• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Change walking speed of your Sims

Started by brick_mortimer, February 04, 2017, 05:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brick_mortimer

Hi folks,

I'm building a European style town and I want to change the walking speed of my sims.

Now... I seem to remember there's an option in NAM or Traffic Simulator called "Encourage Biking (set walking speed to 15 kph)"
But I can't find it when I open Traffic Simulator or when I re-install NAM.

So, what's the answer to my question?

a) There never was an option to change the walking speed of your sims, you're imagining things
b) There used to be an option to change the walking speed of your sims, but it no longer exists
c) You can still change the walking speeds of the sims  but you're looking in the wrong place
d) None of the above  :P

Thanks for your help!

PS if this is the wrong place to ask this, I'm sorry. But I couldn't find a thread about the Traffic Simulator
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mgb204

I don't think such a thing exists, are you perhaps thinking about Cities Skylines here?

There are mods (including one I made with Catalyst) for adding bikers/bike paths into your cities. But all of these are eye-candy, there is no such thing as bike-based transport in the game of SC4.

brick_mortimer

Rereading my post I realise I could've been clearer  %confuso

It's not bike-based transport I'm talking about, I'll edit the topic

It was an option to set the walking speed of the sims to 15 kph (called "Encourage Biking")

Can I change the walking speed in the Traffic Simulator?

mgb204

I certainly don't see such an option. Generally speaking the speeds are set to balance the game, changing one network or traffic type can risk adverse effects. Like with most things, if you want sims to walk more, design your cities around that and your sims will take advantage of it.

brick_mortimer

Thanks for your help  :thumbsup:

So the answer to my question is either "a" or "b"  ;D

Quote from: mgb204 on February 04, 2017, 06:48:52 AM...Like with most things, if you want sims to walk more, design your cities around that and your sims will take advantage of it.
I'm attempting to design a city (center) with lots of options for "foot based transport", but I wanted to make sure my sims see walking as a viable option, i.e. walking is faster than driving.

twalsh102

brick_mortimer,
You're not imagining things.  I too remember seeing such a setting (someplace), although I can't verify if it used to be in NAM.  I suspect it was included in some other mod that was either incompatible with NAM or somehow made obsolete by NAM.  I'll have to look around to see if I still have that mod someplace.

twalsh102

Mystery solved!
In CAM 1.0, RippleJet increased capacities as well as speeds of the various networks over what was offered in the NAM version that was current at that time.  One of the options offered was to increase the pedestrian speed by varying degrees (including the modification you mentioned).

This option is no longer available in CAM 2.1.0

CAM 1.0 is still available here on the LEX.  You could install it to an alternate location (if you happen to already have CAM 2.1.0 installed) and extract the appropriate .dat file relating to increasing pedestrian speed.  It would have to placed to load after NAM.  I don't now what the ramifications would be of using this mod with the current version of NAM.

brick_mortimer

Quote from: twalsh102 on February 04, 2017, 08:36:56 AMMystery solved!
I'm just glad I'm not imagining things  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: twalsh102 on February 04, 2017, 08:36:56 AM
You could install it to an alternate location (if you happen to already have CAM 2.1.0 installed) and extract the appropriate .dat file relating to increasing pedestrian speed.  It would have to placed to load after NAM.  I don't now what the ramifications would be of using this mod with the current version of NAM.
Thanks for the advice  :)
But, like you said, we don't know what the ramifications would be with the NAM.
So for now I'm not going to load anything after the NAM that could effect the Traffic Simulator, just to be safe

Tarkus

The CAM 1.0 Traffic Simulator is based off the older NAM simulators, dating back to July 2007.  RippleJet himself told people not to install it once the second generation of NAM Simulators (Simulators A and B) came out a few months later, and it's even more the case now that we're on the third generation (Simulator Z/NAM Unified Simulator).

When the CAM 1.0 simulator came out, the RHW was in its infancy, and the NWM wouldn't see release for another 3 years.  As a result, all versions of it will pretty much bork RHW, NWM, and TuLEP/FTL system capacities--the AVE-6, for instance, will end up with a full width capacity of 12600, while the default Maxis Avenue will have a full width capacity of 20000.

-Alex

Indiana Joe

In the current NAM traffic simulator, walking speed is already 15 kph.  Here is an excerpt from Steve (z)'s documentation:

QuoteThe value set for Walking Speed is especially important. At 15 kph in Simulator Z, it is disproportionately high compared to other speeds. But this is necessary for the success of mass transit in general. In RL, people have to wait for buses and trains, even the fastest ones, and buses and trains make a number of stops along the way to their destination. Neither of these cases occurs in SC4. And whereas people choose mass transit for a variety of reasons in RL, in the end, speed is the only factor that counts in SC4. This speed may be adjusted by various biases, which are discussed below, but the biases cannot be set high enough to overcome large differences in speed without unbalancing the game.

This is the reason that the walking speed is set as high as it is. In RL, people commonly walk several blocks to a bus stop or subway station. If the walking speed is set too low, then only unrealistically short walks would be permitted by the pathfinder, as otherwise the slower speed of walking dominates the pathfinding, and even short walks can distort the value of taking the subway as preferred to the bus or car. A walking speed of 15 kph is high enough to minimize the effect of walking on pathfinding, yet low enough not to compete with other forms of transportation. So Sims may walk a few blocks, but beyond that, other travel types become more efficient.

So, in summary, the speed has been set so that the distance that most sims will walk is a few blocks.

brick_mortimer

Quote from: Indiana Joe on February 04, 2017, 10:06:35 PM
In the current NAM traffic simulator, walking speed is already 15 kph [...] So, in summary, the speed has been set so that the distance that most sims will walk is a few blocks.
Ah cool, my sims already walk 15 kph :)

Thanks for your help :thumbsup: