• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

This isn't the first time I've seen this reported--it has to do with the use of a special "mipmapped" version of the RHW-6S texture that's in use in various spots.  The US one was done with some special trickery--the knowledge of which has been lost, and the (multiple) attempts to replicate it on the Euro end have all ended up in failure.  I was under the impression that the corrupt Euro mipmapped version was removed entirely, so I'm not sure where it is.  The file architecture on the Euro textures is a bit of a mess, to say the least--we're hoping to fix that by NAM 38.

The "Standard Euro", "Australian", "Hamburg", and "Euro Single Solid Line" options don't have any impact on the RHW--they affect Roads and NWM networks.

-Alex

hakki

Thanks for clarification.

I found this file: 'z___NAM\Road Textures\Euro Cosmetic Re-Texture Mod\RHW\0_Standard\RHW\z2_EU_RHW-Mipmaps.dat'. After removing it the textures are not glitched but yellow inside lines appears on 6S, 6C and 8C (L0) and on all of the elevated RHW networks. Strangely 8S and 10S (L0) still has white lines on straight sections but yellow lines on diagonal sections. RHW2, 3 and 4 has white lines on diagonals and on all elevation levels.

When using the mipmaps file all the surfaces on glitched networks are also just plain black at zoom 1.

I understand this is not a priority thing to fix but since I couldn't find any post about this issue, I thought I'd post my observations if it's of any use.

I guess the best compromise for me then would be to just remove the whole RHW textures folder to have non-glitched US textures on RHW networks while still having Euro textures on other road networks.

EckhartsLadder

I recently installed the mod for a clean steam install. For some reason I'm unable to place any roads.
Same issue as in this thread: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/74820-nam-road-icon-shows-up-but-cant-build/

I've tried re-running the compiler, and re-installing, with no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tarkus

Hi EckhartsLadder-

If the new icons are giving you the red arrow, as in the link, it's either a missing controller file, (much less likely in a clean install) you've also installed some other old transit mod that is loading after the NAM and causing the game to ignore the controller.  Assuming you're using the standard installation directory, the NAM Controller should be in the My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod folder--the file would be called NetworkAddonMod_Controller.dat.  It should be a fairly large file--depending on your installation options, it could somewhere in the vicinity of 150MB.

This sort of thing has been happening with some installations lately--the installer is pretty horribly temperamental at the moment (a big part of the reason there isn't a NAM 37 yet). 
If it isn't there, or is abnormally small, the best bet might be to reach into the installer with 7-zip (right click the installer, go down to where it says "7-zip" on the pop-up menu, and select the "Open archive" option), then go into the $_68_ folder, followed by Tools > Controller Compiler > Network Addon Mod > Controller, and then click on either NetworkAddonMod_Controller_RIGHT_HAND_VERSION.dat or NetworkAddonMod_Controller_LEFT_HAND_VERSION.dat (if vehicles drive on the right in your version of the game, select the "RIGHT" version, otherwise, the "LEFT" version), and drag it into the Network Addon Mod installation folder, extracting it.

-Alex

EckhartsLadder

Hi Alex, thanks for your (remarkably!  &apls) quick response. The dat file is about 80mb. That seems right, but I'll try what you suggested tomorrow. Thanks!

EckhartsLadder

Unfortunately that solution didn't help. I extracted the file and tried it both with the existing bat and on its own. Still the same issues. I've tried it with a clean plugins folder as well. I'm attaching a pic of my name folder.

