• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Well, here's how you solve your problem:

a  = 2.25
b  = 1.75
c  = (a² + b²)½ = (2.25² + 1.75²)½  = 2.85
½c = 2.85/2 = 1.425
D  = 45°
B  = arctan (1.75/2.25) = 37.9°
E  = D + B = 45 + 37.9 = 82.9°
e  = ½c / cos E  = 1.425 / cos (82.9°) = 11.53

And that, my friends, it trigonometry for you ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kuewr665

So the terms like STR and DTR are still used. I figured they would have newer terms as it is with roads.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 09, 2013, 11:39:04 AM
So the terms like STR and DTR are still used. I figured they would have newer terms as it is with roads.

I once proposed, in a draft manual of the RRW Manual, that the terms RRW-1 and RRW-2 be used, but I was torn between STR/DTR and RRW-1/RRW-2 over which is more familiar. I ended up using STR/DTR, but left RRW-1 and RRW-2 in parentheses.

As with Roads, MAVE never caught on well. I had the mindset of calling them MAVE-2 because of how the now-called RD-4 and RD-6 are called, but since so many people kept confusing them with AVEs by dropping off the M (and the fact that they rhyme*), the term "MAVE" was killed and replaced with "RD" for being more recognisable and easier to understand than "MAVE".

* - By the way, "NAM" rhymes with "mom", not "fan," or at least that's how I've been pronouncing it, and NWM is pronounced enn-wim. And RHW is are-aych-dub-bull-yew. MIS is pronounced miss, and STR is pronounced stir. Guess how "Ganaram Inukshuk" is pronounced.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Kuewr665

Yeah, something like RRW-1 and RRW-2 was what I had in mind.

Gah-na-rahm Ee-nook-shook?

APSMS

I think I'm more familiar with Tarkus' pronunciation and always thought that NAM rhymed with Ma'am. I never really thought about it as "nom". STR to me was always ess-tee-arr, since I didn't see any vowels or other indicators to how to say it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Swordmaster

Gugu3

You already doing the manual?that made me think you have enough material for the first release... $%Grinno$%
Guglielmo

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: APSMS on November 09, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
I think I'm more familiar with Tarkus' pronunciation and always thought that NAM rhymed with Ma'am. I never really thought about it as "nom". STR to me was always ess-tee-arr, since I didn't see any vowels or other indicators to how to say it.

As of NAM, think Vietnam for a while and how different people pronounce it. As of STR, think of either the Arabic alphabet's near-complete lack of vowel symbols or TXT MSGing where the Latin alphabet is forced to become an abjad.

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 09, 2013, 02:35:10 PM
From the manual:

Is this gonna be where instead of saying "double three double six", I say "three three six six" and others say "thirty-three sixty-six?" Because I say "are are double-yew".

I doubt it's possible to establish an official pronunciation guide for the NAM or cases with only one official pronunciation because, 1, we're reading text and not hearing words so it's hard to know what it's supposed to sound like, and 2, regional pronunciation differences aplenty, and even personal differences, and it's hard to create a single agreeable pronunciation.

Tarkus (Alex) says AVE like the first syllable of Abraham (but with a V instead of a B), but Haljackey says it like the first syllable of Avenue. Alex says emm eye ess, I say miss. "Pee oh eee" (P0E) versus "pee zero eee" (oh-eee is already reserved as a nickname I use for a family member, and because of some pronunciation guidelines I picked up from 8th grade, I almost always refuse to say zeros as o's). Then you have the people who pronounce NAM as enn ay emm, NAM with the a from apple, NAM with the a from awful, NAM followed by "What's enn ay emm"... %confuso
<INACTIVE>
-----

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: art128 on November 09, 2013, 03:00:46 PM
Do we really care how it's pronounced?

It shouldn't be the case, otherwise it'd be a whole 'nother can of worms to deal with, and even if it is, there's no way to limit to just one way to pronounce it.
<INACTIVE>
-----

MandelSoft

Of course, dutch pronunciation will screw up everything! :D

- RHW: air-hah-way
- RRW: air-air-way
- NWM: ann-way-am
- STR: as-tay-air
- MIS: am-ee-as
- NAM: an-ah-am

(actually, all A's (ah's) will be pronounced as the double aa in my name).

Try to wrap your head around those...

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Durfsurn

NAM: Nahm
RHW: Are-ach-double-u
RRW: Are-Are-double-u
NWM-Enn-double-u-emm
STR: Ess-Tee-Are
MIS: Miss

That's how I say them.

Indiana Joe

Quote from: Durfsurn on November 09, 2013, 04:27:37 PM
NAM: Nahm
RHW: Are-ach-double-u
RRW: Are-Are-double-u
NWM-Enn-double-u-emm
STR: Ess-Tee-Are
MIS: Miss

That's how I say them.

What I do as well.  (The 'u's are really pronounced 'you').  Except NAM is en-ay-em and MIS is em-eye-ess.  I usually pronounce the individual letters of all acronyms.

Not that this matters too much when our main form of communication is typed.

JoeST

Same as Durfsurn, except I automaitcally seem to decompose RRW into Real Railway, but the rest I pronounce the acronyms
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Geometry123

My style of pronouncing NAM abbreviations, Filipino style, with a hint of mathlish! $%Grinno$% :D

RHW = Ar-eyts-dobol-yu :D
RRW = Ar2-dobol-yu :P :D
NWM = En-dobol-yu-em ;D
STR = Es-ti-ar :D
MIS = Em-ay-es ;D
NAM = En-ey-em, or Naehm. :D $%Grinno$%
You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

greenbelt

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 09, 2013, 03:03:45 PM
Quote from: art128 on November 09, 2013, 03:00:46 PM
Do we really care how it's pronounced?

It shouldn't be the case, otherwise it'd be a whole 'nother can of worms to deal with, and even if it is, there's no way to limit to just one way to pronounce it.

&dance &dance &dance      Of course this is important and more importantly fascinating!       :satisfied: :satisfied:

Swordmaster

This thread needs less nerdiness, slightly more evil.

This actually means I'm more or less done with pathing.

Pathing mostly goes like this:  ()testing()

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 09, 2013, 02:38:46 PM
You already doing the manual?that made me think you have enough material for the first release... $%Grinno$%
Guglielmo

There's actually been a draft manual since June. The existence of manuals, installers, or similar objects of interest doesn't necessarily mean anything. ;)

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 09, 2013, 02:55:26 PMIs this gonna be where instead of saying "double three double six", I say "three three six six" and others say "thirty-three sixty-six?" Because I say "are are double-yew".

It's mathematical simplification I guess. Personally, I pronounce RRW as "awesome rails".

Cheers
Willy

vester

MTT9

You can call me Matt

epicblunder

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 10, 2013, 05:09:51 AM
This thread needs less nerdiness, slightly more evil.
...pic...
This actually means I'm more or less done with pathing.

reminds me of an xkcd comic: