• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on August 19, 2010, 06:27:05 AM
&apls Wow Buzzit,

I'm glad to see such advancement for the energy infrastructure of the game. My only negative feedback that I can think of is the width of the steel of the lattice towers. Is that realistic proportions of the towers? Are they that thick ?   ()what()
hmm you think so?
well now you say it!
how can i tinner the steel without making the towers smaller? i will give it a try when i know!

metarvo

I had to BATtle this same issue when I was starting out with my first set.  I ended up starting over.  ::)  I suppose as a last resort, you could select every steel segment individually and reduce the thickness, which should be an option under Line properties when you select them.  I don't know of any global line thickness reduction method, short of making one segment and making every other segment an instance of the first one, but that would require starting over at this point.  Maybe someone else with more experience than I have at BATting can say otherwise.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Buzzit

hey people
i just wanna notify you all that i will not post as much as i did normally
my vacation is done and school is starting tomorrow
as i have a really busy course to follow(music/ sound design) wich will be really time comsuming
i screwd my last course and im not planning to do that with this one

but this project certainly ain't dead!

Buzzit

heya people!

i got a small update!
the first pylon i want to get in game is the 380 double circuit one
im now busy with a substation pylon for it. but its really compsuming my cpu and memory now so its really hard to work on it properly
but what i got looks good to me!  i just wanted to share what i already have

the substation is based on my imagination and some real-life shots
what do you peeps think of it?

metarvo

It looks good.  :thumbsup:  Are you going to be using it as a transition from 380 kV to the lower voltages, or are you just going to use it as an ending piece for the 380 kV line?

I'm sorry to say it, but the pylons still seem a little thick, particularly on top.  It is possible to make them thinner by opening the model in BAT and selecting each metal section that you want to make thinner, and then entering a lower number for the thickness.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

namspopof

STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

WC_EEND

RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Buzzit

@Metavro
yeh your right its still to thick but... tobad i have such little spare time to work on the project due school i tryed to avoid the remodel suggestion.

i will try to figure out your new suggestion though! sounds promising but i still figure out how  to do that
i tryed to edit the dimensions but thats not it. so  i think it works diffrently so i will figure that out tonight.

oh and its going to be a ending piece for this 380!
im planning to make bigger substations just like you to make lower voltages connect with it :)
but like i said before i want this ending piece function as a powerplant but i didnt had any time to figure pim-x  out anymore so thats another thing
i want to complete this model first before doing so.

@namspopof, girafe and WC_EEND
thanks for the comments glad you guys like it :)

rooker1

WOW...
I'm very interested in this, but I do have to agree with metarvo, the top does look too thick.
I hope you'll be able to release these soon as I have a great place to use these in a project I am working on right now.

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Buzzit

@rooker1

this gives me even more motivation to work on it :)
i will try to atleast work on it every weekend for now.

what kind of project are you busy with now? it made me curious to it!

Sam Johnson

I agree with metarvo and rooker the pylons are a bit thick. But anyway I guess this is one of the most realistic power line sets so far as its progress.  :thumbsup:

awesome work  &apls &apls

cogeo

Do they override (replace) the ingame ones? If not then it may be a good idea to make such a version as well.

Also an additional model, with the colour of the insulators changed from green to maroon-brown would be a good alternative. Imo these should be a little more thick (the "discs" or what enlarged in diameter).

I'm not sure if they are really "thick". The rods at the top definitely look thicker than the rest, but this is a close BAT preview. Better get an ingame shot and compare them to the Maxis ones (it may be preferable to make the base thicker instead).

Buzzit

Quote from: cogeo on September 21, 2010, 12:23:52 PM
Do they override (replace) the ingame ones? If not then it may be a good idea to make such a version as well.

Also an additional model, with the colour of the insulators changed from green to maroon-brown would be a good alternative. Imo these should be a little more thick (the "discs" or what enlarged in diameter).

I'm not sure if they are really "thick". The rods at the top definitely look thicker than the rest, but this is a close BAT preview. Better get an ingame shot and compare them to the Maxis ones (it may be preferable to make the base thicker instead).

i allready thinner the model and it definitely looks better now

well as far as i know is pretty much impossible to replace the maxis ones cuz you can't change the lines.. if that was possible it would definitely be a replaceable model

and about the isolators they are green because the french pylons have green isolators so thats why i made them green

when i start with the german set it will contain brown ones because germany has another type of isolator.

anyways
here's the comparison:

left is the new one(with improved structure at the top but it still needs some polishment)

another shot just like the older one :

its definitely looks better now

edit i updated the pictures with even newer ones.

but im recoverd of my illnes  so i'm of to school again tomorrow so it will take a little time for the next update!

cogeo

Quote from: Buzzit on September 21, 2010, 12:49:09 PM
well as far as i know is pretty much impossible to replace the maxis ones cuz you can't change the lines.. if that was possible it would definitely be a replaceable model

I don't think you have to model the wires as well. Wires are controlled by the game. Just replacing the pylon props/models should be enough. I don't know how many these are, but I can imagine orthogonal, orthogonal cross and diagonal (ie small modifications to the basic model). You may bave to modify your model slightly, so as the insulators coincide with the wires. I think that exact information about the wires' and pylons' placement can be obtained by browsing simcity_1.dat.

i allready thinner the model and it definitely looks better now
left is the new one(with improved structure at the top but it still needs some polishment)

As far as I can see, not only the top, but the base and the whole support structure have been made thinner too. So the top is still more thick than the base. Maybe you should change the top only. I'm not sure how this will look ingame.

but im recoverd of my illnes  so i'm of to school again tomorrow so it will take a little time for the next update!

Take your time!  :)

Buzzit

when i took a second look to some pictures of this pylon type i noticed that  the pylon itself is also somewhat thicker then its RL counterpart
thus the pylon will be slightly remodeld and made thinner. when i got the result i will post the picture!
i'm also gonna remodel some other pylons aswell wich will look far better afterwards!
thats a promise!

Buzzit

okay so i made another small change to the pylon and this is what i have now

if you people still think that its to thick just let me know than i will make a final ajustment on the pylon

this is what its looks like now the model is more accurate to its real life equivalent

i also tryed wiring the lower voltage pylons just for a wire test
don't get me wrong the 380 kv line is my top priority now

here's a small preview about that.

i don't know what is going to be finished after the 380 line i think im then start remodeling some of the others
and than wire those and then the medium voltage lines.

i'm already thinking about something btw
what should i do? whem everything is finished for the first pack shall i make a wireless pack and a wired pack or just a wired one?
maybe you people start thinking: why should you release a wireless pack? its less realistic! and thats true! but then you can use them in more hilly areas
and if i know more about the maxis one maybe i will create a replacement for that one aswell
so let me hear your thoughs!

edit: i made a quick picture with both in a render:

looks awesome imo! (argh im getting exited from my own creations haha! $%Grinno$%)

ps 50 posts yay!

Buzzit

a Small update
i did some remodeling on the Suspension pylon:

this is the result but its not permanent it still needs polishment.

tonight and a part of tomorrow work will continue on the substation :)

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

peter007

yeah it's much better I liked them anyway but this is just some better around the isolators  &apls