VeTram

Hello , i need to understand something important for me . i am trying to learn NAM lately and i would like to know if the following is possible...
Iam trying to build a RHW interchange like in the below foto... as you can see in the foto there is a road coming from left that joins the central highway from its right side (i have highlighted it with red and you can see also the direction of the road by the arrows)....the right side of the highway is the side in yellow line in NAM network...so my question is simple...can it be done so in NAM?  and if yes how? thanks
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

Wiimeiser

So the L1 Road X MIS T-intersection does not carry over its network, meaning that AFAIK it's physically impossible to build a half-diamond where the road is at L1. In fact, if you want to have the RHW on the ground, the only solution is to make the road L2 and use filler puzzle pieces...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tyberius06

Hi,

I checked it on google maps satelite view to see, how it looks like originally. The diagonal joining road actually an AVEnue in SC4 terms, and in theory it can be done, but it won't be as compact as in real life. Plus the RHW over multiple crossroads and rail/GLR lines won't work in that way as in RL. As I see the diagonal Avenue starts as L1, then after a ramp it raises up to L2, but I would start it on L2 and would use the MHO (Maxis Highway Override - techinically it's an override replacement of the original Maxis highway and makes your higways to look like RHWs), then Flex-Flys.
Maybe later I come up with some images if I manage to make something which looks close enough to the RL set-up. The most problematic parts are the diagonal entry and exit ramps. Those are not really existing currently on multiple levels and it doesn't have height transition ramps either.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Paul 999

My city suffers from traffic jams... Especially the streets. If +-1000 cars are driving here, there is already a traffic jam (turn yellow in the Congestion Vieuw).
So i open the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, and see my Base Network Capacity state on Medium. I thought let's increase this to Ultra. I save the settings. And go go to the game and speed up a few months. Nothing happens... the streets are still congestion.

Does anyone have a tip for me how to fix this issue.

b22rian

Hi there Paul,

Usually , with that kinda major change in the traffic settings, you should run the game a minimum of 5 game years,
and than check and compare again..

Please let us now , thanks  :thumbsup:

jeffryfisher

Quote from: Paul 999 on March 15, 2020, 01:51:27 AM
My city suffers from traffic jams... Especially the streets. If +-1000 cars are driving here, there is already a traffic jam (turn yellow in the Congestion Vieuw).
So i open the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, and see my Base Network Capacity state on Medium. I thought let's increase this to Ultra. I save the settings. And go go to the game and speed up a few months. Nothing happens... the streets are still congestion.

Two more notes:

1) When your congestion does abate, so will your commercial demand. Existing commercial buildings will sink to few customers, and they might even abandon. For that reason, I have stayed at medium and then built more transport where needed.

2) The route-finder works at its own pace, using spare CPU cycles in between days of simulation. Speeding up to cheetah might actually consume more cycles, paradoxically slowing the route recalculations.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Wiimeiser

Am I the only one who finds it weird that commercial will fail if the road isn't congested? Is not going to shops not on your commuter route actually a thing IRL?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

b22rian

I have found that commercial seems to thrive on nearby traffic being higher also

thanks for your observations here !

roadgeek

Quote from: Paul 999 on March 15, 2020, 01:51:27 AM

Soooo....why not upgrade the streets?

jeffryfisher

~1000 and yellow is the "Goldilocks" point (just right). What must be cured is red at triple-capacity.

metarvo

Trying to draw out a DXD road intersection results in this now.  This issue did not occur in the release candidate but it's happening consistently for me now that I have installed the full release.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

That's the default game behavior without the NAM, IIRC.  It's presumably Road INRUL-related--my only guess is that it's a bug caused by a bugfix.  I'll have to investigate (and thankfully, the INRULs are small enough that it would be readily patchable).

Edit: Found it.  Somehow, there were some old (originally from Maxis) lines in INRUL-08 (the Road Advanced INRUL) that had been previous commented out, that had somehow been let back in with the files in the depository.  Replace the copy of NetworkAddonMod_IndividualNetworkRULs.dat in the Network Addon Mod\1_Core directory with the one in this .zip file, and all should be good.

-Alex

jeffryfisher

Very cool. Will there be a 37.1 patch in a month or so that incorporates quick fixes like this?

Tarkus

Quote from: jeffryfisher on July 05, 2020, 07:37:21 AM
Very cool. Will there be a 37.1 patch in a month or so that incorporates quick fixes like this?

It would depend a lot on how things go with NAM 38.  While I don't wish to speculate on release dates, the plan is to go to smaller releases (and thus, shorter cycles), and I'm planning on enforcing that.

-Alex