• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Devotion bugs and technical issues...

Started by jeronij, November 05, 2006, 05:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacksunny

Yes, I'm sorry, but this is just unfair. Some of the things we are losing are things that everybody should get no matter what. I mean our own avatar and no ads I can see but we won't have access to the staff lists?! Seriously?!

jmyers2043

Hello Mithokey

Quote from: Mithokey on July 17, 2011, 02:16:45 PM
Just because I don't post a ton of stuff means I should be punished or something?

I'm puzzled. You can read and post in the forums. You can access various game playing tutorials, gmax tips, texturing hints, peruse the various Mayor Diaries to see how some experts play the game and be entertained and/or be amazed then take those ideas to your own game, you can take a brief look at some future NAM productions, WOW! As near as I can tell you are able to download from the LEX. What exactly is this punishment?

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jmyers2043

Hey Jack

Quote from: jacksunny on July 17, 2011, 02:55:32 PM
but we won't have access to the staff lists?! Seriously?!

I think you still can. There is a black banner/bar at the top of the web page that has a number of links. One says 'staff list' ... Hope this helps.

- Jim

Mithokey

Yes, I 100% understand the ads... but everything else, c'mon! Just ridiculous!! I have never went to a forum which such weird rules... doesn't make any sense to me what-so-ever.

People will not be wanting to come here anymore and will be going to forums like Simtropolis which are free.

jacksunny

Quote from: jmyers2043 on July 17, 2011, 03:10:08 PM
I think you still can. There is a black banner/bar at the top of the web page that has a number of links. One says 'staff list' ...
You mean the one that has links such as Home, Help, Search etc.? Because for me it isn't on there.

jmyers2043

hey Jack

Quote from: jacksunny on July 17, 2011, 03:59:17 PM
I think you still can. There is a black banner/bar at the top of the web page that has a number of links. One says 'staff list' ...
You mean the one that has links such as Home, Help, Search etc.? Because for me it isn't on there.

Oh? Now that's funny. You better be good and not get any negative Karma points as you'll not see the Calendar button either. And a -2 Karma causes the 'my messages' to disappear.  :)  Sorry I couldn't help.

Good Luck

- Jim

jacksunny

oh well...
I wish I could donate and help out but I just can't spare any money.

marsh

Quote from: jmyers2043 on July 17, 2011, 05:49:53 PM
hey Jack

Quote from: jacksunny on July 17, 2011, 03:59:17 PM

Oh? Now that's funny. You better be good and not get any negative Karma points as you'll not see the Calendar button either. And a -2 Karma causes the 'my messages' to disappear.  :)  Sorry I couldn't help.

Good Luck

- Jim

What is implying that he will do anything bad at all. That seems an unnecessary response to his question.

catty

Quote from: jeronij on July 17, 2011, 02:06:41 PM
...Currently there are 11, yes, eleven, subscriptors, or people actively supporting the maintenance costs. 130.000 against 11. Not that bad.

There's only eleven of us   :o  I'm truly shocked that there aren't more people supporting the site, its only 1euro a month or 1.67 a month in NZ Dollars ... even a student should be able to come up with that amount of money.

()sad()
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

MAS71

Quote from: jeronij on July 14, 2011, 09:33:16 AM
Please MAS san, and all other LEX uploaders.

DONT UPLOAD NEW FILES, OR UPDATE EXISTING FILES IN THE LEX for the time being  $%Grinno$% . The missing files in the LEX are lost (6 of them) , and will need to be uploaded again  :(. Any file that is modified currently can also be lost  :o .

When the issue is solved, we will inform you. Downloading works fine for the  moment, but uploading does not, and we are looking whats going on :)

Thanks for your patience  :thumbsup:

I'd try to UPLOAD with new one and UPDATE for existing pages on LEX after Jeronij had some changes.
&apls LEX is working FINE now !  &apls
I could confirmed the LEX worked fine.  :thumbsup:

By the way, For all of users 'LEX-Uploader'  "$Deal"$
I reccomend you confirm to that does your pages working normally just to make sure.  ;)

Thank you again for your hard work and big effort to updated Jeronij san !  &apls

Regards
-K.Masuda

DCMetro2834

Quote from: jeronij on July 17, 2011, 02:06:41 PM
Finally, the mentioned changes are for regular members only. People who belongs to any of the contributive teams who actively participate in the site and in the community keep having the mentioned features.

What is classified as a contributive team? Is it any certified team, or just certain teams determined by the admins  (eg. NAM, BSC, and other big name teams)?

Also, what is "actively participate" determined by? We all do have periods of inactivity at some point throughout the year, whether it be a busy work schedule, or exams for school.

Thanks! :)

DC

marsh

Honestly, if you want people to subscribe be nice about it. Don't treat it like a commercial and give special privileges to people just because they pay, even if they may be a contributing member of the community. Which in my mind, is everyone. You don't just have to make content, or even make it at all to contribute to the community. So where is that line drawn?

