• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

1) First Challenge - In the Name of the Governor

Started by soulchaser, March 17, 2009, 07:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulchaser

<<Region-Planning-Department of Bordertown>>

"Good morning fellow planners, our today's task is to find a way to connect the region, that was entrusted to our safekeeping by Mayor Basil McGrade, who's ancestors discovered this beautiful landstrip, to the adjacent regions by roads. As you all know there's our old railway line, built in the years 1847/48 from the northern hills, rich in coal, to southeastern ports and the first industrial developments. Because of the quite wet soil and the legends about this swath of land nobody settled along those rails yet. Our wise Governor just nominated Mayor McGrade and told him to prepare the first developments.
For this sake, we need to discuss the best way to plan Route 10 which shall cross the region and connect the regions in the northwest with those in the southeast. I've already prepared this suggestion, to avoid to expensive investments within the construction process."

"I was thinking of this course, because we can use the railway to get all the stuff we need to the place, where we need it, so we can start working on multiple sites. Especially the passage across the big river Deachestny is easier to build with this one isle supporting the bridge. So let's see, what the soil survey shows...."

Few years later....

"So we finally made it. Here is the newest modelled 3-D-view of Bordertown, made of remote sensed data. In my eyes, the project is brought to a satisfying termination."

"Especially the bridges at Drake's Islets (E) look great in the scenery. What do you say?"

"Well, the next task is to decide where we try to get our first settlements. Where are we going to dry the soil for a bigger Area?....."

...to be continued...

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mightygoose

heh my rail starts in the same place as your in tile A, you went the other side of the ridge though, no one has bridged in tile D yet, solid route choice.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

mrbisonm

Now that you posted your pictures, you are not allowed to change anything anymore. We made copies and judge the originals only.

We also will not make any comments in this thread besides the judging once it is finished by Wednesday next week, but we will make useful and friendly comments in your regular thread of GRV. Points will be given 3 to 4 days after the challenge is finished and will be posted in the Pointage Sheet (Thread not yet created).
Also your points only together with an explanation and comments why we gave you these points, will be posted here at the end of this challenge.

mrb/lynncanox

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

mrbisonm

First of all let us congratulate You. You have made it through the first Mayor's test.
On the picture below, circles with letters will indicate what was important in your region for this challenge. If we say we don't like or we like, it doesn't mean that it's the same for others. We are judging to our lknowledge and what would be the most logical thing to do in our opinion, remember this.

A.  Good choice to cross the river.
B.  Mountainous terrain cost a lot for building rails, so are the maintenances costs after. Bad idea and bad choice.
C.  One very good choice for the rails and not so good choice to have it partially built on the island, but we accept it for this island only as good.
D.  Having built the road beside the rails or vice versa, was a good observation fom real life.

Although you built the roadbridge over that little island we had no other choice to give you 4 points for the roads and a 3 for the rails. Vey good work and nice picture too. Congratulations and good luck with challenge 2.

Lynn and Fred

soulchaser

Thank you 2 very much for those many points.

I just have to add one thing:
For the rail in B, I calculated slopes and came up with the solution that these are acceptable as in Bavaria, where I live. There are many lines like these when there are valueable ressources.

And yes, you're right with the bridges.  ;)

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

mrbisonm

Very nice picture and very well constructed bridge, no doubt. We judged to our knowledge and info we had of building in the mountains were not necessary in this challenge and as you know that building rails is quite expensive on/through hills and mountains because of keeping the slopes low and terrain levelled. It takes a lot of blasting rock etc. ;)

Fred