packs, Something in the OP made me wonder if I was installing enough dependencies. I'm 99% sure I am, but just in case..

Quote from: RippleJet on August 14, 2007, 03:59:28 PM
If the Model File is included in a previously uploaded lot (on STEX or a Japanese site), you only need the file that contains the batted model from that upload. Normally this is a SC4Model file, but in some cases it might be a DAT file. In no cases will you need any SC4Lot files, SC4Desc files or custom queries contained in the original upload, or any dependencies mentioned for that upload.

(SNIP)

Other dependencies, like Textures, Props and Queries for these starter packs are listed in the CAMeLots - Dependencies thread.
You need to make sure you have all Texture dependencies, otherwise you will have lots that are lacking textures.
Even if you are lacking one of the Prop dependencies, your CAMeLots will still function. You would only have some missing props, but no brown boxes.

The two highlighted parts is what makes me unsure. Here is an example:

CAM Residentials BSC require NDEX Evil Vanadium HQ By DuskTrooper. That has some texture dependencies, do I need to install those?

jmyers2043

Quote from: H2Odk on February 06, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
CAM Residentials BSC require NDEX Evil Vanadium HQ By DuskTrooper. That has some texture dependencies, do I need to install those?

The rule of thumb is that CAM residentials are relots of the originals. 99% certain that the only thing needed is the model file. The original lot and DESC are usually tossed out in favor of the CAM versions. The CAM version may or may not use the dependencies listed on the STEX. The CAM residential read me should tell you what is needed to make the lots function and appear properly.

Happy CAM'ing!

- Jim

H2Odk

Thx for the answer jmyers2043, that is what I am doing.. only installing the model file (and deleting any others when it is an installer).

While installing the starter packs I came across these inconsistencies:

10. Industrial Dirty CAMeLots
Acme Oil Additives: BSCBATProps JES Vol14 Superceded by BSC Mega Props - JES Vol05

11. Industrial Manufacturing CAMeLots
SG Pet Supplies: Small Warehouse Pack 01 wrong url, should be Small Warehouse Pack 01

simman0627

simman0627

Cryptik

Hey,

i searched the whole forum and the list above but cant find the R$$ Stage 8 Royale. This is the full name of the building, its not the Cobb Royale, i already tried. It is a 4x4 building, it'd be awesome if someone could link me the model.

OmniCorpHI

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Ya'll need to learn to play nice and not be so uptight about things. I've got downloads with nested downloads going on and no idea if it's all going to work correctly in the end. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but that horse is more complicated than an ikea instruction manual for the brooklyn bridge. If it were encouraged going forward, perhaps some kind of built-in option in the submission of things, to mark an upload as CC licensed, it *would* be fine to build a starter pack that makes getting going a whole heck of a lot easier. I understand this place has been around a looong time, and back in ye olde dark times folks on the net were hyper-paranoid about their stuff getting taken without credit, but these are modern days, a modern world, one where mankind works to better himself, for the good of all. With all the recent attention the franchise has been given, consider the possibility of moving forward into the modern era of content creation :)

HappyDays

It's not a matter of what technically can be done, it's a matter of the culture. The community just feels it's wrong to distribute someone's hard work without their permission, and after 10 years I strongly doubt you'll be convincing folks otherwise.

Besides that, the CAM is its own special subculture. It's more a personal project RippleJet and co. decided to share with friends than a mod intended for mass consumption. At least, that's the impression I've gotten over the years.

It's a rite of passage to download billions of files, as a way to saying "Hey man, you spent all that time making the mod, it's the least i can do."

squi

Hey folks!

I'm brand new here, so I have some stupid questions. Did some search, couldn't find any answers...

But first of all I want to thank you for a great job with improving the game! Stuff you do is severely awesome!

Now to my question.

I have installed CAM and naturally wanted to get some buildings for it.

apart from going crazy with all those endless installations I came across one simple thing: all links for dependencies from readme files that lead to simtropolis just get me to their index page and I can't find any of the mentioned dependencies using search. and those dependansies are like in every piece... What do I do wrong? Please help. I want tonns of new shining buildings so bad!

P.S. This verification process is terrible!!!  :angrymore:

catty

Quote from: squi on March 18, 2013, 09:46:43 AM
...apart from going crazy with all those endless installations I came across one simple thing: all links for dependencies from readme files that lead to simtropolis just get me to their index page and I can't find any of the mentioned dependencies using search. and those dependansies are like in every piece... What do I do wrong? Please help. I want tonns of new shining buildings so bad!...

If that happens then replace the first part of the link with

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/

find the number given in the original link 3633

and add it to the end like so http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/3633- include a dash on the end as the correct link will have more information, which you don't know but including the dash will bring up the file you need if its on the STEX

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/3633-frogface-telecom/

hope that helps

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Diggis

Quote from: squi on March 18, 2013, 09:46:43 AM

P.S. This verification process is terrible!!!  :angrymore:

Unfortunately, this is necessary.  Recently we had a large number of bots, Tarkus and Jmouse were banning 50 a day I believe. So a small amount of discomfort once means a better forum for all.

squi

Quote from: catty on March 18, 2013, 10:25:18 AM

Duuuude, this actually helps!

And this is sooo cool!

Thank you VERY MUCH!  :thumbsup:

P.S. Still a lot of work to do to kill all the brown boxes...

pigeonpigeon

Quote from: catty on March 18, 2013, 10:25:18 AM

find the number given in the original link 3633

Very helpful! I gave up on installing CAM partially because all the broken links made it 3x harder to find all the dependencies... Maybe after recovering from my first failed attempt I will try again armed with this.

bernds

I've downloaded pretty much all the CAM content and set it up; it seems to be working fine so far. Congratulations to the community for its ability to come up with high-quality addons (although I could think of some improvements in terms of how to distribute them  ;D).
The question I have mostly concerns jestarr's industrials. Let's take this one for example, "Belkin's Bobbin Factory": http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1438
This says it has both a regular and a CAM growable. Should I be removing the regular ones in this and similar cases, or can they coexist peacefully?