• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Thanks, Wiimesier, dyoungyn, Tyberius, Seaman, and druidlove for the useful feedback on the QCX and the Type D1 situation. :thumbsup:

Regarding the RUL2 implications with the Type D1, the initial consideration that prompted Option #1 has to do with the base networks of not only the top end, but the product at the bottom end of the ramp interface, after the lane drop.  With the current RHW-4 base, the end product at the bottom of the ramp is an MIS--an override network.  The end product of the RHW-2 version is also an MIS, but it is going the opposite direction of the one from the RHW-4 version.  The RHW-3 version, however, produces an RHW-2--the base network, not an override--out the bottom. 

The efforts to make the initial D1 FLEXRamps/DRIs were complicated by this whole matter.  Originally, the idea was to mirror the A1 ramps and have them be RHW-2-based, but having the MIS coming out the end in the direction it was ended up being a huge problem.  Both "un-overriding" the MIS into an RHW-2 (for the RHW-3 version), and trying to flip an MIS to go the opposite direction (for the RHW-4 version) proved to be incredibly unstable prospects, forcing the current solution for the RHW-2 and RHW-4 versions (with no RHW-3 version).

The notion of not having the RHW-3 D1 initiate an RHW-3 override out the top is based on the same logic underpinning the proposed modifications to the FLEX Height Transition (FLEX-HT) and FLEX On-Slope Transition (FLEX-OST), since removing the built-in L1/L2 RHW-2 starter functionality, while making the L1/L2 RHW-2 applications more difficult to use, greatly eases the ability to initiate transitions (and cover adjacency situations--i.e. building an overpass right next to the end of the transition) for all the other override networks, because the product out the elevated end of the transition is now the base (L0) RHW-2, with no overrides. 

However, it does sound like the existing ability to have the RHW-4 be auto-initiated with the current D1 setup is a popular feature, which may point more to Option #3 being the eventual solution.

Now, onto the QCX matter, the idea was to try to find a balance, wherein the end product is at least somewhat realistic in design, but compact enough that it will get ample use from the segment of the NAM userbase that finds the RHW unwieldy.  Yes, in theory, having a D2 ramp instead of an A2 (with the modifications I've made on the entrance version, to get rid of the merge issues that previously existed with that design) would perhaps solve the bottleneck concern, but the issue here is that the networks in question are not the RHW-6S and 8S, but the RHW-6C and 8C

The network that would be required to have the second onramp lane continue, an RHW-10C, does not exist in the mod at present.  There was a prototype for it and the RHW-12S at one point during NAM 31 development, but those networks were shelved at the time because we had not yet made any ramps or transitions to connect it to any of the other RHW networks.  Including them in such an "orphan" state would have served no purpose. Not to mention that with those widths, there would have been high expectations among the userbase for a wide array of different ramp configurations for those networks.  The then-temporary plans to shelve the RHW-10C and RHW-12S (along with the NWM's TLA-9 and AVE-8) were extended indefinitely after the issues with NAM 31, and the desire to try to fill in the many gaps with the existing network slate before resuming plans to add new ones.

The prospect of reviving the RHW-10C and RHW-12S is not off the table (and in fact, I may have even done some work on them since their shelving--none of which has been put into the game or tested yet, however), though if it were to happen, I would imagine that it would not happen until NAM 39 or 40 at the earliest.  And at that point, the prospects of either allowing user-plopover of the A2 ramps with D2 ramps, or revamping the interchanges to avail them of the new D2 ramp availability, would be viable options.

As far as acquiring all the textures for everything, right now, your only real option would be to extract them manually from the .dat files.  MandelSoft did have a repository for his textures, though those were based on the old V4 specifications (with much wider lanes) and are pretty out of date now, with respect to ramp interfaces and curves in particular.  I do have my own personal depositories, though they're kind of split up and not particularly organized, and not particularly complete with respect to things I didn't develop.

-Alex

j-dub

QuoteHowever, in all the cases provided, all have a MUCH LONGER ramp leading to the highway which allows drivers to safely merge over in time to merge onto the highway.  The QCX setup has much shorter ramps at which traffic will bleed onto the intersection hence creating congestion. 

@dyoungyn Ideally while the newer builds should stretch longer, I have actually been on ramp systems scaled that tight like this picture, they start as two lanes at a double turn, merge to one, then immediately merge back on the highway. I personally hate driving that double merge setup if single merge lane road rage races weren't bad enough. My sister had room, but got ran off the road merging, causing her to go off not just the shoulder, but the pavement, so I immediately rolled down the window and cursed the other driver out, and got into a fight with them for not having any consideration and putting us in a dangerous situation. I'm glad to see this setup finally exist in SC4 though.

Tarkus

The holiday armadillo bringeth a little bit more development.  The narrower surface networks are getting the wider RHW support in place now.  Here's the Type 120-Dual version with the L1 RHW-6C/8C.

A little bit more code, some LHD support, and some cleanup on the IID scheme (mostly just with the tiles where the RHWs cross over/under the FTL setups), and the QCX diamonds will be in good shape.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Looks GREAT!!!! Hope to see the same for AVE6/7 with MIS for the ramps.

dyoungyn

AsimPika3172

Merry Christmas!  :bnn: Best RHW ever! Also for more LHD support!  :thumbsup: Waiting for next NAM release soon!  ()stsfd()
I loves Sim City forever!

