• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

UK Road Textures Mod - Starting project again.

Started by jonoboo, November 15, 2011, 09:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonoboo

Quote from: djp on November 18, 2011, 10:39:26 AM
Well that's rubbish :thumbsdown:

I also have issue with stop points using drawpaths - nearly all diagonal road/road junctions show the stop point on the wrong side

That corner looks good btw

Yeah I have a similar issue with stop points. I cba to look into it at this point. I have no idea where to start with pathing.

On another note, I notice your diagonals look like the Euro Road Textures? Are you having issues with the diagonal UK textures?
Meh!

djp

I left my Euro mod installed and loaded the UK mod after so the updates would replace the Euro junctions
If I remove the Euro mod, anything not covered by the UK mod reverts back to default yellow - are you going to re-do every texture to replace the Euro mod or make this an add-on to the Euro textures to replace certain junctions/layouts, rather than re-doing everything?

I may be able to get the pathing looked at, or let you know how to do it

jonoboo

Quote from: djp on November 18, 2011, 11:33:56 AM
I left my Euro mod installed and loaded the UK mod after so the updates would replace the Euro junctions
If I remove the Euro mod, anything not covered by the UK mod reverts back to default yellow - are you going to re-do every texture to replace the Euro mod or make this an add-on to the Euro textures to replace certain junctions/layouts, rather than re-doing everything?

I may be able to get the pathing looked at, or let you know how to do it

Everything is being redone.

Dexter has pretty much done most of it, I just want to improve on some sections.

He has done the diagonals too, he just missed an exemplar set out, which I have fixed, diagonals have three sets of exemplars for some reason. :/

I was just asking to check whether it was just me with this issue.

Also, getting the pathing looked at would be awesomes.  :thumbsup:

-Jono
Meh!

Dexter

I've done a few prototypes of other textures below:

Most of the textures for the NWM are quite straightforward TBH, just simply changing the double yellow centre lines to white will probably suffice (+ crosswalk markings.etc), but the turning lane networks are a different story.  Whilst fairly common in the US, I can't say I have ever seem such a thing here in the UK.  The only thing that even remotely compares are old S3 roads with an overtaking lane in the middle for both directions to use, but these were only ever used in rural areas.  Anyhow, these are very rare nowadays as most have been remarked to give one direction priorty (like the ARD-3), and the TSRGD regulations now prohibit any new ones from being built due to safety fears.

With this in mind, I propose something like the (5th) texture below to be used for TLA-3, 5 & 7, as this is very common, and in reality functions very much like an unoffical turning lane, but usually have pedestrian refuges every 100 yards or so to prevent people from driving straight down the middle.

Best,
-Matt
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

djp

Jono - I can't promise on pathing, but I'll ask the question. It would be a last job, rather than doing bits at a time - get them all done together.

Matt - I like those, never liked the old "suicidal lanes". I don't tend to use them to much.

MandelSoft

@Matt: If you make the lines in the just next to the diagonal lines solid, I could use it as a replacement for the current TLA Euro Textures ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

Ughhh, those traffic circles look to be the same size as the ones in existing US subdivision side streets. I don't know how often the right turn in the UK is driven legit down there, but when no one is looking, in the US, the left turn is made against the arrows. I can understand that to those who have vehicles with bad turning radius, otherwise I have seen busses go over the curb and almost hit the giant rocks or plants on the other side before the sidewalk. They have not been the most ped safe for me. Where as, a decent roundabout on the other hand seems to get its job done. I never saw anyone go the wrong way around a regular size round-about, since its big, and traffic moves at a much faster rate of speed, instead of listening to the YIELD signs. And did I miss the part determining if you can or you can't both have those traffic circles and regular street intersections, unless the existing rural street puzzle pieces get modded to do just that.

djp

j-dub,
I'm assuming your refering to my mini roundabouts??

This is a test piece that Rivit did when he initially released his TarSealed Street Mod upgrade.
Due to the fact it changed every street junction into a mini roundabout, it didn't make the final release - but I like it, so kept it installed

1 - Street dragged across the end of a road keeps a traditional "T" or "X" junction
2 - Ploppable "Fancy Y"
3 - Street "T" dragged onto a road stub
4 - Default street roundabout
5 - Street "X"
6 - Street "T"

You override the mini roundabout using a diagonal street "T"

Ron (Rivit) has said he will look at upgrading his TarSealed street mod to fit in with the amended UK Road Mod.

