• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Devotion bugs and technical issues...

Started by jeronij, November 05, 2006, 05:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

QuoteAs for a future solution, you could use another method or tell users the problem when it happens.

Since when hotlinking protection is a problem ?¿ Why should we be compatible with any beta browser?
Also, so far (8 months) no one complaint or notified any problem about this until you posted yours. So I don't think additional measures are needed.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Shadow Assassin

I actually wouldn't worry about it too much, jeronij. Besides, these little hiccups come up from time to time with beta versions of browsers. When FF3 comes out, these problems should be solved, anyway. I've actually had these errors happen a couple of times, usually when I accidentally mistype a link or something.

It's really nothing major.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

sciguy0504

I, too, cannot view photos, smilies or graphics on SC4D, the forums or LEX.  All I get is the dreaded red 'X.'  For example, the SC4D homepage is all red X's and some readable writing.  I'm using IE 7.0, Verizon DSL, and I have Nortons AV and Internet Security.  When I turn off Nortons, which can sometimes cause issues, I still have problems viewing graphics.

simzebu

Kind of off-topic, but is there a way to make the notifications for subscribed topics be personal messages rather than e-mails?
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

JoeST

sorry if its been posted before but for some reason, the forum cookie isnt holding in my cache anymore, it used to keep me logged in all the time, but now it just deletes it after i close the tab, im using Firefox 2.0.0.6
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

Quote from: sciguy0504 on June 21, 2007, 02:01:49 PM
I, too, cannot view photos, smilies or graphics on SC4D, the forums or LEX.  All I get is the dreaded red 'X.'  For example, the SC4D homepage is all red X's and some readable writing.  I'm using IE 7.0, Verizon DSL, and I have Nortons AV and Internet Security.  When I turn off Nortons, which can sometimes cause issues, I still have problems viewing graphics.

SCiguy0504: What you need to do then is put Devotions into your trusted sites and that should correct your problem...

Quote from: simzebu on July 05, 2007, 12:18:52 PM
Kind of off-topic, but is there a way to make the notifications for subscribed topics be personal messages rather than e-mails?

Simzebu: What you need to do is go into your profile on the tabs above and click on notifactions and email under modify profile and from there you can change everythink you need to...

Star.torturer sorrry i dont know what to do for you on that one im soooooooooo sowwies - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

Ive figured out what was going wrong, I had added www. to the start of the address so it was taking me to a site that I had no cookie for, and then on load of any page it was removing the www. so the cookie was there.

Me n00b

Joe

Madeira aka Constantina

A minor issue but not too serious: there's a spelling mistake in the LEX registration page.

'compulsary' should be spelt 'compulsory'.

JoeST

I have been having major issues with the conection to the site just today, it keeps coming back

Joe

ScottFTL

I've noticed a problem with the home page and forums over the past 2-3 days.  The homepage always says "Welcome Guest" even though I have logged in and checked the box to always stay logged in.

I always use the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature to see what's new on the Forums, but this does not work all the time now.  Today, it tells me there are no new posts even though I know that is not true.  This has happened several times now.

I think it is connected to something not working right with the login.  Is anyone else having similar problems?

This all used to work flawlessly for me, and I haven't changed anything on my computer.  I don't think there is a problem on my end, but anything is possible.

--Scott

capo

Quote from: ScottFTL on November 07, 2007, 10:33:23 AM
I've noticed a problem with the home page and forums over the past 2-3 days.  The homepage always says "Welcome Guest" even though I have logged in and checked the box to always stay logged in.

I always use the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature to see what's new on the Forums, but this does not work all the time now.  Today, it tells me there are no new posts even though I know that is not true.  This has happened several times now.

I think it is connected to something not working right with the login.  Is anyone else having similar problems?

This all used to work flawlessly for me, and I haven't changed anything on my computer.  I don't think there is a problem on my end, but anything is possible.

--Scott

I didn't have this problem, but it sounds like you blocked the SC4devotion cookie in some way. If you use IE, please check extra->internet options->privacy->websites and check the list for the SC4Devotion website. Hope this will help you out.

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

JoeST

It also depends what your URL is... there is some discrepancies on this site. having www. and not having www. will actualy affect the saving of cookies and the such so that the homepage at www. will not be logged in because the cookie is saved for the not www. if you get what i mean

Joe

ScottFTL

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I am running Firefox and checked that I have "Accept cookies from sites" selected on the Privacy tab.

Firefox lets you view and manage your cookies individually, so I verified that my cookies are for "sc4devotion.com".  I cleared all of the cookies, just in case something was corrupted on my side.

I'm going to delete the cookies again then try to login from the home page.  Perhaps I can confirm if this is a problem or not.  Stay tuned.

UPDATE #1:  Ok, here are the results on my testing.  I deleted the sc4devotion.com cookie again, restarted the browser, then used the login from the new home page selecting the option to always stay logged in.  I was issues an SC4DevSMFCookie10 cookie that expires Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:32:27 PM - which is exactly the same as my local time when it was issued.  The cookies issued from the home page are expiring immediately - at least when you use the "always stay logged in" option.  I have not tested with a set number of minutes.

UPDATE #2:  Some additional testing... This appears to be caused by the "always logged in" option.  I used that option from the home page and forums, and both times I was issues a cookie with an expiration date set to my local time.  I always used the 1 Month option in the past, so this was my change that caused the issue for me.  I tested setting 60 and 90 minutes from the home page login with the proper results.

So is this the way the cookie is supposed to be issued to keep you logged in always?  My privacy options are set to keep cookies until they expire, which is the default in Firefox - so I think they are being deleted or ignored.  I only mention this in case there is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I have my problem resolved and will go back to the way I was logging in before.  Don't want to miss any more posts on my favorite site.

Thanks to capo and star.torturer for pointing me in the right direction.   :thumbsup:

UPDATE #3  Well, all that testing was for nothing.  The problem has come back same as before.  On the home page, it says "Welcome Guest" but on the Forums page it says "Welcome ScottFTL".  When I use "Show unread posts since last visit", I get nothing.  I'm really at a loss here.  Am I the only one having problems with the forums over the past few days?

Shadow Assassin

To people having problems with SC4D logging you in then kicking you out:

Make sure the link is http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php

It's because SC4D's referrer URL is a little funky, and always insists on sending you to http://sc4devotion.com, rather than http://www.sc4devotion.com, if you log in with the latter. The result is: you have to log in again. And again when you restart the session, and so on.

ScottFTL, don't log in using SC4D's home page, it suffers from the same funky referrer URL problem too. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

callagrafx

As the site has been migrated to a new dedicated server, it will be inevitable that some minor bugs will surface...can these be posted here so Jeroni can sort them. 

Here's the first, after trying to upload an avatar:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

jeronij

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

allan_kuan1992

The LEX is having problems at the moment. I'm getting an error message trying to access it. Does anybody know why?

- Allan Kuan

allan_kuan1992

~mike~

I have fixed the other CTD problem..Now i'm getting another CDT when i start lying down the tram tracks... >:(