• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

To me as an American, i think the dashes on the outside would be more logical than the inside layout we have here, but something tells me that the outside-dashed format would just look weird to me... I could probably get used to  it though.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

I could of sworn in Chi that whoever painted the lines one time did put the dashed out, and the solid in. Where I live it is solid out, dashed in, and it looks ridiculous to see a white solid line on the right side of the left turn lane, and a dashed line in the middle next to the arrow, and a solid yellow line on the left.

You could say its a TLA3, but whats with the paint job?
Now that looks weird. I don't see the NWM going Canadian now. All one would have to do while using Windows XP is to change the texture themselves in paint, and flip the lines, then replace them in the reader. I have Vista though, so its not like I have the privilege  to get to do that type of stuff, and I'm not in Canada, so no outer dashed lines for me.

Ryan B.

Sometimes the center left turn lane becomes a dedicated left turn lane at major intersections.  That looks like that's what that is in your pictures.

puncher1076

Is the TLA-5 dragged based on Avenue? If it is, it would be lot easier for diagonal functionality.
I'm thinboy66 from ST

nerdly_dood

Re: J-Dub's complaint about that turn lane:

That is as Burgsabre said a dedicated left-turn lane. It can only be used by traffic traveling on the side with traffic going towards the camera in the first image. The white line on one side of it is white because traffic travels strictly in the same direction on either side (otherwise it would be yellow), and solid because it can only be crossed if there is an obstruction, such as a disabled vehicle or a meteorite crater in the way. The yellow line is dashed because it indicates passing is allowed on one side only (the side with the dashed line facing it) - NOT because it indicates a two-way turn lane. Around here in southwest Virginia, this setup with passing allowed at the same place as a turn lane is never used: Passing on the side approaching the intersection is not allowed within i guess 500ft or so of the beginning of the turn lane, and traffic going away from the intersection is allowed to pass immediately after they have passed the turn lane on the other side of the road, given that traffic isn't immediately approaching a curve or another intersection.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

Tarkus

It's also almost a given that when the TLA-5 goes diagonal, those diagonals will be wider than the Avenue diagonals so as to have room for the turn lane.

-Alex (Tarkus)

LE0

Yeah why is it that diagonal networks like avenues look weird and narrow compared to orthogonal?
Leoland coming Spring 2009

metarvo

This is mainly because a diagonal avenue simply fits into a smaller space than an orthogonal avenue, so it actually is narrower.  An orthogonal avenue is a 2-tile wide network.  Part of this width is given to the median separating the two directions of traffic, and another part is taken by the sidewalks running on either side of the avenue.  A diagonal avenue, on the other hand, is still a 2-tile network by footprint size, but the entire width of the avenue is visually compressed into the equivalent of about 1.4 tiles.  This does not allow as much room for sidewalks or medians, since the lane width must be maintained, and the turning lane would take the space used for the median, so a wider diagonal avenue would be needed.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

j-dub

Yeah metarvo, there will be widening for a 5 lane diagonal network. Remember, I did a math test with a fifth lane on the avenue, and the games highways try to compress 6 lanes on the same amount of space as a diagonal avenue, don't forget, its tight. The TLA-5 which is road based, but looks like an avenue is going to be longer than the game's avenue, just like the width of glr-in-avenue diagonal,  so you can count on the TLA-5 sidewalk to be bigger, otherwise why go all that way, you know the middle lane can't be too wide.

LE0

Id like to request the NWM also gives diagonal Avenue wider for a median. ;)
Leoland coming Spring 2009

SamJam

Quote from: nerdly_dood on February 04, 2009, 05:53:31 PM
To me as an American, i think the dashes on the outside would be more logical than the inside layout we have here, but something tells me that the outside-dashed format would just look weird to me... I could probably get used to  it though.
Logic is the reason I'd like to see it myself. Although I personally don't find anything wrong visually with having the dashes on the inside, it is actually completely illogical from a traffic law standpoint. Dashes on the inside indicate that the traffic coming in the opposite direction can legally pass into your lane, whereas you are not allowed to enter the middle lane because you have a solid line. It works exactly the same way as a two-lane road with a dash/solid line--if you have the dashed line you may move into the other lane. For a TLA, the dashes need to be on the outside to indicate that you can enter the middle lane, while the solid line on the inside indicates that the opposed traffic cannot enter your lane.

A200

j-dub

The creator would show us if there was.

May or may not have seen this already, but currently the NWM is set up that you can choose to have signals or not on the road turning lanes. This may not be finalized. Yeah, you see some unique not Maxis streetlights over the AvenuexTLA3 in this picture, but that is not this.

thundercrack83

A200: Rest assured that if there is anything to post here in the form of an update that Alex (Tarkus) will do so.

Please refrain from badgering about whether or not any updates are ready, here or elsewhere.

projectadam

I would like to add to the debate with the dashes/solid yellow lines inside or outside on the turning lane (speaking from a United States standpoint since that is what I have been researching). The way that the team has it created with the solid lines to the outside is CORRECT. Something that seems to be getting people caught up is that the lines take on a slightly different meaning when you have three or more lanes of traffic.

Since the examples show a two-way left-turn lane that is never operated as a reversible lane, the solid lines are placed on the outside to delineate the edges of a lane that can be used by traffic in either direction as part of a left-turn. I believe that the reason it is set up as this is that this is the only way, other than using signage and other markings, that a dedicated two-way left-turn lane can be designated. If the dashes were on the outside, the assumption would be that the middle lane served as a dedicated passing lane for both directions of travel and like it was stated, this is not a passing lane but a dedicated turning lane.

I hope that this was able to clear up some of the questions from at least the way that the United States Department of Transportation views it.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

j-dub

It makes sense, but Canada flipped it with their TLA's. But its interesting you bring that point about dashed solid yellow lines having different meaning on roads/highways once it reaches three lanes. On a three lane road in my state, a real ASR (formerly SLR), the one side with parallel traffic has the dashed white lines, but the opposing has just regular dashed yellow lines, instead of the double yellow lines currently associated with this mod. That is for flat land, but when it comes to steep slopes, then the double yellow line is on the ASR.

nerdly_dood

I think it's been mentioned somewhere already - but not all of canada has that kind of line - British Columbia has instead a double dashed line on either side of the turning lane. When one considers that double-dashed lines are never used for any purpose, this seems even more logical than the standard Canadian outside-dashed line layout because a line thats dashed on one side and solid on the other could either mean a center turning lane, or a road where passing is restricted to one side.

=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

Swamper77

Double dashed lines are for variable direction lanes. At certain times of the day, the central lane will change direction to accommodate the traffic flow. So in the morning it might be set in one direction and another in the evening, just to handle the rush hour traffic.

Such lanes usually have signals over them indicating whether that lane can be used in the direction you are headed. A red X indicates the lane is closed, a green arrow indicates that it is open for use, and a yellow arrow indicates that the lane is changing direction soon and you need to leave it when safe to do so.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

projectadam

Quote from: Swamper77 on March 11, 2009, 04:16:07 PM
Double dashed lines are for variable direction lanes. At certain times of the day, the central lane will change direction to accommodate the traffic flow. So in the morning it might be set in one direction and another in the evening, just to handle the rush hour traffic.

Such lanes usually have signals over them indicating whether that lane can be used in the direction you are headed. A red X indicates the lane is closed, a green arrow indicates that it is open for use, and a yellow arrow indicates that the lane is changing direction soon and you need to leave it when safe to do so.

-Swamper

Just wanted to add that what Jan said about variable direction lanes is exactly the way the United States Department of Transportation has it written.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)