• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

P.R. Crastina's Travels

Started by evarburg, October 06, 2018, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

Quote from: pressus on January 15, 2019, 04:47:46 AM
Fortunately, this American style of the original game can be perfectly changed.
Terrains, plants, NAM and other mods, lots, bats, MMPs etc.etc., so everything to our imagination, to model our own preferences  ;)
Hmmm ... and free time to play  :)  This is a big problem sometimes   ;)

Yes indeed. It's a big time sink. Way back when I was playing a on Mac I played on a macbook that I could take with me when travelling. Officially, it was for reading and writing. HA.

And yes, we can de-Northamericanize, but when building big cities, we get locked in pretty fast in that model (visually AND economically), what with a zillions CO$$$ skyscrapers (they're generally beautifully done and a batting feat, I don't argue with that) and transport networks spaghettis :). City Skylines doesn't do anything else either. I wish there were more, ah, prospective in the game, i.e. buildings (and eyecandy) allowing us to try another type of city. (IMO, SPAM is the last innovation trying to at least stretch the economic biases built in the game.) There is Terring's lonely and worthwhile enterprise -- the problem being that as far as I know he's alone in doing what he does [SOMY, in his time, did some futuristic-looking bats, but still in the Mega-Is-Better frame of mind] whereas a frapload of batters are still doing the usual skyscrapers. Which is perfectly OK as it allows realistic players to impressively emulate the present megapoles. Including their decay. But. Where are the green buildings, for instance ? They are beginning to sprout in RL, here and there. There are none legit that I know of in SC4. I would ask for someone to make some, but I'm afraid it would fall on deaf ears. Besides, the good or great batters are busy having fun with their own stuff, and who am I to disturb them ?  :) Then again, if you don't ask, you will never have a chance to get. I might try again !

pressus

You have a lot of reasons in what you write. However, we must remembered that the game has already been going on for many years and what we have at our disposal now is due to the engaged fans publishing their collections on the existing pages.

Green, futuristic buildings - attempts were, this is a little example(I think) from 2010 http://simcitymemo.seesaa.net/upload/detail/image/BiosphereZero1.jpg.html
Sorry guys, I'll be here next week, so good luck!

evarburg

Ah, yes. Thank you. I don't think I had that one. A priori, I downloaded it ! And, as you saw, I posted my not-a-requests-more-like-a-comment ;-) We'll see it if it gets any traction from batters.

pressus

I have some photographic memory and I remember that I saw something in this green style. This is not exactly what you wrote about. It is possible that something so futuristic was on the pages of SimPeg, it was probably "utopian" series. Maybe it is on STEX.  ;)
Yes, it's now on STEX>PLEX>The Utopian Series, but I think you know it  ;)

A few years ago I ran a list of sites with SC4 additions, in 2012 I monitored 68, including almost 50 Japanese. Many of them no longer exist, and traces of those additions can still be found on the main Chinese site.  :)

evarburg

Indeed : Pegasus' vertical gardens -- I love them. There have also been at least two pseudo-green buildings from Capital City, the Spanish site, one industrial, one commercial (if I remember well.) You'll see them in my MDs at some point  ;)

pressus

Very interesting what will be the effect, I think it will be another tasty feast for the eye  ;)

evarburg

The Present Past

There is not much left from the original settlers, except a little bit of the first village on the north-west side of the Coyla, the Durvage Farm.

... as well as the many churches in the city and their parks – and cemetaries : Zabnis the Younger is into parkifying even old cemeteries. And why not ? They are places of tranquil repose.

Take for instance the Teynman Park – Teynman is a renowned pianist, the one and only celebrity born in Villeray, and is buried there under the big spruce tree ; they named the College after him, among other places in Villeray,

Still, P. R. did have her Kodak moments as two historical relics of the past have been lovingly preserved : the St Frulla's Abbaye and a Franciscan Monastery in what is now aptly named St-Francis Park. St-Francis Park is especially loved as a walking destination, and well-kept by the city –and its citizens. Nothing is left of the monastery itself except stones hidden in the luxuriant vegetation, the main pieces of the (at the time) grand church and the paths that led to the various dependencies.

An impeccably kept lawn, in the middle of the church ruins, has ample sitting room for music or theater in summer (the, you guessed it, Teynman Summer Festival)

That particular park is a favourite outing of school children at Easter – eggs' hunts are organized, people come to picnic and help the local Scouts repair the little stone walls, and couples go to the Well to pledge eternal love, or something. Lots of small or not so small change in that well ! It is dredged each year at summer's end, and the proceeds go to planting trees in the city's parks.

The St-Frulla's Abbaye, being a bit farther away, is a more retired and peaceful destination, but it has its fervent visitors – often painters or photographs in the winter months, as ice from the hidden spring incase the jumbled rocks above the little pond in fantastic sheets. Far less spectacular in the other months, it still is a peaceful place to spend a contemplative afternoon among the greenery.

P. R. has fond memories of Villeray  : it was and hopefully still is is a quiet, pretty little town, with calm and green neighbourhoods. And she liked it even more because it didn't feel like a city, despite being almost 196 000 hb strong. The same applies to the other cities of the Eden Bay region, P. R. soon found out. The habitat is quite widely disseminated all over the territory : as water is abundant, any settler could clear a place anywhere, dig a well and be set for life. And so water is an ever present feature of the city : river, ponds or swamps.