Cheers

David

Terring7

I like the mini roundabouts, they makes the streets more interesting :thumbsup:
May I suggest some props at them, like trees and traffic signals?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

djp

Terring,

I agree, they do make streets a little more interesting.
Thanks for the suggestions - although at this stage they won't get changed again as they were only a trial idea

Once used in a developed area, with a street mod they quite quickly look at home without any other props - and definitely no traffic signls....

Dexter

Those roundabouts do look nice, but as there's no way to choose where they appear I think they would look a bit strange on every single junction.

I did few experiments with the NAM street roundabouts to make them similar to the mini roundabouts found in the UK, although I'm not completley happy with them, I think it's an improvement to the standard ones IMO.

Best,
-Matt
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Terring7

djp, I was thinking about signals like this in the roundabout itself...

... as well as a large tree in the middle of the roundabout, when of course it's grass and not pavement. Something like this...

Just my 2 cents ;D
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

djp

Quote from: Dexter on November 19, 2011, 10:06:07 AM
Those roundabouts do look nice, but as there's no way to choose where they appear I think they would look a bit strange on every single junction.

I did few experiments with the NAM street roundabouts to make them similar to the mini roundabouts found in the UK, although I'm not completley happy with them, I think it's an improvement to the standard ones IMO.

Best,
-Matt

you just have to be a bit thoughtfull when placing street T & X junctions - these only show on the default street mod, none of the SAM textures use it.
Adding a Road or NWM junction also doesn't activate the mini roundabout either.

I like that NAM street roundabout upgrade - can you make it wealth dependent?

djp

Quote from: Terring7 on November 19, 2011, 10:26:13 AM
djp, I was thinking about signals like this in the roundabout itself...

... as well as a large tree in the middle of the roundabout, when of course it's grass and not pavement. Something like this...

Just my 2 cents ;D

I understand now....

I though you meant traffic lights ;D

My thinking on these "mini-roundabouts" is the centre section needs to be empty (no signs or flora/forna) as larger vehicles tend to drive over the island in the middle as the circular street isn't large enough for them to use.
Similar examples around my way in RES areas are all paved so Refuse/Delivery lorries can still use the streets.

This was only a test idea, that didn't make a public release - if there is interest it could be amended depending on peoples ideas/needs

Terring7

That's true, you have right. I can imagine trucks having problems in turning because of the trees ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

Shadow Assassin

Jeez, how did I miss this?

Dexter, with the turning lane avenues, maybe two solid white lines with an open gap in it would be best? That way, if any of us want to use jondor's TLA mod, it won't interfere visually.

Example here (yes, it's Australian, but meh, it's close enough): link

The MAVE ones are bang-on Australian, that's for sure. I think we nicked a lot of UK road markings, actually... :P

I'll definitely use this mod though. With regards to long curves, it's best if you do double lines all the way through (we have cosmetic puzzle pieces for the road network, remember?)

I find the pedestrian crossings on intersections to be a little odd... you can't really see them. Maybe a variant could be done with dashed lines instead of dashed dots?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

jonoboo

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on November 22, 2011, 04:09:00 AM
Jeez, how did I miss this?

Dexter, with the turning lane avenues, maybe two solid white lines with an open gap in it would be best? That way, if any of us want to use jondor's TLA mod, it won't interfere visually.

Example here (yes, it's Australian, but meh, it's close enough): link

The MAVE ones are bang-on Australian, that's for sure. I think we nicked a lot of UK road markings, actually... :P

I'll definitely use this mod though. With regards to long curves, it's best if you do double lines all the way through (we have cosmetic puzzle pieces for the road network, remember?)

I find the pedestrian crossings on intersections to be a little odd... you can't really see them. Maybe a variant could be done with dashed lines instead of dashed dots?

I dont understand what you mean about the double white line.

With regards the crossings, I am re-doing them to make the crossings more visable, Dexter has done a brilliant job with all his work, but I would like to make them more visable.
Meh!