• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Trying to use SC4 Tools

Started by evarburg, July 30, 2018, 09:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

Up until now I've only use SC4 tools for T.E-ing lots. It works without a hitch. But  I know it can be used for much, much more than that and I want to branch out --I especially want to use the Dependency tracker.
And hitches rain down.
I have read the tutorial, but, to begin with, what I have on my screen does'nt resemble the tutorial's pics when I try to analyse a lot dependencies ; and then the whole thing gets stuck (the progrma "does not answer" and I am forced to force-quit to close it. A few images might give someone an idea of what is wrong ? :

Something is trying to happen in pic 4, the program was obviously scanning something, as the black line indicates, but it stopped and just ran in circles.

Just in case something is missing in the program, here's a picture of its folder's content :

Hi there,i had the same problem,struggled a lot with it.I started on a journey to try and fix it $%Grinno$%.then i came across this version and installed it,and wala,like magic everything was working fine.I must add that i am running on WINDOWS 7.http://www.simcityplaza.de/index.php/tools-und-andere-downloads/modding-tools  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)Remember to download the version with the a at the end.

mgb204

I wasn't aware there were different versions, however the one I have works fine.

Bear in mind, when an application is busy, Windows loves to tell you its "Not Responding", when actually it's just busy doing what you asked of it. Take a peek in Task Manager, find the application you are using, is the amount of RAM/CPU usage fluctuating?, if it is, the app has almost certainly NOT crashed. Sometimes, you may need to wait a very long time, 5-10m or possibly more. Because like the game itself, it has to read the data on many, many files and most third party apps are not as quick doing this as SC4 itself.

One of the rules for fixing any problem is never to jump in and mess with the complex stuff, before checking the simple. So before you rush to mess with your installation, just be sure this isn't just a case of needing to be more patient with the app.

Andreas

One thing for sure, what you show in the first few screenshots is not the dependency scanner, but the file merger, which can be used to make your own prop packs. In any case, you might have an outdated version of the program, so download the one from SimCityKurier, just to be sure. Also, try to avoid those fancy slide menus with the icons, those might not work properly on some systems, as they were designed for WindowsXP. The top menu bar shold be safe to use, though.
Andreas

evarburg

...er... I DLed it a few months back -- I don't think it's a too old version. But I can reDL (except that the link to "Maxis RCI building screenshots", a file that is recommended, sends to the old, obsolete SimKurier address, error 404.

No doubt I'll be back  :P

evarburg

well. I deinstalled, reinstalled the new download with required stuff. The program freezes anytime I try to use any of the horizontal menus ;

the vertical ones work -- almost ; the Editors are OK (phew, I'll still be able to T.E....)

the Analysis ones... Let' s see...

Building Database OK ; Building reference, OK ; Analyser/Importer : OK

But the two last ones make the program freeze if I try clicking on Scan (or anything else for that matter.)

Advice ?

Andreas

Make sure to check the compatibility settings for the shortcut. Disable "dektop composition" (if available), set compatibility to WinXP SP3 and maybe check "run as administrator". Also, check SC4Tools' options if the paths to your SimCity folders are correct.
Andreas

Hi,i just want to mention also,that on my pc it does not want to scan if you have dat packed files in your plugin foler,first delete the datpack file,scan and do whatever you want to and when finished re install your dat pack file.

Tyberius06

Well certainly won't run the scan if you have files with long names or they are in multiple subfolders and the file name/folder paths pass the 250-260 characters which is a windows limit.
I use DAT packed files very often with SC4 Tool and never have any problem with it.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

evarburg

Well, re the two last posts, the less than can be said is that they are kinda contradictory.  $%Grinno$%
But Both moot, since I don't have anything datpacked in my working plugins folder. :)

I'll try what you suggest, Andreas, (if I can find how, that is  ;) )thanks

evarburg

Hey, it works --apparently. I won't tinker with it anymore tonight, but ... it seems to work !  :thumbsup:

evarburg

(Did I say I would be back ? ;D) OK, I printed the SC4 TOOLS tutorial, but very obviously it refers (image-wise) to another version of the program, and I can't quite follow it to the letter.

Some of it does work -- I mean, I managed to open and examine a file with them. But I can't seem to be able to make the Texture scanner work. If I want to scan a file to check for textures, I am supposed to open that file, right ? So I click on the folder icon that says Scan, then "file". It opens the required window, I open the file... and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, again ?

Tyberius06

Which kind of file would you like to open? The texture scanner (at least for me) is useful if you want to check a dependency pack which textures are in that pack and want to extract PNG files to making custom textures later (that's a more complicated process and will involve some pictures editing tool like GIMP or PhotoShop etc...)
I just did these processes today. For example try to open a smaller texture pack like one of Simmer2's custom lot textures or you can try the BSC Textures vol. 1-3 etc... And you can even try to open the Simcity4_2.dat which contains the vanilla textures. (ok, as big one texture pack is as long it takes to load up so be patient).

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

evarburg

Of course I was wrong : I thought I could scan a lot to check if a texture was in there. That would be in the analyser, dependency checking, right ? But I don't see any mention of a texture in the lot I checked (you know the one  :D)

Tyberius06

Quote from: evarburg on August 02, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
But I don't see any mention of a texture in the lot I checked (you know the one  :D)

In the Dependency Checker there are 4-5 main groups when you check a lot. The first is about the building and lot examplars, then there is two sections which are about where the tool gathered the information from (or something like this), the next section is listing the PROPS (first column is the prop instance IID, than the prop NAME, and the third one is where the prop was found, in which lot/dat etc...), and the last one usually is the TEXTURE section as you can see on the attached picture. Only the list of IIDs and the pack what belongs to.

- Tyberius

evarburg

(of course ! I was stupidly focusing on "Not found" ; if there is a red cross, it means they ARE there ! I can be so dumb... (I guess the discrepancy between my visuals of the windows and that of the tutorial keeps on distracting me !  ::)

Andreas

It would be easier if you just posted a screenshot and describe what you didn't understand. The tutorial should help you to get a general idea what the program can do, there's no need to follow every step literally. :)
Andreas

evarburg

No, I understand what the various tools do :), it's just that I have a bit of a problem reconciling what I see on my screen and the windows shown by the tutorial ; finding the icons for the menus, that sort of thing. I will get used to it.