Haljackey

High-elevation RHW interchanges on Christmas - traffic shows the outlines :P

Happy Holidays everyone!

eggman121

Very much like the Northern Hemisphere @Haljackey

BTW Please throw some of the snow down to Australia. It is a scorcher down here ()flamdev()

And @Alex

You are just doing an awesome job on the RHW side of things  :thumbsup:

I have something that I am caving up at the moment. I will post here once I have enough progress made.

It involves a project that Shadow Assassin SA Started a while back.

Thew. Finally past the Christmas period. I mean its fine except the retail aspect.

I hope everyone had a merry merry time this festive season.

-eggman121

dyoungyn

All,

Wish there was a forum for "RHW wish list". 

On that note, wish there were RHW "Neighbor Connections" for L1 networks and other wider L1 networks like there is for ground. 

Yes, I am away there is a work around and I am doing just that raising the edge upto 7.5 Meters.  However, would been even smother is one could draw across then plop the neighbor connection.

Finally, the Flex L2 is still a little finicky.  One must plop the RHW L2 8/10S in front to make it work.  This would then add an extra square to your network.  This really extends the ramps for "Clover Leaf" L2 Interchanges. 

Seaman

Well, I hesitated to shovel this one into the "show us your interchange thread" as it's not really an interchange. So I placed it here to share my idea with you and maybe inspire one or two people to use the Double Decker Real Highway more often. What it really lacks is the possibility to get smooth curves. But I just had the idea to do something like this. It might be a workaround but it sure looks more spectacular than a regular wide radius curve :D

Since it incorporates FLEXflys, you could also run some RHW under it, just for kicks  :D

Tarkus

That's rather nifty, Seaman!   :thumbsup:  Given that we do have the models done for both L2 and L1 curves . . . the only thing that may be necessary to make DDRHW-4 curves would be the little support columns to hold the upper deck.  The code and pathing is basically a copy-and-paste job.

-Alex

Tarkus

The massive RHW override code re-write that has been codenamed "Project 57-MarkIV" ("P57-MkIV") will be known as "RealHighway Xtreme" (or "RHWx") when it debuts in a public open beta.

Time* to drink some Mountain Dew, and build some "Xtreme" highways!

*There is, of course, no scheduled release date or timeline for release for when you'll be able to build said "Xtreme" highways, per standard NAM Team policy, so save your Mountain Dew in reserve at least until it becomes "imminent".

-Alex

tomvsotis

Oh man, I misread your tweet and thought it was being released now -- I rushed over here with a bottle of Mountain Dew and everything!  ()what()

mattb325

Fun fact, the US Mountain Dew contains caffeine, whereas the Australian version does not...they both taste completely different.  ::)

Either way, this looks very exciting  :thumbsup:

tomvsotis

Quote from: mattb325 on March 17, 2019, 12:01:07 AM
Fun fact, the US Mountain Dew contains caffeine, whereas the Australian version does not...they both taste completely different.  ::)

Wait, really? As an Australian who has lived in the US for nearly a decade, I feel like I should have know this — the terrifyingly luminescent colouring of the US version always scared me off trying it, though!

Durfsurn

Quote from: mattb325 on March 17, 2019, 12:01:07 AM

Actually this is somewhat incorrect. The Mountain Dew most popularly sold here (in Melbourne anyway) is Mountain Dew Energised which unlike its predecessor here does actually contain a load of caffeine ;). I have also tasted Mountain Dew in Japan of all places where it has distinctly less carbonation as well!

Kitsune

Canada also has the caffeine based Mountain Dew. Its how I got through high school a decade and a half ago... a vending machine that like to give you 4 dollars for every 2 dollars put in. :)
~ NAM Team Member

metarvo

Mountain Dew.  My favorite!  Especially the Code Red flavor.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

AsimPika3172

My country Malaysia also have nice Mountain Dew! So very delicious!!!  :D :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

PaPa-J

I hook a 2 liter bottle up to an I.V. and run it straight into my blood stream everyday.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Tarkus

Wow, this really turned into a surprisingly educational discussion about the availability and variation of Mountain Dew in various countries. :thumbsup:  :D

In case anyone really wants to take a sip before the open beta, here's a good chance:

(I think I've shown this one here before, but here's another look at it.)

And if we can get it to work right (it's been very fragile--have been trying to include it since the infamous NAM 31 release, and it worked with RHWx Build 01, but somehow broke down again with Build 02):

Additionally, the L3 and L4 FLEXFly setups are enabled by RHWx.

In case anyone is wondering what all is the plan on the RHW front, NAM 37 will feature a few smaller additions--and while small, I suspect they'll be heavily used (FlexSPUI-V2 and some new ramp interface support).  RHWx is looking like it'll enter the open beta sometime shortly after NAM 37--getting those Three-Level Crossings working properly again is a goal for Build 03 (either it or Build 04 will be the open beta build).  The QuickChange Xpress system won't be in NAM 37 (the diamond setups are only about 55-60% done), but is currently planned for NAM 38.

-Alex