• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tram System Transition and Endings Question

Started by Mr_Maison, December 03, 2012, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Maison

I plan on using Tram systems in my new region for the first time and want to make good designs. What are proper ways to either end a tram line or are there transitions with the tracks to other forms of transit?

Gugu3

To end the tram line if you scroll through GLR puzzle pieces you will find loop ends...one with the space to fill in a GLR station :thumbsup:
Speaking about transitions...you can move from GLR to elevated light rail...but probably if you look on the STEX you will find transition from GLR to heavy rail...
hope this helps
cheers
Gugu3

Mr_Maison

Thanks Gugu3!
If I do not go for transition, are there loops on all ends?

Gugu3

yes there are!!!check by scrolling into the GLR puzzle pieces :thumbsup:

Andreas

Technically speaking, you don't need the loop at the end of a GLR line, as the trams are able to "turn around", much like the cars turning around at the end of a road. Naturally, adding a loop makes it looking more realistic for a tram system that has trams with doors on one side only, but it's up to you. I often use a station at the end of a line if there's no room for a loop, which looks pretty realistic as well. Apart from the el-rail transition, you can also use a subway transition, if you use subway in your city.
Andreas

Mr_Maison

Thanks for the info. I usually start my cities with transportation networks based on the regional geography. I'm working on a region of 24 large cities. Do Trams go long distances across multiple cities or are they more local with short to medium lengths like city bus lines?

I know I can do what I want but just asking for reference of realism.

Andreas

Well, in RL, trams are usually meant as short or medium distance form of public transportation, but there are lines that might cross several cities in a metropolitan area (like the Ruhr area in Germany). For the game, it doesn't matter much, the sims will pick whatever they have for commuting. For long distances, faster means of transportation, such as trains and the in-game monorail in particular, might be preferrable (and more realistic).
Andreas

mike3775

Quote from: Mr_Maison on December 03, 2012, 05:47:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I usually start my cities with transportation networks based on the regional geography. I'm working on a region of 24 large cities. Do Trams go long distances across multiple cities or are they more local with short to medium lengths like city bus lines?

I know I can do what I want but just asking for reference of realism.

I have found in game, if I have multiple cities, I am wasting time interconnecting them with Trams pretty much, unless there are stops just across the city boundaries, in which they will take them instead of driving.  But the distance I have found in doing it, the farthest they will take the Tram across multiple cities is maybe 1/4 of a large tile in each city.  What I tend to do to increase ridership is to use Elevated Rail over road, which I have found for some reason, they like to use and then switch to Tram in various parts of the cities