• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

"make historical" won't work in the long-run

Started by djn, December 27, 2009, 06:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djn

Hi,
I've discovered that "make historical" doesn't work in the long-run with 2x2 and 2x3 (and possibly larger) residential buildings of low and middle wealth. For example, if I "make historical" a large urban ghetto of low wealth apartments, over the span of a few decades a few of the buildings will upgrade to middle or high wealth apartments. The same problem has happened with some of my middle wealth apartments. I've double-checked to make sure I simply missed the "make historical" button on these buildings, but this is not the case.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, is there fix?

Thanks!

Andreas

The "make historical" setting will vanish if the building gets abandoned for whatever reason. If your low-wealth ghetto suddenly upgrades to mid- or high wealth, it might be possible that the R-§ demand is low enough for some R-§ building getting abandoned, and since the other wealth classes show a certain demand, SC4 will replace those abandoned buildings and upgrades them to R-§§ or R-§§§.
Andreas

djn

Thanks for that answer - that's probably what's happening. Is there a mod to keep abandoned buildings from upgrading?

SC4BOY

A good method is simply to assure that R$ demand never goes negative (or if it does it is BARELY neg.. ) Under those conditions I've never had a historical collapse unless some serious bad stuff was happening (for example I did get some abandonment when I went from the CAM 1 to the "residents missing fix" I did have some huge CO$$$'s abandon.. but even then it was managable)

Andreas

Yes, controlling demand (i. e. by the tax level) is always a good idea to develop a city into a certain direction. For instance, I'll try to keep my R-§§§ demand negative most of the time (unless I want to create neighborhoods with fancy mansions and such), so I won't have that many problems with abandoned buildings due to commute times (R-§§§ are prone to complain about the slightest problems and move out immeditately). You can do the same for achieving high-tech industry, for instance. Together with zoning lots of a certain size via the CTRL key, and the tileset selector, and of course a little bulldozer usage as well, it shouldn't be all to hard to create somewhat consistent cities, even with growables only.
Andreas

xxdita

If a building is that important to you, you could always use the LotPlop tool in the extra cheats.dll to plop it where ever it's grown. Then you wouldn't ever have to worry about it upgrading.