If I had money to give I probably would donate. I may only be 17 but I NEED to buy stuff too. Gas? School food? I have little money and my parents don't pay everything and I doubt anyone else's do either. I dislike that you're treating select people better than other members IMO

I agree with marsh. This should not be treated as a commercial enterprise.

You should really look at what happened to Netflix. They increased their rates and made people suffer. Now they are going to lose almost everyone in their business. SC4 Devotion is following the same path as Netflix's. I am a 16 year old student but I know bad business can destroy companies, even non-profit organizations.

I have the same problems as marsh's and we can't afford anything! So give our rights back!
Do re mi
I'm incomplete

Kitsune

ad block... voila, no ads or subscription thingies. Now... I would love to see a financial statement for the forum and lex... I want to see how much things cost. That abouts the only way I'll pay - I want to see the forum's posting a loss or right at the break/even. And to block remote avatars? Thats just plain silly and is a more sign of someone wanting to promote an iron grip on this forum. Its a slow slippery road down where this place is heading from this view point.
~ NAM Team Member

jacksunny

jdenm8

Jesus... These ads take it to a new level of annoying. Less pushing and more ramming more like it and I bet they're using up more bandwidth than Custom Avatars.
A single post on a page and there's three ads. It makes me miss my Ad Blocker when I'm away from my own PC.

I might Donate when the LEX DVD is cheaper (Since the 'eventuall release' for most of that exclusive content appears not to be happening) and when it comes on an actual DVD, but I'll hold off for now.

EDIT: Ooooo 'Top Ten Keyloggers'. Great ad from your providers guys  :thumbsup:
I'll help in my own little ways anyway. Like moving my avatar to Majhost, considering its 21Kb seems to be excessive.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

mattb325

I'm not quite sure what all of the fuss is about to be honest: the simple truth is that this is Jeronij's site.

He pays for this from his own money.

Not only the forums and the bandwidth that they use, but also the LEX which has gigabytes (and is growing exponentially)of active content that is free to download. Hosting all of that content is certainly not free for him, and is not cheap either. If he needs to make changes to people's access based on what they contribute (or pay) in order to protect his own personal finances and maintain the longer-term viability of the site, then that is a matter for him, as this is his site.

Demanding the removal of adverts, reinstatement of features or to see the P&L of the site before donating is a very contrary stance (I'm not trying to have a go at anyone in particular, just looking at the comments).

That you take umbrage at the percieved notion that these changes somehow impose restrictions on you and remind you of a  commercial venture, overlooks a simple reality: that this site IS a commercial venture.

It's just someone else's money that's being spent so that you can enjoy a hobby.

Ramona Brie

It's overload.

I once went to a forum where members couldn't have image signatures or post images until several thousand posts, and even then they had to be 48px in height. In the later days of the forum that post threshold went down considerably on two occasions (it was 1200 or so by the time it closed). You had to have more than 37,000 posts just to be able to have signatures of height 90px. It was draconian, and everybody knew it. Deleting messages was at a similar 10K or so post mark for years, and so was the ability to edit messages (that dropped down to 1681 by the end).

I'm trying to find some material to go along with this (as proof), but the forum's been gone for four years despite its size.

jeronij

Hello to all,

As a reply to a concern expressed by several members, I want to inform that the admin staff is profiling the real coverage of the so called "contributive member", which, as appropiately pointed by some of you , does not cover only custom content development teams. This site has always positively discriminated the community members who give an extra push to the community in any form, be it custom content, mayor diaries, tutorials and whatever it is useful for the community and keeps it alive and willing more. This will continue being so as long as I am the webmaster and owner.

As a recall to all the members posting in these forums, in this topic or in anyone, post like these ones:

Quote from: Mithokey on July 17, 2011, 03:23:17 PM
Yes, I 100% understand the ads... but everything else, c'mon! Just ridiculous!! I have never went to a forum which such weird rules... doesn't make any sense to me what-so-ever. 

Quote from: Kitsune on July 17, 2011, 07:48:57 PM
ad block... voila, no ads or subscription thingies. Now... I would love to see a financial statement for the forum and lex... I want to see how much things cost. That abouts the only way I'll pay - I want to see the forum's posting a loss or right at the break/even. And to block remote avatars? Thats just plain silly and is a more sign of someone wanting to promote an iron grip on this forum. Its a slow slippery road down where this place is heading from this view point.

are very close to a red line that every member agrees to respect and not cross when registering. Dont forget it. No one is asking you to pay nothing, and these comments sound very rude and disrespectful. Everything in the site remains free for every person interested in making use of it. So has it been for all the years this site is alive and so keeps it being after the changes. It is sad to see how quick people forgets that.

Keep posting your feedback, but also keep the forms and education while doing so. Thanks   :)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Simcitler

Any chance to get the "page-number-links" (hope you know what i mean) on the top of each site and not only at the bottom?