There is also the spring & waterfall below St-Frulla's Abbaye, the Keri Spring, haunted, they say, (but it is true, P. R. Crastina saw it with her own eyes) by a wild llama escaped from a nearby zoo, and that none has managed to capture since. It has been captured only once on film, and it is one of the most popular postcard from Villeray.

pressus

Wonderful, a real miracle  ;)
My general opinion about plants is the same.
First of all what I like most then other are the well-established open-airs:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
spring and waterfall, railway line embankment, The St Frulla 's Abbaye and Fran Monastery, etc. etc. - amazing amount of details ...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: there are plopable people too?
Nature is a great challenge in SC4 - green is life  :thumbsup:

mattb325

dedgren

Well, well, well... Always great to come across the work of a master detailer, especially when rural scenes are involved.  This MD reminds me a lot of a really excellent one I've seen somewhere else.  Hmmmm...

Will be watching closely for more.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

evarburg

Yes, David, I confess, I have been migrating my Simtropolis CJs here (if that is what you remember)... It's a way to get my fix while I can't play --revisiting cities past ; and also I hope to persuade myself to play again even though my main fun is lotting/relotting now that I've dared at last to tackle the SC4 various tools (took me only 12 years ! :P)

evarburg

All in Green Went My Love Riding

When P. R. thinks of her days in the Eden Bay region, she remembers green... and the strong O2 kick ! Logging towns sometimes have an ambivalent relationship with trees and natural habitats, but not here, and not because most of those town dont do much logging any more. All the deforested zones that have not been irremediably built upon are preserved and kept by the city even when they are not bona fide parks, and building permits for them are emitted sparingly.

Empty lawns are frown upon, in Villeray. Home owners are required to keep trees on their property or to plant new ones. Only sick trees can be cut – and must be replaced. At every turn, in every neighborhood, there are trees or stretches of woody areas. With very few paths – to keep those places pristine, people have to be kept off, and they are, as those zones are generally densely packed with greenery.

Some fearless nature lovers do hike here and there. If they meet bears – or the not so mythical wild lama – it's their luck : the wildlife is not used to having humans around, and so not very shy. But bears et al. have plenty to eat and keep to themselves. And so, in short, it can be said that the whole region, and especially Villeray, is a tree hugger's paradise.  High Tech industries like the greenery. On hot days, people breathe better in the shade. The birds and the bees are happy too ; many home owners are apiculturists ; Villeray's Wildflowers Honey is famous in the whole Eden Bay region, and beyond...

dedgren

Really nicely done waterfall in the third pic!  What are you using for the cliff face rocks?- I see some of Peg's gigunda boulders, but these look different.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

evarburg

Thank you. Those are Murimk MMP Bedrock ; they exist in grey and brown versions, and they are absolutely wonderful !https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26855-murimk-mmp-rocks-pack-2-bedrock/

So are you wholly back or still sharing with CS ? ;)

dedgren

Quote from: evarburg on January 28, 2019, 02:09:24 PM...snip...

So are you wholly back or still sharing with CS ? ;)

Cities what?  I'm sorry, you must be mistaking me for someone else.

[My heart's always been here, in any event]

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

evarburg

Quote from: dedgren on January 28, 2019, 02:44:39 PM

Cities what?  I'm sorry, you must be mistaking me for someone else.
[My heart's always been here, in any event]

David

I can see that in your MD :) You're inviting players to share one of your region or am I completely mistaken ? (I can't play presently, my game is completely borked, and perhaps it is The Hardware (cue sinister music). Until this is solved I can't do anything but obsessively tidy up the millions plugins that I have so niftily categorized in my Stash; it is rather pleasant, in fact, but but I must say it's a rather pale replacement for playing, or lotting.

evarburg

Kathy Vale

Kathy Vale is another borough of the amalgamated Eden Bay City/region, with a rather dispersed population up to about 160 000 hb, much resembling its neighbours, except for the fullfledged airport and its shuttle bus service, smallish but serviceable :

Apart from that, it is a harmonious mix of agriculture, industry and commerce, with calm and pretty residential neighbourhoods, wher you find some repurposed farmhouses.

It is the city where the Zabnis family (ex-mayor, current mayor, future mayor) likes to come and relax, especially with the horse stable Grand-Dad had built for his grand-daughter Cora's children :

...and again water, water everythere :  meandering streams, small lakes, ponds and bogs...

Lake Long, which is the deepest, is mostly reserved to boating (except for a small beach), as its banks have been deliberately left wild.

But Kathy Vale's watery places have often been left alone, as small wildlife sanctuaries :

eldaldo

Wow, your MMP work is incredible.  I have been away from the community for a several years and it is insane how much the quality of people's MD's have increased, I am blown away, and have no idea how people are achieving this level of beauty! 

PaPa-J

I don't think the creators of the game ever thought this would be possible.  Great work.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Akallan

Wow, that's great, your mmp job is always amazing and you have good ideas through your images! :popcorn:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1