• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Tools on partition Windows in Mac High Sierra

Started by evarburg, November 03, 2019, 01:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

(long winded title...)

So I ugraded my Mac to HighSierra 10.13 (because my keyboard died. Don't ask. It became the can of worms from multidimensional Hell) ; had to reinstall the Parallels partition and Windows 8.1 (well, my tech friend did...) Have been reinstalling my tools programs. Everything works except SC4 Tools. I am having the same problems as I did last summer, and I duly went back to that thread and followed the instructions again (setting the paths for Steam and saving them) -- except if it worked for the T.E. Editor, and some functions seem OK, it doesn't work for the rest (see pict ; I spare you the actual pict. I took).

My question for now is : is there a problem of 32 bits versus 64 bits here ? Or is it something else (than the last time)

evarburg

I play (and lot) on a Parallels Partition running Windows 8.1. After an upgrade of my mac (where the partition is) and a reinstall of both Parallels and Windows 8.1 I checked my usual tool programs ; all work except SC4Tool : some functions work, others don't and freeze the program if I try to open a file

(the "OK?" is for functions that open a proper window but I don't [know how to] use them).
I was worried the 32/63 bits thing might be the problem but I am told that it should not be a concern for SC4Tool used on a mac Parallels partition running Windows 8.1 (and why should it, since the other 32 bit programs work OK? – Reader, L.E., PIMX and DataNode) ; the fact that I upgraded from Yosemite to High Sierra on my mac would be irrelevant, then

So. Exactly what does SC4Tool need to function properly? Windows Net Framework, right? There are two versions of it. The version I downloaded from Simcity Kurier (after consulting a thread about SC4 Tool... dated 2011, though) is dotnetfx. It has "known compatibility problems". The one I used to have (and reinstalled after reinstalling SC4Tool) is NetFx20SP2_x64.

Is there anything more? Can someone tell me from that last pict if something essential is missing ?

Andreas

Uh, did you just put the .NET Framework installer in the SC4Tool folder? Naturally, that won't work, you gotta double-click and install the .NET Framework properly. And as I pointed out in my PN, you might have to install the 32 bit version, even though you have a 64 bit Windows, since SC4Tool is a 32 bit program (I don't know exactly if the .NET Framework installer needs to match the program or Windows itself, bit-wise).
Andreas

evarburg

I did not put it there -- I found it installed there after executing. And that is the version of the NetFramework that I previously had with SC4Tool when it worked... I think --I can't verify, having lost the not-backed-up stuff on the partition before it was reinstalled...)

Meanwhile, having installed a newer version of the Net Framework (NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU), thinking it might help, this is how the SC4Tool file looks like now :

(I'd like a picture of what it SHOULD look like, perhaps it'll help. Anyone ?)

When I try to find a 32 bit version I am directed to a site that offers dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe. When I upload that and execute, I get a message saying that "Microsoft Net Framework4 or an ulterior version is already installed on this computer". (I feel like I'm in a Hall of Mirrors or something...)

So where do I find a 32 bit version ?

evarburg

here I go again, after various computer shenanigans.SC4 tools functions don't function (except the T.E. editor). It opens in Merger (no file paths). If I go to, for instance, Dependencies Scanning, it does scan... something, but if I click Scan File afterwards, a little black line moves at the bottom of that window, then stops and then I get the windows "program does not answer".  So, I screencaptured the SC4Tools folder. Could someone PLEASE tell me what is missing ? (if something is missing)

Andreas

I can't tell what "computer shenanigans" you mean, but since you had problems with SC4Tool so many times before, I wonder what exactly breaks it (or was it always broken for you?). Anyway, I can only advise that you do a fresh start.

1. Uninstall SC4Tool, download it again and reinstall it.

2. Right-click the SC4Tool icon in your start menu, select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Set it to "Windows XP SP3" and check "Run as administrator".

3. Start SC4Tool. Windows will give you a "warning", but just click "Ok". SC4Tool should open without error messages.

4. Go to "Options/Program" and pick the proper paths to your SimCity 4 installation and the plugins folder in your documents. I'm using Win10 here, and the background of the box where the path should be displayed is all black, but that shouldn't matter. Remember to save your settings with the little floppy disk icon before closing the window.

