• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

My last interchanges of 2018

Click images for full size.

Diamond

Fractional-Angle Diamond

Partial-Y

(Mainline turns here)

Happy New Year everyone!  :bnn: :party: &bis& &dance &dance &dance :squirrel: ?=mad)= :clap:

dyoungyn

May I ask how you were able to get the traffic light in the intersection of the ramps in the first pix labeled "Diamond"? 

The only other way I was able to do it is with One Way roads. 

For MIS, traffic just exits and goes right through without stopping essentially creating an additional lane. 

simonvangenderen

I decided to extend the West-East highway connection from Linston to Pryley. Previously this connection was provided by an avenue just north of this interchange with a substandard highway north of that to Pryley where it ends in another avenue to one of the bigger cities called Sagemoor. This new highway will be a direct connection between Linston and Sagemoor, but the eastern part in Pryley and in the city of Sagemoor are still under construction.

Before:

After:

bladeberkman

Happy New Year!

Finally finished the parcloweave from a while back and wanted to share some closeups. Also, wanted to share another nearby frontage parclo and the interchange they're connected to.

Here's the finished parcloweave:

A closeup of the center:

Love how this one-way intersection turned out:

Here's some wild de-weaving and a diagonal-bridge-enabled area over the uneven terrain below. On the map, this area is a stream, which I'll eventually MMP into existence. This end of the parcloweave is located near the edge of town and connects to the neighboring city.

On the other end of the parcloweave, we transition to the main interchange:

A mega Tarkus Stack:

This thing has... a lot of capacity.  :D I was able to keep it pretty compact, but only if I used a combination of 6C and 6S.

Here's some of the surrounding setup that makes this possible:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the stack, a more modest frontage parclo.

-Blade

Seaman

ahhh... beautiful! This year is starting in high quality :)

mattb325

Great job everyone...that parclo-weave....just brilliant  :thumbsup:

art128

A three way interchange I created this weekend after many tries and headaches.

ps-don't mind the tunnel glitch, i will* fix it.

*one day.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Seaman

@art128: Well that's a triangle  :)

I took some inspiration from bladeberkman's parclo and came up with this thing here. I'm amused by the funky slip lane workaround on the left side since SITAPs don't go together with the usual ones...

Gugu3

pressus

Intersections are getting better, as in this case  :thumbsup:

Now a few general comments on this topic.
Ingenuity is very important. I would like to see here more intersections occupying the smallest area of ​​the city in the game, adapted to the practical, real functionality of the game.
Some projects occupy the area of ​​almost the entire small city in the game. Creating large, expanded visions is not a problem, but the art is to minimize the area occupied and create a good solution. These proposals are not enough. I write this from the player's position of course  ;)
Sorry guys, I'll be here next week, so good luck!

Seaman

Quote from: pressus on January 09, 2019, 03:37:42 AM
Ingenuity is very important. I would like to see here more intersections occupying the smallest area of ​​the city in the game, adapted to the practical, real functionality of the game.
Some projects occupy the area of ​​almost the entire small city in the game. Creating large, expanded visions is not a problem, but the art is to minimize the area occupied and create a good solution. These proposals are not enough. I write this from the player's position of course  ;)

Well, here's my point to this.

Despite amazing developments of the NAM, we are and likely never will be able to recreate such amazing and tight interchanges/intersections like this one because of technical constraints (note the different levels!).

Japanese highways are amazingly tight and they really do not like to waste real estate and use double decker highways in some locations. I am actually still amazed that we do have a double decker RHW in the game and I am very thankful that the NAM team made it more accessible by changing the hights to 7.5 and 15 meters. I sometimes try to include it into my interchanges, but the DDRHW could use an some updates (for example we don't have any smooth curves for it. I bet it's on the NAM to-do list, together with hundreds of other things....). Anyway, something like the interchange shown above is out of the question in SC4 (I believe).

