• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabal223

I dont know if anybody is interested, but Im working on a complete pathing of intersections so this way the traffic dont disappears, only for personal use, but let me know what you think:

before:

after:

Nego

It looks interesting, though I personally wouldn't want my sims making a left turn from a right lane, or a right turn from the left lave on a six lane avenue. In fact, I wouldn't want them doing that on any avenue, or OWR. I do like that you fixed the OWR terminating at AVE-6 missing paths for left lane bug, though. What you've done looks interesting though. I'd love to see more!

PS. I'll PM you later, when I have time, about this.

kabal223

Yeah, I know that those turns are not realistic, but I preffer that to the disappearing cars bug.

Right now I have all the MAVE-6 and  MAVE-4 paths done.

deathtopumpkins

Cars will still disappear. Unless I am severely mistaken, cars disappearing has nothing to do with turn paths through intersection, but rather is just how Maxis set it up.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

kabal223

With my paths and the Persistent Automata Mod the cars only disappears when they reach their destination. Trust me, the game traffic looks really good this way :).

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2010, 10:04:27 AM
Cars will still disappear. Unless I am severely mistaken, cars disappearing has nothing to do with turn paths through intersection, but rather is just how Maxis set it up.

Exactly.  The disappearing is the result of the Automata controller, not the pathing.  Pathing only controls where the automata go.  With those paths, you would more than likely end up with cars passing through each other like ghosts.

-Alex

kabal223

The pathing also affect the automata, if the automata doesnt have a complete path to reach his destination the car will disappear. Trust me, Im telling you guys the truth, with that mod (the persistent automata) the cars only disappears when the paths on the roads are incomplete.

kabal223

Well, Im almost done with my personal pathing for the NWM, the only paths left are for the maxis avenues... Can you guys tell me where can I find the files for this paths:

I cant find those...  :'(

Thanks!!

Jayster

Hi,

I was wondering about the 'problem' with the OWR5. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not but there are cars driving in the opposite dirrection. I remember somebody posting about this a while back. I was just wondering what caused it and if it would/will be fixed. Just wondering :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Quote from: kabal223 on July 18, 2010, 07:32:34 AM
Can you guys tell me where can I find the files for this paths:

If it's a Maxis intersection, the paths should be in SimCity_1.dat.  You can use the Texture Viewer in ilive's Reader (or the Texture Scanner in SC4Tool) to aid in that process.  The diagonal street one should be in the NetworkAddonMod_Diagonal_Streets_Plugin.dat in Network Addon Mod\Plugins.

Quote from: Jayster on July 18, 2010, 06:41:08 PM
Hi,

I was wondering about the 'problem' with the OWR5. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not but there are cars driving in the opposite dirrection. I remember somebody posting about this a while back. I was just wondering what caused it and if it would/will be fixed. Just wondering :thumbsup:

The OWR-5 thing is a side-effect of the cross-over paths, which allow traffic to switch between the two halves of the network.  I've experimented with them some, but have not found a suitable solution to eliminate that effect yet.

-Alex

j-dub

Interesting, a new mod for automatta? Even now though, when I had hooked a game camera onto a default Maxis Ford Explorer, it drove at least 47 tiles, maybe further, before disappearing at it's destination, it would be interesting to see how far more traffic can go, just don't allow that permanent ghost effect to happen when certain automatta disappear, I find it worse then a CTD, however I think even with persistent automatta, you still got the real traffic and the cars that are just generated someway or another, I think there is a difference in behavior, because I have seen crashes just because I put too many genrators in one spot.

kabal223

Quote from: Tarkus on July 18, 2010, 07:24:21 PM
If it's a Maxis intersection, the paths should be in SimCity_1.dat.  You can use the Texture Viewer in ilive's Reader (or the Texture Scanner in SC4Tool) to aid in that process.  The diagonal street one should be in the NetworkAddonMod_Diagonal_Streets_Plugin.dat in Network Addon Mod\Plugins.

Thank you very much! 

Later I will post some of the bugs I encountered in the NWM and a video showing the effect of the new paths in the automata.

Again, thanks for the help Tarkus!!

Twinsfan14

IDK if this is the right place for this, but will something like this be included in a future release of the NWM or NAM or RHW or TuLEPs or something?

jdenm8

The lower one already exists (RHW-6C to 2xRHW-4 and RHW-2), but the upper one (2xRHW-4 to 2xRHW-4 and RHW-2) does not. It can however be built on a four tile wide motorway using two inside ramps. It does take up more space, but it's the only way you can do it at the moment.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Moonraker0

I noticed a problem a while back.  With a "halfway" road x OWR-4 T intersection (road ends at T with OWR-4 but does not cross both tiles of the OWR), where cars can only make left turns onto and off of the road, cars are using the "wrong" lane for turning, as in cars turning left onto the OWR-4 will cross over into the left lane of the right-hand drive road and those turning onto the road from the OWR will turn into the left lane.  They disappear after switching lanes, as it is with any network besides Maxis highway.  I guess this could be sort of realistic, like a continuous flow intersection of sorts, if there were a TuLEP with markings telling cars to switch lanes.  But for now it's more of a problem.