5. Run your desired tool(s) and see if there are still any errors, if yes, please tell exactly what's wrong, if there are any error messages etc.

P. S.: I took the liberty to merge all your topics about SC4Tool, and moved them to the appropriate section.
Andreas

evarburg

Thank you VERY much, Andreas. I will do all that and keep you posted Because You Need That (not) ;)

evarburg

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find NetFx20SP2_x32, (except on two undecipherable Asiatic sites) ; anyone has a link, please ?

Andreas

You still have Windows 8, right? I don't know if the procedure is the same as in Windows 10, but try opening the "Programs and Features" dialogue in the Control Panel and check if the .NET Framework is available via the "Turn Windows features on and off" link on the left side of the window. IIRC, .NET Framework 2.0 is included in version 3.5, so you should be able to install that one.
Andreas

evarburg

Thank you. Got it in the mean time [NetFx20SP2_x86.exe, right ?]-- actually, I had it DLed it and stashed somewhere, but ignoring the naming conventions, I thought it was not the 32 bit version. (insert rolling eyes)

Andreas

Yes, x86 means the 32 bit version. However, you should check if the .NET Framework comes with Win8 pre-installed, but disabled, as described in my posting above. I don't know if the separate installer just does the same thing as enabling pre-installed content in the Control Panel, so both ways might work, but if not, using the built-in one surely is preferrable.
Andreas

evarburg

The story so far, with pictures.

0.Check if Netframework2.0 included : DONE ; the dot instead of the check indicates that it is "partially activated" -- which I assume means that only 2.0 is. (?)

I assume then that the NetFramework.2.0 that I DLed is superfluous ?

1. Uninstall SC4Tool, download it again and reinstall it. DONE

2. Right-click the SC4Tool icon in your start menu, select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Set it to "Windows XP SP3" and check "Run as administrator". DONE, although it's marked SP2, not SP3.

3. Start SC4Tool. Windows will give you a "warning", but just click "Ok". SC4Tool should open without error messages. What I get :

4. Go to "Options/Program" and pick the proper paths to your SimCity 4 (...) : the program freezes, no access to Programs.

:'( :'( :'(

xxdita

Quote from: Andreas on February 09, 2020, 05:15:35 AM
2. Right-click the SC4Tool icon in your start menu, select "Properties" and go to the "Compatibility" tab. Set it to "Windows XP SP3" and check "Run as administrator".

This step fixed any issue I was having on Win10.
It does default to SP2 when you check Run In Compatibility Mode. You then need to manually choose SP3.

evarburg

I'm on Windows 8.1... no manual selection of SP3 (that I saw)

What really discombobulates me is that at some point SC4 Tools DID work (all functions) on my partition. And I just can't find why it doesn't anymore. Can it be that I am now on High Sierra on the Mac ? It shouldn't impact anything on the ***partition*** ???

xxdita

Did you try clicking on the selector? Where it says SP2? That should give a whole range of options.

Andreas

It shouldn't matter if WinXP SP2 or SP3 is selected, the program works just fine for me in WinXP SP2 mode as well. Try to pick some of the other compatibility options, such as the reduced colors and such, maybe there's some incompatibility with the graphics driver or whatever. Since the program did work at some other point, it might be related to a newer MacOS or driver package alright. Alas, I can only give a vague guess, since I never owned a Mac, nor did I use Windows 8. In Windows 7, you had to disable "desktop compositions" in the compatibility tab, but I'm not sure if any of the options that you showed above still relate to that (maybe the "mise à l'échelle" one?!).
Andreas

evarburg

thanks, Andreas ; I'll ask my tech guy  :)

I am this close to buying a for-gaming-only-no-thrills-little PC--which will come with Win 10 ; no partition, no possible interference from mac OS ; if I do and I am back here, the question will be about SC4 on Win 10 (aaargh, eh ?)

xxdita

I haven't had many hiccups with Win10 yet. But I know that BAT or one of the programs for it doesn't work.