Since I build highways on a regular basis (in SC4 :D), I started to take a closer look on them. At first, those big interchanges that take a quarter of the map looked really waaaay to big for my (player's and European) eye, but especially US American cities are often dominated by interchange monsters that do take up a lot of real estate. Take for example Orlando. Here, the main interchange takes up as much real estate as the highrise downtown area (upper left):

So, I have to admit, that those huge interchanges and intersections which are on display in this thread are not unrealistic. And I am a big fan of bladeberkman's interchanges, because they might seem unnecessary big, but if you try to build something comparable in SC4, you start to realize that he has done an amazing job in making them as tight as possible. I mean it! He is using every trick in the book and is fighting for every single tile (at least I got the impression when I tried to recreate them...)

But there are ways to make tight intersections which are realistic and very easy to build in SC4. Here's one in Houston, Texas:

and here in SC4 (big shoutout to the NAM team, this setup is amazingly stable!):

EDIT:
Regarding the DDRHW, I mentioned above: this is an experiment of mine and I think you can't make it much tighter for the DDRHW.

EDIT EDIT:
ok, maybe you CAN make it tighter, but somewhere here is the limit :D

Seaman

I am really sorry for double posting, but this one is unrelated to the previous post and just cannot wait till 1st of April.

Sometimes, I am just evil...

all credit goes to XKCD by Randall Munroe: https://xkcd.com/253/

Tyberius06

@Seaman:
&apls &apls &apls &apls  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Infinite loop... once you are in, you'll never get out! :D :D
Priceless! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

art128

I agree zith pressus' point about interchanges and I do try to make them as compact as possible, specially since I do built Japanese regions. But as seaman said there are a number of limitation in the game.

Though I have to say it really is something that turns me off from the game quite often is not being able to make an interchange the smallest possible while still being able to use smooth curves.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Indiana Joe

^ It takes some ingenuity, and a bit of  :angrymore:, but the RHW can be surprisingly flexible, and I'm amazed that given enough time to experiment people seem to keep squeezing out a little more compactness from it.  This stack is actually based on a genius design posted by solovinodelmal a bit over a year ago.  I managed to shave off a few more tiles of space here and there, and still at least included some small merge lanes.  If the scale difference between MHW lanes and RHW lanes is taken into account, then relatively, this is not all that much larger than the O.G. NAM stack.  I think the only way to get much smaller would be a flex stack piece that eggman teased a while ago.  Even that wouldn't get much smaller.

-Matt

pressus

@ Seaman, art128, Indiana Joe:
I'm glad that we agree on so many aspects.  ;)
I know that the game creates big restrictions and we can not do everything. What would SC4D be without NAM?
We will not introduce full realism and that is not the point. Everyone has the right to own style, including the style of building a road system. Large, extended intersections will be good in the largest cities, but not in the smallest ones. Designing an intersection that takes up the smallest space is a really big challenge, but it's possible, as you showed in the examples. :thumbsup: Considering all the limitations of the game, they are much harder to do.

The game is an illusion, but it can be a logical illusion.
Therefore, SC4D has a perspective of development all the time.  :thumbsup:

@ Seaman: a super loop - perpetum mobile  ;)

dyoungyn

I to agree that with wild imagination and NAM 36, dreams of close to reality are possible.  Indiana Joe really showed me the true possibilities with Flex curves as I to are taking HUGE T Interchanges and converting them into much smaller foot print with Flex Curves.  NAM 36 took that awful grid system and created a work around and for that we should all be incredibly thankful for the ENTIRE NAM team for keeping SC4 alive and get better and better with each creation.  Just a small example of the possibilities to create smaller foot print with NAM Flex Curves that Alex so graciously showed us all. 

pressus

Yes dyoungyn, this is another great example of getting good effects with NAM, without unnecessary fireworks for the benefit of the later expansion of the existing city of course  ;)

Haljackey

Beautiful & unique creations everyone!

-----

I have created a rather unique connection (partial-y interchange)

Click image for full size.

pressus

Certainly, we can see here the attention to functional aesthetics  ;)