Also, I have experienced cars turning left onto an AVE-2 from a building.  I'm not really that knowledgeable about paths, so it might be that there's no way to prevent this on a one-tile network; I'm not sure.

j-dub

And in real life, at least where I reside, if the island in the avenue is not too deep, cars will cross over the island to go that other direction, not to mention the turning from the wrong lane is not so uncommon, but still frustrating having to deal with those people none the less.

herenthere

Any fixes to allow for some sidewalk space? It's really awkward seeing no sidewalk in a city...
And traffic lights for normal OWR intersecting with NWM-OWR3 etc?

Tarkus

Quote from: Moonraker0 on July 24, 2010, 08:55:19 AM
I noticed a problem a while back.  With a "halfway" road x OWR-4 T intersection (road ends at T with OWR-4 but does not cross both tiles of the OWR), where cars can only make left turns onto and off of the road, cars are using the "wrong" lane for turning, as in cars turning left onto the OWR-4 will cross over into the left lane of the right-hand drive road and those turning onto the road from the OWR will turn into the left lane.  They disappear after switching lanes, as it is with any network besides Maxis highway.  I guess this could be sort of realistic, like a continuous flow intersection of sorts, if there were a TuLEP with markings telling cars to switch lanes.  But for now it's more of a problem.

If I'm following you correctly, it sounds like a crossover path situation.  I'll have to take a look over that one . . .

Quote from: Moonraker0 on July 24, 2010, 08:55:19 AM
Also, I have experienced cars turning left onto an AVE-2 from a building.  I'm not really that knowledgeable about paths, so it might be that there's no way to prevent this on a one-tile network; I'm not sure.

You're right, it's a limitation of the single-tile network.  As far as the game is concerned as far as zone access, it's basically a road with the paths offset a little differently.

Quote from: herenthere on July 24, 2010, 03:39:24 PM
Any fixes to allow for some sidewalk space? It's really awkward seeing no sidewalk in a city...
And traffic lights for normal OWR intersecting with NWM-OWR3 etc?

There are sidewalks on all the networks, if you have zones sitting next to them.  They are admittedly narrow on most of the single-tile networks, but if they were widened, it would throw off the proportions of the rest of the roadway.  Not to mention that it would require a lot of textures and repathing.  As such, I would not anticipate any change on that end.

As far as traffic lights on OWRs, the One-Way Road network does not provide proper support for stop points.  The signals were purposely omitted from those networks for that reason, and because the "tidal flow" mechanism that Maxis used for determining the direction of an OWR cannot flip traffic signals, meaning you'd have signals facing the wrong direction.

That being said, if puzzle pieces along the lines of TuLEPs intersections are used, it is possible to use the network CheckType mechanisms to trick the game into allowing proper signal/stop point functionality with "directional awareness".  Pieces of that sort are actually planned to be implemented sometime in the near future.

-Alex

Tarkus

There has been considerable demand for "One-Way Streets" (not Roads) for awhile now, and after some discussion with z, I'm looking at the possibility of converting the OWR-1 network over from an One Way Road-based override to a Street-based override to fill that need.

I had originally considered the possibility of going that route with the OWR-1 when it was on the drawing board, and it would effectively make a functional distinction between the OWR-1 and the other networks of its type.

The main hurdle would be re-coding the RULs for a Street override and making a few changes to the paths.  As the IIDs will remain the same, and at least in theory, the pathing changes should not have any serious impact given the OWR network's "tidal flow" system, existing OWR-based OWR-1s should remain largely in tact.  The main disadvantages are the lack of natural diagonals on the Street network, and that direction reversal would require rebuilding the network, as there would be no tidal flow.  The lack of natural directional arrows on Street-based networks could be compensated for with T21-based arrows or "ghost arrows" (like on TuLEPs intersections), though.

I thought I would bring this idea to the NWM-using public to see what everyone thinks--feedback is most welcome. :)

-Alex

Ciuu96

One-Way-Streets would be awesome, i have always wanted those as they would be more realistic in small towns or suburbs than OWRs. So in my opinion, they would be a great addition. :)

BTW, just read this wiki article of NWM, and it mentions this single-tile avenue called NMAVE-4. Is it still in plans? Also, it mentions some picture as a proof-of-concept, i would really like to see that picture (couldn't find it from google) just out of curiosity. :)
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)